Turret labels

andybrock

Oaken,

I've bought a Sightron S3 6-24x50LRMOA .250 from a forum friend a while ago.

It came with some of your "wraps". But I took them off as Tony and I use different loads.

I'd like a set for my rounds if that's possible? If so, can you tell me what they cost, and what information you need?

Also, I presume it's better to get "real" data from the rifle than from any ballistic calculator?

Cheers

Jamie

hope you kept the windage one as that just standard click values nothing to do with which load your using. so you should only need the drop data for elevation turret

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've thought about getting that done but most of them are pretty thin, I might just see if anyone has got a spare 34mm lying about then just drill and tap a small picatinny section to it.

Cheers

have look NcStar TACTICAL SCOPE RING ADAPTER

Jamie. You have a PM.

I will only make them up from field tested data now.

Too many have to be redone when using balistic calculator apps and I want it to be right :-)

No worries Rup,

As stated, i'll load a few more rounds up and get some data off to you.

Cheers

Jamie

sorry rup, not with you, as far as i remember the windage where just numbers 1-14 left and right for moa.help me outtony

The sightron only has 0-14moa markings on the windage knob and it only counts one way which is daft! This is why I made a wrap for it that indicates both ways with clear left/right indicators.

It also has data on it, set for wind at 10mph at full value. It enables you to turn the dial to a distance for wind in the same way as dialling to a specific distance for elevation.

With practice and a rudimentary understanding of wind drift, it is surprisingly useable and is much more reliable than guessing or holding off.

The wrap is tailored to the ballistics of a specific bullet in the same way as the elevation wrap. This one is set up for my .243 using 87gr vMax @ 3000fps.

So, at 400yds with 10mph full value wind, I dial to 400. If the wind is only 5mph, half the windage adjustment. If the 5mph wind is at less than 90 degrees, reduce adjustment again.

DAFEC782-4904-4A71-97D3-C82EB3FA6CD6.jpg

How do you go about producing such labels, i.e. getting the spacings correct etc., and what are they printed on?

How do you go about producing such labels, i.e. getting the spacings correct etc., and what are they printed on?

I used adobe illustrator to draw it. Spacing doesn't matter so long as they are equal. Once you have drawn what you want then make it as long as the circumstance of the turret and the spacing will be perfect. i have a sticker printer but any printer and selotape around it would do.Took me a while to get my head around it.

Below nightforce windage turret because I really dislike the std one

20140618_131955_zps319ab953.jpg

The sightron only has 0-14moa markings on the windage knob and it only counts one way which is daft! This is why I made a wrap for it that indicates both ways with clear left/right indicators.

It also has data on it, set for wind at 10mph at full value. It enables you to turn the dial to a distance for wind in the same way as dialling to a specific distance for elevation.

With practice and a rudimentary understanding of wind drift, it is surprisingly useable and is much more reliable than guessing or holding off.

The wrap is tailored to the ballistics of a specific bullet in the same way as the elevation wrap. This one is set up for my .243 using 87gr vMax @ 3000fps.

So, at 400yds with 10mph full value wind, I dial to 400. If the wind is only 5mph, half the windage adjustment. If the 5mph wind is at less than 90 degrees, reduce adjustment again.

DAFEC782-4904-4A71-97D3-C82EB3FA6CD6.jpg

got you, mine was just the numbers id not added in any wind value on the windage, but jamie well need to

atb

tony

got you, mine was just the numbers id not added in any wind value on the windage, but jamie well need to

atb

tony

I've been sitting hear reading both you and Oaken's posts and I'm still not sure why it's different for me!? :blush:

Speed of bullet? Would that mean my windage marks would be different??

Jamie

I used adobe illustrator to draw it. Spacing doesn't matter so long as they are equal. Once you have drawn what you want then make it as long as the circumstance of the turret and the spacing will be perfect. i have a sticker printer but any printer and selotape around it would do.Took me a while to get my head around it.

Below nightforce windage turret because I really dislike the std one

20140618_131955_zps319ab953.jpg

Many thanks - I have a Brother printer which prints onto plastic Dymo-style tape - I guess that would do.

Tisme. Nice job.

Think I'll have to get illustrator as pagemaker doesn't scale things well.

DW58. I use a laser printer and uv resistant tape over the top.

Jamie. It is worth having a proper scale that reads in both directions on your windage knob. Your call wether you want to add wind for your bullet. To be honest, for windage, the bullet data is only really useful beyond 250yds and comes down to how well you read the wind anyway. This wrap enables you to apply your wind estimate with minimal fuss.

Btw my 260 at 400yds with target bullets requires 4 clicks (4 inches!) less windage than my .243in a 90 degree 10mph wind, so yes, different bullets do require significantly different correction.

I've been sitting hear reading both you and Oaken's posts and I'm still not sure why it's different for me!? :blush:

Speed of bullet? Would that mean my windage marks would be different??

Jamie

Jamie,

Oaken gives an actual example of differences in wind drift.

Think of the bullet leaving the muzzle as being subject to four main forces-the propulsion from the powder,pushing it 'forwards';the pull of gravity,downwards (drop);resistance from the air,slowing it;and a lateral push from the wind (drift sideways).

The factors that affect how much these forces act on any bullet are mostly determined by that bullets BC (ballistic coefficient-basically it's aerodynamic shape-weight/length) and it's velocity.Each bullet design has it's own BC,different from other designs;the higher the BC and the higher the velocity the less drop and drift.BC is fairly stable (except when going transonic-which is one reason eg 308 can be iffy at around 850 yards),but velocity reduces with distance(time),so drop becomes ever greater as gravity takes hold.

Velocity is a one off push,gravity and wind are operating all the time of flight.

