95gr Sierra TMK for 6br

I've been shooting 105 Amax,but as they will soon be impossible to find, I thought I would give the 95gr TMK a try. Realistically,I can't see myself shooting past 600yds,so they may in fact be a better choice than the Amax. Faster,flatter,but how about wind drift and would Varget be a good powder choice?  Thanks. 

I would imagine there wont be much in it for wind drift given similar BC quoted figures? I have some ready for when my Amax run out but have not actually tried them to date.No doubt Varget would work or H4895 may be better but again these powders I believe are getting rare to source? for long term use,,,,,I,m afraid I don,t know for sure on that as I use solely Vit powders and Vit 140 would be a good choice for the 95,s,,,,,,,,,What I do know about the Sierra 95 TMK is that they will sit quite well up the neck in a typically long throated{for 105,s}  6BR and may prove to be hanging out a bit in this scenario. My 6BR 8 twist is cut with a 60 thou freenore {quite short} and in the following picture you can see its already half way up the neck in a fresh cut chamber.You may like to consider this before ordering in a load of 95,s.

If you cant get a bullet to try ,,,drop me a pm and I can put you one in the post,,,,atb,,,,O

IMG_0279%202.jpg

Morning , I'd try a box of 100 first as if they don't shoot well, I bought 500 thinking they would shoot but I did try them touching lands and up to 80 ish thou jump from memory and with varget but they just wouldn't tighten up . I could of tried different powers etc but I lost interest thinking they were quite fussy. But that may of been my barrel 8 twist pac_nor . Shame because the quality was good. I sold them so can't send 20 for you to try unfortunately. Try them tho they may One hole in yours ?? Btw I had a 104 freebore cut for ? 105 Amax , atb 

Thank you chaps. To be honest, I have a fair few 105 Amax,but I've not been overly impressed by their accuracy. I bought the rifle 2nd hand and it came with load data and ammo for both 105 Amax and 75 Vmax,which I don't dispute. I've tried varying the charge weight and seating depth,with no noticeable difference,but the 75s shot tighter groups,which leads me to believe,rightly or wrongly, that the 95 TMKs may perform quite well. I'm not sure of the freebore,but I believe it was cut for the 105s. 

I also use n140 for my .204,so would give that a try. I also can't help fiddling with my loads, all part of the obsession,I expect.....

cheers

From everything Ive seen and heard the 95TMK is a poor bullet, Ive yet to see anyone get them to shoot consistently small, they always seem to throw flyers or just perform erratically. Its a shame as the 77TMK is a superb bullet as is the 69 but the 95 and 130 just dont seem to live up to the accuracy of their smaller siblings. 

I read an email reply from a Sierra ballistician to one of my friends who asked how he could get the 95s and 130s to shoot, the Sierra guys answer was 'try another bullet' :(

• 2 months later...

Woodlander have you tried the 87g Vmax ? Worth a try 

1 hour ago, Woodlander said:

Thanks,I've not tried these yet,but hearing that they shoot well in the 6br,they will probably be my next choice.

What powder would be a good choice for these?

Vit 140 ,,,,,must be a good place to start ,,,,,,,,,,,,if this don't work then pretty sure something else aint right,,,,,,,,O

Archived