Importation from US and Canada

Ronin

I read an article somewhere where there was an "open" letter posted from the DTI (or similar body) that stated that one could import a firearm for personal use (not to buy and sell on) without requiring a UK import licence (TERN I think its refferred to)

Anyone know if this is indeed the case please, or if I am barking up the wrong tree?

(I have found a rifle in Canada / USA that I have a space on my ticket for basically)

Don't know about a generic letter but I just phoned the BERR (department for Business Enterprise and Regulatory Reform - superseeded the DTI), explained that I was wanting to import a rifle from USA, have the place on my FAC, no problem sent a letter to me the next day saying as it was for "non-commercial and privately owned" then do not need an import licence.

But you will need to get it proofed when it comes into UK.

Have you worked out the rate of duty and VAT on your rifle? Cannot find any clear figures on this!

Cheers

NW, thanks for that, No I havent worked out Duty and VAT, its an expensive piece already (even with the current exchange rate) and I'm not sure if I couldn't build in the UK for the same price (or just a bit more)

I'll phone the BERR and get the letter (don't suppose you have the number?)

I guess that the VAt would be the usual 17.5% on price when exchanged to GBP, not sure about duty though - shipping may be a stinger <_<

Chris - I may be recieving a care package in 338LM.

Baldie - thanks for that.

Before I make final decision, I have some barrel considerations to debate with vendor.

Thanks for the quick replies lads - just goes to show what a great site this is <_<:D

Oh - targets only, no deer and its safe at Diggle and any field firing ranges too, he he he he...

Only problem you would have in the USA is that you would need an FFL dealer to deliver the rifle to you at the point of departure (airport) as I don't think you can legally take possession of it in the USA. But you do not need an import license if it's for your own private use just get a letter from the DTI or whatever it's called now, go to the Red Channel on your return and the HMR&C will log the rifle in to the UK and may or may not charge you Duty & VAT (duty will be around 3% and VAT 17.5%), make sure you have your FAC with you and that you have the slot, you will probably have to enter it on your FAC yourself and inform Plod within 7 days of return. If you do not intend to sell the rifle you do not have to get it proofed.

Thanks John

I wonder if the missus wants a trip to the Rockies?

The HMR&C vary a lot depending on the time of day, the weather and what side of bed they got out of. In November last year I brought back a chambered 6XC barrel for my T2k and 1000 brass cases, the nice man in the Red Channel asked to see my FAC with the open slot, he did not bother to log the barrel in and asked a few questions about why I made my own ammo and did not buy it already to fire, I explained about the advantages of home loading and he then said have a safe trip home and sent me on my way.

A friend of mine had his T2k delivered to his door by Parcelfarce, no duty or VAT or checks to ensure he was allowed to have it, although he had completed all the necessary paperwork beforehand and sent his DTI letter to the export agent in the USA and this was all attached to the rifle case; it just slipped through.

I had my T2k exported through and export agent in the USA to an RFD in the UK and ended up paying over £1100 in export, shipping fees from the USA and UK end Duty and VAT (total consignment value was in the order of £3500, £750 was charged by HMR&C at this end and it took about three weeks to get them to release it).

Another chap I shot with this weekend brought his new T2k back to the UK on a flight, got to the airport this end and paid nothing. So it varies as you can see.

If I was to get another rifle from the USA I'd go and collect it myself and have a nice holiday at the same time.

John MH

John, Nightwalker

excellent advice - 2008 could be time to buy me some Maple Syrup <_<

A friend of mine went to switzerland, or sweden, i forget which, just a few weeks ago, and came back with a .50 cal sniper rifle. Put it on the plane in its case, and picked it back up off the carousel in the airport, walked out, and got in a taxi.....i kid you not.

He went straight to the cop shop and sorted it however.

Just goes to show what a joke our borders have become.

£1100 in export fees etc John? ouch <_< Lets have some pics of this gun then buddy? Is it one of David Tubbs?

In .308 23 inch barrel and S&B 5-25 x 56

100_3880.jpg

With 6XC 26" Barrel testing ammo at Zeala

100_3776.jpg

Shooting Standing with Iron Sights at Bisley

JohnsTubb.jpg

Even with £1100 in export fees ($500), shipping ($300), Duty and VAT (£750) it was still cheaper than buying it in the UK. The order did include 3 spare barrels, 2000 cases and 2000 115grn DTAC bullets. But the fees did hurt and since then I've come to the opinion it's better to go and collect yourself and see what the man in the red channel says.

John MH

Very nice indeed John, i see you are a highpower shooter.

There,s a similar type of gun on 6mmbr, based on a remington action in the tube type stock design, similar colour to yours too, but its in 6mmbr.

How do you rate the 115 dtacs?

Twenty rounds of 6XC 107 grain SMKs at 100 yards from a bench with the S&B Scope, the one to the left was called as a bad shot.

100_3744.jpg

I don't find the 115 grn DTACs any better than the 107 SMKs out to 600 yards I think they would come into their own further out to 1k but have not tried them yet.

Five round groups are typically 0.35 or less from the bench.

Lovely rifle, excellent grouping.

Think ive made my mind up ;)

HI john........

Very nice rifle and shes a sweet shooter too!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;):lol:

Thats zelah rifle club i do beleave in the picture!!!!! :P:lol:

All the best...................

RAY.......................................... :D:lol:

Archived