Long range varminting rifle

Hi All,

I've been lurking in the background for a while now, what a great forum this is!

I've been shooting for many, many years, .243 for fox & small deer, .270 for larger deer.

I now want to look for a longer range varminting rifle, basically for fox, rabbit, crows etc etc.

I'm looking for help and advice with caliber mainly (possibly one of the .22 calibers?).

What accurate distances can I expect from various .22 calibers?

Can I purchase off the shelf?

Should I build myself?

Any help and advice to get me started is very much appreciated.

for varminting there are loads of calibres to chosse from, too many too list, but from what I have seen and heard the best all-rounder would be the 22-250, loads of loading options, loads of rifles chambered in it and it shifts along very fast and from what I have seen of it hits very bloody hard. 6BR would also be a nice round for longer range varminting due to heavier bullets etc for wind, it depends really on how far you are wanting to reach, if you are going within say 350 yards probably one of the .22's or .20's would be good but if youre going any further you might want to look into 6mm and upwards to use heavier bullets. I shoot a .204 ruger which I am finding very good, I havent shot further than 320 yards with it but its doing the job for me. Obviously building a rifle will get you supreme accuracy but it depends on what you want to spend, as an off the shelf sako, tikka, cooper and remington will probably shoot half moa with a good load and maybe a little tweak and these will cost considerably less than a custom machine and will shoot plenty accurate for varminting of course if you want a custom rifle just because you can have one then go for it no point in holding back if you dont have too! I would have a macmillan A5 stock, pac-nor 26inch barrel, neskia action in 22-243 middlestead pushing out 65 grainers at over 3700 fps (barrel wouldnt last long but it would be fun while it lasts) I am sure the more knowledgeable on here will come in soon with some better answers.

Hi buddy , A very interesting question :o

Caliber choice is up to you and what range you feel comfortable practicing on paper and engauging pests at!!!

You can always calculate ballistic drop for you rifle / load data - its wind that gets ya!!!!

If you are willing to practice at extented range to see how you and your rifle / load works - Also practice getting accurate measurements with rangefinder and windmeter ....

You may already do this.....................

I personally use a 6PPC out to 400yds in favourble conditions , but when the range gets long and the wind gets up i use my 6.5-284 using high ballistic co-effecent bullets , The reason for using high BC bullets is you get less wind divergence at extended range ( practice will show this ) ..

If you chose a 22 centrefire i would be tempted to go for a fast twist , As with range - your practice will soon show what the combination and yourself is capable of!!! As for factory rifles with fast twist there are a few to chose from!! My good varminting buddy varmartin has a SAKO 75 STAINLESS in 223 which has a 1 in 8 twist barrel , a lovely shooting rifle and good looking too!! ( the rifle that is :o )

I had a 243 ackley which ran the 105 a-max at 3150fps - very accurate and good when the wind gets up!!!!

I am sure there are many answers to your question and i am sure the great bunch we have on here are more than willing to help ;) ;)

All the best.................

RAY............................. :D;)

I also use a 6mmPPC but after 300 yards it starts to struggle a bit (or maybe I do) . I have also been pretty impressed by the 6BR which will go a fair bit further, this link may help

http://www.6mmbr.com/varmint.htm

Off the shelf rifles look at Cooper, excellent value for money.

A

Guest varmartin

As Varminter has said, my sako 75 in .223 Remington ,1~8 twist does all that can be expected from the caliber....with awesome accuracy too. it will shoot any weight bullet from 50 to 80 grains. The best being 65 JLK`s ( 0.8 inch groups at 300 yards when conditions are perfect).( and I do my bit )

For longer ranges ( up to 600 yards I use a 6MM BR ) also 1~8 twist.

Very light recoiling, frugal on powder and will also shoot any thing you stuff in the case from 58 grain vmax to 105 grain high BC`s.

The 58`s are a mile from the lands but if you can vapourise varmints up to 400 yards it don't matter !! ;):o

It will also push the lighter bullets as fast as a 22.250 will. ;)

There are a lot of experienced guys on here so keep reading and then make your choice !!