So yes,different BC and weight ,and at different velocities,have different drops and wind drifts-significantly so (as per Oakens example; think ballpark 18" for 243 in 10mph cross wind at 400y,and 25" for 223;and 38" and 51" at 500y)

If you know distance drop is relatively easily dialled in (as with wraps),but wind is just as important,but more tricky since it can't be accurately measured-it changes-all the way to target,but once you have assessed it's strength and direction,good dial in wraps are just as convenient as drop ones(it's shooter 'error' in assessing the wind that is the weak link).

No wind is good shooting condition!

Gbal

Very nice we just need a how to guide now ;)

I'm not very good at explaining but here goes.

In Adobe illustrator

Draw a rectangle any size thats easy to divide into the amount of moa you want + a small amount for over lap. If it's going to be 12 moa something like 12 cm + 2 mm for overlap

Click on "show rules" in view at the top to put a ruler along the top and down the left side.

By placing the arrow on these rules you can drag a line to your rectangle that will be square to it.

Drag four lines (if scope is 1/4 moa for 1/8 moa draw 8 ) into one of the moa subdivisions and place at equal distance apart, making the last one slightly taller. using the ruler this should be easy

Copy and paste these 11 times and you should end up with something that looks like a ruler, with a 2mm blank bit at one end for overlap.

Now put in your MOA/Mil numbers 0 - 11 on the slightly taller lines using the "text" button

Above these now place your distances that have been tested.

Now measure the circumference of the turret and make the rectangle slightly longer (for over lap) To do this "select all" and then type the size in the box on the top right tool bar

The next bit is a bit trial and error but print off, cut out and wrap around the turret. Check to see if it all lines up, it should be very close, if its out just adjust the length as necessary.

On the green one, I done it lined up first time. in the pics you can see the old white marks below the new black but it might take a couple of adjustments. If your using vinyl don't forget it will stretch so don't pull while fitting it.

If this makes no sense at all watch THLR.NO videos on you tube. I think he made one about ballistic turret wraps.

If all else fails and you have a vortex or NF NSX scope PM me and I'll try to make you one, but would like you to make a donation to H4H. It is better to do your self because they are very easy to alter if you need to.

Jamie,

Oaken gives an actual example of differences in wind drift.

Think of the bullet leaving the muzzle as being subject to four main forces-the propulsion from the powder,pushing it 'forwards';the pull of gravity,downwards (drop);resistance from the air,slowing it;and a lateral push from the wind (drift sideways).

The factors that affect how much these forces act on any bullet are mostly determined by that bullets BC (ballistic coefficient-basically it's aerodynamic shape-weight/length) and it's velocity.Each bullet design has it's own BC,different from other designs;the higher the BC and the higher the velocity the less drop and drift.BC is fairly stable (except when going transonic-which is one reason eg 308 can be iffy at around 850 yards),but velocity reduces with distance(time),so drop becomes ever greater as gravity takes hold.

Velocity is a one off push,gravity and wind are operating all the time of flight.

So yes,different BC and weight ,and at different velocities,have different drops and wind drifts-significantly so (as per Oakens example; think ballpark 18" for 243 in 10mph cross wind at 400y,and 25" for 223;and 38" and 51" at 500y)

If you know distance drop is relatively easily dialled in (as with wraps),but wind is just as important,but more tricky since it can't be accurately measured-it changes-all the way to target,but once you have assessed it's strength and direction,good dial in wraps are just as convenient as drop ones(it's shooter 'error' in assessing the wind that is the weak link).

No wind is good shooting condition!

Gbal

A good explanation, thanks Gbal! :)

Jamie. You have a PM.

I will only make them up from field tested data now.

Too many have to be redone when using balistic calculator apps and I want it to be right :-)

Hi again Oaken,

I'm in the process of making up enough rounds to carry out a bullet "drop test".

The rifle is zeroed to 100 yards.

I've a few questions.

1. I presume you will need the drop or rise from say 25 yards to the 100 zero point?

2. At what intervals shall I measure the drop? As I'm aware the longer the distance the more drop there will obviously be.

3. The newer of my perms will give me around 400 yards safe distance to carry out the drop testing. Does that mean that's the max the "wrap" would could be made to, or can you calculate it from data if give you out to 400 yards?

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Jamie

What caliber are you using?

Don't worry about anything closer than 100yds.

I'm assuming your scope centre is about 1.8" above bore centre?

I can produce a chart out to whatever distance you want but it may not be so accurate at longer range.

Drop data at 200, 300 & 400 will be fine and will give good result to 600, maybe more, depends on accuracy of your collected drop data.

AtB

Rup

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies Oaken, I'm mildly physically disabled, so I have to pick the right days.

But also, I'm having problems getting a bullet that will be readily available to use for the wraps...

Jamie

Apologies Oaken, I'm mildly physically disabled, so I have to pick the right days.

But also, I'm having problems getting a bullet that will be readily available to use for the wraps...

Jamie

Jamie,the least disrupted bullet supply is probably Lapua,and the scenars are very good target bullets.Somewhat cheaper are Sierra match kings,but US of course.While were at it,Vihtavuori powder is both excellent and available (and Lapua/Vihtavuori work well together).All in all,you could do much worse,and maybe never better.

Did a turret wrap in Adobe Illustrator yesterday for a Vortex Viper, what an arse around! the turret circumference is only 8cm, length of wrap was set to 8.3cm for it to fit and line up with the existing turret marks, font size was 7pt for the 1MOA increments and 4.5pt for intermediate .25moa clicks, with 12 MOA per turn, so to say the type size has to be small is an understatement, Anyway, finally got one done for 60gr Bergers, as this is my main varmint round out to 600ish yards and just managed to get the drops for every click put on it and can just about read them! I think there maybe a market for a quick bit of lathe work and a bigger diameter slip on turret for these scopes.....

IMG_1018.JPG

Archived