Good IR illuminator

terryh

Gents

I have little no experiance of NV but trying to obtain some input re. Illuminators ?

A friend in the US now has a PVS 27 which requires an illuminator.

What currently is available that would compliment this grade/type of NV

I realise that this is potentially an open subject, but any pinters would be appreciated?

Thanks T

Hi Terry,

I would suggest either our T20 IR Illuminator or new T501 50mm IR Illuminator.

Both are 25mm dia bodies so easy to mount via a QR throw lever mount.

Both have adjustable power levels.

In setting either up with the PVS 27 set the beam size of the IR to be just over the FOV of the PVS27 with it off the rifle. Don't make the mistake of zooming up the rifle scope and then tightening the focus of the IR to compensate. This could leave the centre portion of the tube over illuminated and cause premature wear.

Cheers

Clive

Terry he needs to be looking at a variable power ir, i use the NM800 with ad-switch and ir pill not cheap but with good tubed like a Pvs27 you can forget a full-on ir torch. Saying that tubes are cheap in the US :wacko:

I have an NM800 with IR pill. Obviously I haven't tried every one on the market but its got to take some beating. My next step is a variable power switch, although you can vary the power on the bog standard model by lightly touching the button on the back. The images illuminated by a NM800 are also clear from 'bubble' distortion. Have to say tho, the T 20 or T 501 seem fantastic value for money. I might buy one just to compare it, see how the money goes this month. Tumble dryers making funny noises.

Benefits of the NM800, TAClight are a very helpful UK company who will bend over backwards to assist you IMHO

Gents

I have little no experiance of NV but trying to obtain some input re. Illuminators ?

A friend in the US now has a PVS 27 which requires an illuminator.

What currently is available that would compliment this grade/type of NV

I realise that this is potentially an open subject, but any pinters would be appreciated?

Thanks T

Terry - PVS 27? Isn't that a military (ie passive) sight? It shouldn't need an illuminator?

I have an NM800 with IR pill. Obviously I haven't tried every one on the market but its got to take some beating. My next step is a variable power switch, although you can vary the power on the bog standard model by lightly touching the button on the back. The images illuminated by a NM800 are also clear from 'bubble' distortion. Have to say tho, the T 20 or T 501 seem fantastic value for money. I might buy one just to compare it, see how the money goes this month. Tumble dryers making funny noises.

Benefits of the NM800, TAClight are a very helpful UK company who will bend over backwards to assist you IMHO

SH you will need the new ir pill from TL also if you are getting the vari-switch.

Terry - PVS 27? Isn't that a military (ie passive) sight? It shouldn't need an illuminator?

BD even with a Raptor you need a tad of ir when there is NO moon or stars about. A 27 sat there still as all that glass from the day scope to dim it down, but it won't need much ir if using a good tube.

BD even with a Raptor you need a tad of ir when there is NO moon or stars about. A 27 sat there still as all that glass from the day scope to dim it down, but it won't need much ir if using a good tube.

What's the 'least IR' available? (I have a Kite, and have never considered using IR with it before)

What's the 'least IR' available? (I have a Kite, and have never considered using IR with it before)

A small amount of IR on even the best kit gives you the benefit of eye shine when its possible to sweep over and miss a target without Matt

The best IR laser out there is the Laserluchs with a variable power button but the quality comes at a price of £600 plus

As suggested the new vari power Nightmaster is a good led torch but more bulky than the lasers

I've used a few led variations from IR Lightbuilds which are good as well but I've always remembered to use reduced power or flood with good tubed gear

A small amount of IR on even the best kit gives you the benefit of eye shine when its possible to sweep over and miss a target without Matt

The best IR laser out there is the Laserluchs with a variable power button but the quality comes at a price of £600 plus

As suggested the new vari power Nightmaster is a good led torch but more bulky than the lasers

I've used a few led variations from IR Lightbuilds which are good as well but I've always remembered to use reduced power or flood with good tubed gear

Matt i would go with either of these, you can use the new Dipol but the beam won't be as clean as the Laserluchs but at a cost.

If I'm honest, I'm not understanding the issue at play!

Is the issue that one of the light source types risks damaging the tube (ie LED / laser /incandescent)

or is the issue that too powerful an illuminator -of any type- could damage it?

If I'm honest, I'm not understanding the issue at play!

Is the issue that one of the light source types risks damaging the tube (ie LED / laser /incandescent)

or is the issue that too powerful an illuminator -of any type- could damage it?

Too much of any light source could damage a good tube.Its the same principle of removing the protective cap off and using it in the day without it being autogated (a kind of safety cut off)

Powerful lasers have a greater potential to damage the tubes as they're a more concentrated beam.They will give you extra viewing range but unless they're top quality the beams are usually blotchy/dirty.The Led torches have a far wider less concentrated beam so they're a lot cleaner at closer ranges

The most damage I've ever seen to tubed is folks leaving the IR on and pointing it at stuff a few yards away

Hi have tried all sorts of ir , pulsar, n1000, nm800 and now firefly and the other night used a T67 with ir wow

These are used on my pvs14 , we were checking distance and got well out past 700yds both had adjustable beams found T67 the tightest seeing sheep and lighting there eyes up but l would say led for digi and laser for tube , Only thing about the T67 big compared to firefly

Hi have tried all sorts of ir , pulsar, n1000, nm800 and now firefly and the other night used a T67 with ir wow

These are used on my pvs14 , we were checking distance and got well out past 700yds both had adjustable beams found T67 the tightest seeing sheep and lighting there eyes up but l would say led for digi and laser for tube , Only thing about the T67 big compared to firefly

Glen, ever used one with a kite?

Yep they are awesome on kite , mate uses nm800 for spotting good eye shine quite good

But if you want to get out there more distance more pin point and you can open it out still gives you good illumination would say T67 is the boy get intouch with Shanky /-) try before you buy ;/) . But size is bigger than nm800

Glen, ever used one with a kite?

I use original Pulsar L808 lasers with my Kite and 14, Envis spotters.. not the later L808S versions which aren't as good.

Have the advantage of being lightweight, compact, focusable with an easy variable power dial.

Come up occasionally secondhand on the forums.

Got mine mounted on a small piece of rail on top of a battery cover screw... got a new one turned up to incorporate it... the only thing you need to be aware of is the small hard washer on the underside of the original acts as a stop to prevent the screw pulling the brass insert out of the body.

Cheers

Fizz

:ph34r:

What wavelength IR is the preference? I keep seeing 850nm quoted, but think that gives ( to the human eye)a red glow (?) Is there a reaspn people aren't picking 940 (invisible)?

The lower band illuminators 808/850 are visible and some animals react to them as they would any light beam.The 940 models are covert but come at the cost of less distance as its adding another filter

The T67 iand T74 are very impressive

Archived