308 v 6.5x47

Swarovski1

I've read the writing off accurate shooter.ive recently stocked up on cases.got about 600.all were once fired and ive prepped and shot most of them again.

Bought the last 100 about 3 weeks ago and stocked up on bullets too.just loaded about 300.i fire 100 most bisley if I get chance.last visit I fired 100 308 and 70x 6.5 06.i didn't realise the throat had worn so much as it's has still been shooting well.probaly best to keep shooting it until it doesn't.

Neil,that's what to do.

Its all covered by an old Swahili proverb (translated ):

"Before a man chooses to give up something of value,he should be sure he has something of equal value to replace it."

works for me.

g

Go the .260rem route and use your existing 308 brass ;)

I've recently found the throat on my 308 is wearing out or should I say worn out.i do love the 308 but do I change to 6.5x47 for a change

I also thought about rebarreling my 308 to 6.5x47 but when the time comes for a rebarrel I think I will just put another 308 barrel on again.

I have quality dies, case trimmers etc for it and I found it to be the easiest calibre to work up an accurate load for.

I can't really afford to be changing barrels that often either so the extra barrel life of the 308 is a bonus as well.

Na 260's are old fashioned now grum.too much messing to neck them down.a mate did that.he won't do it again.buy new.

I guess it depends what you like, I thoroughly enjoy reloading so it's not an issue.

Necking brass down is very simple, and if you REALLY can't be arsed doing anything else, get the rifle built for the brass you plan to shoot with a 'no neck turn' chamber. My 7-08 brass necked down shoots flawlessly, with no signs of pressure, but I do seem to be getting some odd markings around the neck(although I suspect the chamber is to blame) - but nothing to worry about. And that's just necked down in one pass, trimmed to length and away you go.....

The '47' is a lovely cartridge sure there are a few others, 260, 6.5 CM etc.

But I look it this way, most Cartidges have been getting smaller as powders improve ,the '47' is a nice efficient cartridge, smal primer, strong case.

So of we apply the 'bigger is better' logic then people shooting say a 6BR (or even 6PPC?) are wrong, they should be shooting a 243 or even better a 6mmRem - (being Devils advocate here).

6.5x47, nice brass, plenty of bullets and powders, proven track record, designed from the get go for accurate shooting (not just necking down an existing case) and compared to your 308 a real step up.

I've shot one for about 8 years, my 'missing' is not due to the cartridge but due to my errors, when this barrel goes it will be replaced by another 47.

T

Thanks for your input terry.after having my 6.5 06 ive become a fan of the 6.5 calibres.out of curiosity I had a plink before I went stalking.shot this 3 shot group.not bad for 150 fow jump.accuracy is still there.i chronied the 168gr amax load to and they clicked 2722fps.they were doing 2750fps originally but testing was done when temp was twice as warm as today so I expected fps to be down.had 2 roe doe's with my 308 after.

post-12052-0-61937900-1458512050_thumb.jpg

Archived