Steyr Aug upgrades

ChrisP

Hi all

I've just bought a steyr Aug .223 straight pull (not picked it up yet- waiting on a variation to come through!)

I'm looking into a few bits and bobs to make it nice but I'm coming up a little short!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should get and where from?

I'm hoping to use it for c.s.r shooting so have a scope sorted - burris mtac

I really want a ratworx type front rail

And maybe a trigger tamer but can't seem to find them!

Any help??

Low Mill Ranges may have some Trigger Tamers left, but I don't think you'll have much luck with the Rat Works parts.

If you want the quick release barrel conversion, a better charging handle or a brake then I can help with those

Its not the green AUG on Guntrader by any chance?

Bradders , how do you rate the civvy UK AUG ? what can be done to improve it and how does it compare with AR clones?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should get and where from?

I'm hoping to use it for c.s.r shooting so have a scope sorted - burris mtac

I really want a ratworx type front rail

And maybe a trigger tamer but can't seem to find them!

Any help??

I shoot an AUG, and have been down the part pimping route!

Remove a hammer spring - the standard pack has two mighty springs for punching holes in frozen military primers, one works just fine and makes cocking easier.

Trigger tamer - works, needs some light sanding for best fit.

Neu trigger - a stainless clip which goes round the plastic sear - good, works alongside the Tamer nicely - I can get you one if you don't mind a bit of a wait.

Ratworx trigger sear - won't fit the A1 AUG trigger pack (as we get on the Z) without milling a chunk out of it, it's a lovingly produced part but in practice the neu trigger does the job just as well.

Ratworx front rail - you see them on many AUGs swaps the handle for a short double rail for bipods and accessories - I have one on mine - unfortunately they don't seem to be doing them now, worth asking, they shipped mine direct and are extremely helpful

Steyr front rail - Steyr now do a tri rail to replace the front handle - around the £275 mark

Handles - get Bradders to make you one, or have a go yourself running a knob into the split pin hole in the handle. The various US aftermarket onesas they use the A2/A3 handle across the pond, where most of the AUGs here use the A1 handle which is incompatible. I am going to have a crack at designing a custom one of my own this year - will let you know how it goes.

Handloads - the 1:9 barrel is forgiving with most factory ammo at 1MOA, particularly PPU 69 & 75gn match. However I've run up some handloads for foxing which will do .5 MOA using PPU cases (disposable as it launches them a fair way) and 55gn SBKs on N140, I forget the charge, PM me if you want the load and I'll have a look.

Muzzle brake - I found it a massive PIA to find a military style UNF 1/20 thread brake, I eventually found one care of Jon at http://www.cpgdesign.co.uk

Quick release barrel - you can take the barrel off for maintenance (stock off and slacken off the locking screw) bit if you want to amuse folks with barrel quick release fun (it does make it easy to clean) then see Bradders, it's a small workshop job for something which will do the job. I managed to source a set of replacement A2 Steyr parts but it was a massive faff getting them.

I hope to have a crack at CSR myself with it this year :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived