Sierra TMK 6mm seating depth test

Hi folks , for anyone interested if been out testing these again as last time I first tried them was June ! I used fire formed brass sized in a bushing die +1thou I also just opened a new tub of Varget so used that throughout,all loaded with 28.2 grains . This test was soley a seating depth test , I will confirm the best group ( 2390 ) then move on to an OCW test to hopefully further the accuracy. I learned today that the TMK is fairly jump fussy ! As the first group had a fouling shot thru it the fouler went low by 3/4" just like my 105 Amax does from a clean bore , must admit that it was slightly windy from left and I'd put wind flags out to try to be consistent , target was @200 yards and the orange sticky targets were just under an inch in size . Hopefully I can play with the 2390 load and tweak the powder charge to see what happens, bottom pic was a different test and power etc. cherrs

post-11882-0-16053900-1472500902_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-85189800-1472500927_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-93601200-1472500944_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-57928200-1472500971_thumb.jpg

Top couple of pics are abit dark <_< but bullet seems to like 10 thou jump. I'm also thinking I struggled with heat haze from my moddy!and a bit of mirage hench why maybe the first group was better ? I shot five then waited about 10 mins for each 5 shot group! As can see id sprayed targets green but next time dont think ill bother , just use selotape to secure the orange bull's-eyes- Taa

post-11882-0-59556100-1472501532_thumb.jpg

It took a while to develop TMK 69gr loads for my .223 and I discovered that rather than being jump-fussy as such, they were very sensitive to barrel time. I started off at 10 thou and moved back in 30 thou jumps to 130 thou. In my rifle, they are incredibly accurate at 100 thou jump as that gives them the optimal barrel time (ie on a node at the muzzle), and if I do my bit, I get around 0.2 inch average groupings from them at 100 yds.

Given that you were shooting in breezy conditions, it might be worth repeating the test for 2390 and 2395 (little vertical spread on the latter). I didn't notice much change in spread with just 5 thou jumps. They only really started to open up with over 10 thou differences. Just wondering if the 2395 spread is more due to the wind conditions? You may be able to half, or better those groups in still conditions?

Oh that's interesting, 100 thou ? May have to try that . One things for sure I'll test early morning next time so nice cool air and hopefully not much wind ! Maybe Thursday or Friday

It'll vary from rifle to rifle but it might be worth looking at larger jumps, starting at 5 or 10 thou and going back in at least (say) 20 thou jumps? You may find two nodes. I've learnt now to work the powder load first, using a 10 thou seating, then I work back on the seating until I find the tightest group. It may not be the best way of doing it but it works for me.

Hi folks , for anyone interested if been out testing these again as last time I first tried them was June ! I used fire formed brass sized in a bushing die +1thou I also just opened a new tub of Varget so used that throughout,all loaded with 28.2 grains . This test was soley a seating depth test , I will confirm the best group ( 2390 ) then move on to an OCW test to hopefully further the accuracy. I learned today that the TMK is fairly jump fussy ! As the first group had a fouling shot thru it the fouler went low by 3/4" just like my 105 Amax does from a clean bore , must admit that it was slightly windy from left and I'd put wind flags out to try to be consistent , target was @200 yards and the orange sticky targets were just under an inch in size . Hopefully I can play with the 2390 load and tweak the powder charge to see what happens, bottom pic was a different test and power etc. cherrs

i found the same sort of thing with 130gn 6.5mm. 5thou was enough to double the group size. bit of a worry when it comes to throat wearing. Im banging the bullt up tight and then dropping back in 5thou jumps. only to find the 5 and 15 were the same but 10thou was double the size. tested twice in carm weather and again just proofing the round on sunday even if the wind was a little tricky i still pulled it off.

I have 10 rounds left. till matt gets the new order in.

Thursday Friday you say??????

Working tomorrow phil but if Friday is good weather i may retest early morning . Come along if you wish there was loads of pidgeons to puff with blitzkings :)

Archived