Can the Police refuse to grant a temporary FAC and SGC??

chaz

Hi folks,

I'm beginning to flap a little as my current FAC and SGC run out on the 18th of this month and I've heard nothing.

Around 4 months ago i received a letter from West Mercia Police stating that as they were behind on renewals, partly due to going over to a full IT management system. And as such advised me to apply early for my FAC and SGC. They also stated that if my certificates expired before i received my new ones i will be committing an offence. (as if i didn't know...)

I posted the renewal applications around 2-3 weeks after I received the letter. This gave them between 3 and 4 months to process my new ones. The last bit of the letter told me, that if they couldn't process my tickets in time, i would have to "lodge" all of my shotguns, firearms and ammo over to an RFD until i received them. This will obviously cause me both hassle and money. I was under the impression that if i gave reasonable time to process them, they were duty bound to issue me with S.7 Temporary Permits. Is this correct?

I do intend on calling BASC first thing tomorrow for advice, and then the Firearms Department...

So I know i can get the advice tomorrow, but I thought i'd ask for some constructive comments from UKV members. And whether they have been in the same situation as me. Especially with West Mercia Police?

Thanks.

Chaz

Years ago I had the same "challenges" and wrote a nice letter asking them to issue a S.7 otherwise to stay the right side of the law, I would lodge them with my RFD and submit a claim for my costs incurred thro no fault of my own.

Certain Police Forces in the past have had the policy of not issuing S.7's and a polite discussion usually brings its rewards.

As you've said, speak to BASC in the morning they will have up to date advice and will be most helpful. Your situation is not uncommon sadly.

The Home Office guidance states that renewal applications received in good time that cannot be processed in time should automatically receive a temporary permit. 6 weeks is considered in good time. Sadly this is not a legal requirement and police forces can and do claim that they are too busy to issue the temporary.

The law recently changed so that an automatic extension of 6 months is granted if the renewal is not done in time after a timely application. Sadly again, this change has not yet been activated as the police claim their IT system needs changing first.

Bottom line, as you already plan, talk to BASC, they have a very good record of getting licencing departments to pull their fingers out.

For what it's worth, in Lincolnshire they have a habit of delivering the new certificate on the day the old one expires by which time most people have transferred their guns to an RFD needlessly.

Thanks for the replies both. What is predictable, is them banking my cheque within 2 weeks!

They always seem to be a law (No pun intended) unto themselves.

If the only male in the office, (that i know of) answers the phone i always terminate the call and ring back a short time later.

I've spoken to him 2 or 3 times and he is just rude and indifferent.

It really is a right ball ache, as my nearest RFD I trust is an hours drive away!

I'm shocked that they have got so bad. If i had more time i'd write a letter of complaint to the Police and Crime Commission. But if a lot of people are getting this kind of treatment, He's probably become disinterested by now and ignores them anyhow.

Anyone have any idea how much it's likely to cost to book 8 guns in initially, then monthly storage fee's?

Cheers.

Having only 8 days, and depending on BASC advice and on how i get on speaking with the Firearms Department tomorrow.

As a last resort i'll email John Campion, the Police and Crime Commissioner. Can't do any harm....

I could understand it if i put the request in 2 months after they told me they were very behind.

Some time back when it took 6 months for a basic 1 for 1 variation. I was told they didn't get my paperwork for some weeks after i posted it, putting the delay down to the Post Office. Since then i have it tracked and signed for, so they can't deny what date they received it.

I have news! I'll keep it as short as possible...

I called BASC yesterday and explained my situation. The person i spoke to (Forgot his name) stated that as long as i had sent in my renewal in a timely manner, in his opinion 6 to 8 weeks, and they hadn't had time to do it, i was well within my rights to have S.7 Temporary Permits until they can sort it. Having dug out a copy of the paperwork and letter i sent with my renewals, i had given them just about 12 weeks.

The gent from BASC agreed that in the event that they still refuse my temp permits, he would try and help by giving them a call, but like he said. They are not rules, only guidelines and they are not enforceable.

Anyhow, i called the West Mercia/Warwickshire Firearms dept and spoke to a lady who listened to my woes for a short time. Then told me she was new to the office and didn't know what to do so would go and get some info. At this point, being the cynic that i am, i put my phone on speaker and recorded what she said when she returned a few minutes later. And in short she said, by the time my Certs run out i will have either S.7's or full certificates. After reiterating her statement, i got her name and we ended the call. I only recorded the conversation to cover my butt...

At this point i'm still a little concerned.... But several minutes later the Firearms dept calls me back with a few queries. After sorting a couple of minor points out, he tells me he's doing both my permits as we talk. Now this person seemed to know his stuff very well. So i used the opportunity to ask if he got my covering letter asking if they could change my FAC from "Closed" to fully "Open" on all firearms. Or could they come and check out 3 new plots of land for me if they were not already registered with them. He instantly said, yes I've read your letter and seen the land check forms, you'll receive your Certificates in the next few days and you FAC will be open for all your firearms. I then said, if you're doing my FAC as were talking, is there any chance you could change my authority to buy a .308 Win and Moderator to a 6.5 Creedmoor and a moderator for it. He said yes no problem. Then said, words to the effect of "I'll just put 6.5 mm, then you can choose what 6.5mm you want". Hows that for service! I was stuck for words! Other than saying thank-you very much. And that was it. End of the call.

Now i wasn't expecting that!!

So credit where it's due, he was spot on! I just wish they were all as good as him!

Although, i won't pop the cork until they pop through the letter box.

I just need to decide what 6.5 i want now. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks to the people who responded.

Chaz.

I have always found the FELD to be helpful and in the past have had several conversations which have culminated in them issuing certs and variations without any fuss/problem. It's always worth a phone call in my opinion.

David,

Well,you asked for it! The FLO can't make every decision for you (and still do his/her job)-they can be helpful ! I agree,plenty of good 6.5 cartridges-some are not new,and some are,with the advantage of available (new) rifles. Almost fashion cat walk,really. :-)

Seriously,a good ending with a message--is it not surprising what asking the right people (FLO and BASC) the right questions in the right way,at the right time, can do? Just as miki,et al ,says..There may be a few exceptions still ,where we don't get the ....errr..."full flavour' ...but it seems that the whole FAC proceedures can now be smoother,and harmonius,if communication is timely and reasoned.

gbal

David,

Well,you asked for it! The FLO can't make every decision for you (and still do his/her job)-they can be helpful ! I agree,plenty of good 6.5 cartridges-some are not new,and some are,with the advantage of available (new) rifles. Almost fashion cat walk,really. :-)

But good kit/kitty options.

Seriously,a good ending with a message--is it not surprising what asking the right people (FLO and BASC) the right questions in the right way,at the right time, can do? Just as miki,et al ,says..There may be a few exceptions still ,where we don't get the ....errr..."full flavour' ...but it seems that the whole FAC proceedures can now be smoother,and harmonius,if communication is timely and reasoned.

gbal

David,

But good kit/kitty options.

gbal

I say, I say, I say, you're totally right George. Apologies George, i was having a little joke at your triple post....

Both FAC and SGC arrived this morning, with only a very minor mistake, that doesn't affect me....

In all seriousness, i called the department this morning and spoke to the person who sorted it, and thanked him personally. He seemed a little taken back by my call. But I also remember what it's like to be continually slated by the public in my old job. Despite the fact that half the time i agreed with the public. It was people further up the ladder who were too detached to see the whole picture... so i know how thank-less it can be.....

On another note, i'm now reading up on the various 6.5's. My Lee 2nd Edition reloading manual doesn't even list the 6.5x47L Why would that be the case?? Although, i have to commend Accurate Shooter.com. It has a huge amount of decent info, even on the 6.5x47L... :)

Archived