Methuen

Akeld

It’s the oldest team competition in the world, not just shooting

The Methuen Cup is shot for by teams of 6 shooters from all branches of the British Military and is hugely prestigious for Regimental honours. It is named after its sponsor, the Lord Methuen

We Civilians used to shoot alongside  in the match until 2005 when the Army bean counters said they couldn’t afford to give us teams from SASC to administer us, so we went our own way and have been doing it as pure Civilians ever since, Lord Methuen kindly gave us permission to use the same name

As I said it’s a team match made up of 6 firers and a non shooting captain and is shot over 5 stages from 300-100 yards

course of fire:

All targets Fig12 or Fig 12c scoring 5&4 for HPS of 50pts

Individual HPS’s 250pts, team HPS 1500pts

stage 1, 300 Deliberate

10rds in 60 secs

stage 2, 300-100 rundown

2 shots prone at 300, 4 shots sitting at 200, 4 shots standing at 100

stage 3, 100 Standing

1 shot standing then 1 shot kneeling, 3 sec exposures repeated 5 times

stage 4 200 Sitting

standing to sitting, 2x 20 sec exposures, 5 shots per exposure

stage 5, 300 snap

10x 3 sec exposures

its a tremendous match and has every element a rifleman could wish for in a match

in recent years we have had about 17 teams on the point in two classes, modern Practical Optic who shoot for the Mauser Trophy and Historic Enfields who shoot for the Mons Trophy

i have tried in the past to generate interest for a team from here, but met with the usual apathy from the top down, so don’t bother anymore, which is a real shame as it’s truly one of the very best shooting matches held anywhere

19 minutes ago, Scrumbag said:

That's a pain, I think you can only get 5rd mags for it. They are detachable so could do a quick changes I guess... Very quick...

You could get away with it in that match with 3 mags....all you'd have to do now is get on a team :-)

43 minutes ago, Scrumbag said:

Well, if you resurrect the UKV team I will happily participate (NRA member and have SCC for scoped rifle)

Nope, I got laughed and derided from the forum owner down, all talk and no shooting

I will do my best to find you a space on a team though....unless someone else will pick up the gauntlet here (although I doubt it)

Where abouts are you?

45 minutes ago, bradders said:

Nope, I got laughed and derided from the forum owner down, all talk and no shooting

I will do my best to find you a space on a team though....unless someone else will pick up the gauntlet here (although I doubt it)

Where abouts are you?

Many thanks. Very sorry to hear that.

I think it is interesting though

1) How much of a hard time us shooters give each other

2) Lots of fun shooting comps you can't find a simple description of such as what you did. (That's a big failing from the NRA in my view)

I wasn't in a team last year until Saturday evening when the Diggle team were a person short. Always worth making it known that you are looking for a place. Or better still, cajole others between now and July to form one. Do the falling plates Saturday evening as well, and make a weekend of it.

Archived