Martin

Guest 308Panther

Any of the ones suggested would be good....the 22-250 is most likely the varmint king on this

side of the puddle...Followed bt the .220 Swift.

Only problem to the .220 Swift is it eats barrels...big time.

Another fun one to consider would be the 25-06..

I have thought of Ruger Model One Varminter in 25-06 for some time.

308Panther

Hi Tikka,

i wouldn't be the most experienced here,

you've got a 243 already, so that covers the heavier side.

Maybe 222/223 would do, but with a fast twist to cover

the heavier bullet side. My 223 has 1in 12 and in

hindsite a 1in 8 would have been more fun.

22 250 gives off a bit of a bang, sometimes

not nice if you shoot a lot. If you find a burnt out

remy or howa you could get it rebarreld to your

choice of weight and barrel lenght, might not

be much more expensive than a snazzy factory job.

and you get what you want.

edi

Tikka,

If you are sticking to ranges less then 350yds you dont need a fast twist heavy bullet 223, the standard cartridge will be more then adequate.

Longer then that and a 22-250 is the way to go out to 500yds.

If you want to go further get a bigger calibre

All of the above are surpassed ballistically by the range of 6mm cartridges, with the standard 243 arguably being the best of all.

At the ranges you stated plus a bit more a standard twist 6mmBR or a 6mmPPC will give you exceptional accuracy and superior down range ballistics then the .22s

For up to and including 1000yds i would go for a 243 AI or a 6mm AI, with a 91/2 or 10 twist barrel to give you better flexibility with all bullet weights.

1 in 8 twist barrels limit you to heavier for calibre and with that become more speciaised long range outfits.

Ian

Very good advice Tikka. The last .243 i had, shot the g+c custom flatbase h/p,s unbelievably well, and would do anything required of a varmint rifle. As others have said, any 6mm will whup the arse of a .22, at longer ranges, watch the twist rates however, sako / tikka, are 1 in 10 in .243, and mine didnt like anything any heavier than 90 grains, though not all are the same. I re barrelled mine in 6mmbr, and its a lovely cartridge, i,ve yet to take it past 300 yards, but i know it will do it very accuratly. Its relatively quiet, and low recoil too. What are you currently shooting?

Tikka,

Just something to think about but sticking to a .308 bolt head, eg 22br, 6mmbr will give you a lot of options later should you want - more so than going for a .223 bolt head.

If you are going custom, Norman uses Barnard actions and RPA are home grown so hard to go wrong - pick a Mc. Millan stock you like (and wait).

David.

hi to all

the 22/250 is a good round. had three of them sporter and varmint.but like the .243 better with the lighter bullets they really shine. for someone on a buget the rem 700 vls in .243 is a good value at around 645. other then that the 6mmbr.

Hi Tikka,

I saw on a german site that Pete Lincoln does up howa's.

In one case he offered howa checked for all measurements,

trigger reworked (if i remember right) and bedded in a wild dog

stock. At a very good price.

He would also rebarrel, if needed.

Pete did up my rifle last year and if i look back i got a great

rifle at a good price. He managed to pick up a second hand

scope and the package came complete.

The only problem is once you do that you might not want a factory

rifle again...

edi

If you like tikka,s why not have a look at a t3 varmint? they have a nice heavy barrel, and they shoot very well. Whats your budget?

What about the new remmy sps varmint? i,m assuming they come in .243, but they too have a nice heavy barrel, the new remmy trigger, which is good, and it will be a 9 1/8 twist rate, which will stabilise anything, and they are not expensive. The stocks are nowt special, but there are dozens of aftermarket ones available.

Here,s a link.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...rmint_specs.asp

I agree also with the 243 advice and the sako/tikka varmint rifles are as good as they come in factory rifles, Stag 1933 and one of the other lads on here both shoot 243 Sako 75 varmints ( now 85 for a new one) and they are doing the business out to the ranges you quote, very well.

Redfox

Archived