.17 Rem Fireball

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stillair what are you lubing the necks with prior to sizing?

I have had no trouble with the seating die and then full length with mine - albeit with Remington 221 brass.

I use imperial die sizing wax - only needs a tiny bit.

I have a Bulberry double ended form die 20 and 17 but to be honest the seating die method has worked perfectly for me.

Stillair i would say yes that lapua is thicker than remington. You will probably find you will have to turn the necks. For an initial size down you could try a Lee .204 ruger die set, probably about £25 for the set and cut or grind the base a bit. Think I'll stick with remington brass.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of a light weight, manoeuvrable, in cab truck gun with reuced noise but fox capable to about 175yds the 17 Rem fireball seems to fit the bill.

A couple of questions to those of you that have got one is brass readily available (research seems to suggest its not and 221 fireball necked down seems to be the norm)?

Also what bolt face family is it as I'd want a left handed action, again research says it would work with a .223 action???

Presume, but I haven't checked if dies are available?

Powder, primers and bullets seem a plenty.

Cheers Andy

Andy,

If you don't start with a dedicated Fireball action, you could encounter ejection problems. The extractor and ejector are timed differently on 223 length cases and the extractor will release the case before it gets to the ejection port, leaving it lying in the action.

Ken.

Andy,

If you don't start with a dedicated Fireball action, you could encounter ejection problems. The extractor and ejector are timed differently on 223 length cases and the extractor will release the case before it gets to the ejection port, leaving it lying in the action.

Ken.

Thanks Ken,

Ive bought a factory .17 rem fireball just waiting for my variation to come back and the form dies to turn up and im good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived