Chrome Moly or Stainless Steel

Sod all difference in performance, but stainless will take less TLC and not rust as fast. SS is normally thought of as prettier - my last TR had one, but I saw no benefit so went back to SS.

Your exact question in in the FAQ on Bartlein website - and their answer is no real difference too.

In general terms, there will be little or no difference apparent to most shooters. From a metallurgical perspective, if you are a world class shot and shoot very hot loads, or your first project is a machine gun, then go for stainless steel - ideally a Series 600 precipitation hardened stainless steel. A stainless barrel is easier to machine to tighter tolerances*, resists erosion and corrosion better and needs cleaning less. For a slightly less expensive barrel go for a 400 series (martensitic) stainless, say 416 or 420 or, even less expensive, a Series 300 (austenitic) grade - say 316L or 317L. Don't select a ferritic stainless barrel.

* Any smith that tells you otherwise may be a good gunsmith but is a poor machinist

In general terms, there will be little or no difference apparent to most shooters. From a metallurgical perspective, if you are a world class shot and shoot very hot loads, or your first project is a machine gun, then go for stainless steel - ideally a Series 600 precipitation hardened stainless steel. A stainless barrel is easier to machine to tighter tolerances*, resists erosion and corrosion better and needs cleaning less. For a slightly less expensive barrel go for a 400 series (martensitic) stainless, say 416 or 420 or, even less expensive, a Series 300 (austenitic) grade - say 316L or 317L. Don't select a ferritic stainless barrel.

* Any smith that tells you otherwise may be a good gunsmith but is a poor machinist

Could you please expand on that info; I'd be very interested. Thanks

That was my choice in the LMT.

I was advised to go for stainless.

Glad I did - cracking barrel.

Wrong analogy

You had the choice between a stainless barrel (a Rock Creek one if I'm not mistaken) and a steel one that has been chrome lined, which, if there were any extraction problems, there'd be absolutely nothing you could do about it

Wrong analogy

You had the choice between a stainless barrel (a Rock Creek one if I'm not mistaken) and a steel one that has been chrome lined, which, if there were any extraction problems, there'd be absolutely nothing you could do about it

Fair enough but I am glad I went with what I did.

Archived