Cormorant predator

GOMX

Out of interest do any of you guys cull Cormorant, these predators will take 1lb-4lb + of fish per day, I look after 28 lakes & rivers , my culling program is strictly control under licence ..rifles of choice depending on which water I'm on , 17Hmr ,204..223..

image.jpeg

Hi don’t do cormorants as I believe it’s 1 mating pair per year ? Not quite sure of cull specific. I have over the years dealt and culled Canada geese, done specific culls in large numbers.

rifles used .22 Hornet with moderator or 223 with moderator using 40 gr Bee head with very good results. On odd occasions used 12g semi auto .

Cheers Nick 

good morning,i dont cull anything on water but i imagine that ricochet are a major problem even with light fast bullets and being on fisheries that are fairly close to housing/industrial units etc and of course fishermen.are the licences only issued during the closed season for course fishing/trout and salmon etc. very good sport but not without many problems.i wish you good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

i myself have also culled them under licence with a 22-250 used to stay about 150 to 200 yds back on a bank about 50 feet above the water level never had a problem with ricochet the problem the fishery had was the licence was for 4 sometimes 6 cormorants i would turn up and there could be anything up to 20 on the water did fell like peeing into the wind sometimes ☹️

Several years back a fishery owner applied for a licence to control cormorants on his waters and was promptly granted said licence,  it was for two point four a year???  when he enquired about the fraction and how would he go about shooting point four of a cormorant they  were most unhelpful, I suggested simply removing the "point" from the equation solved the problem.;)

Archived