nightforce nxs vs ior dilemma

.243ackley

looking for advice on anyone who switched from a nightforce to an ior,

bascially i have a 8x32 nxs with the npr1 reticule and had always wanted the np2dd reticule with the second focal plane(beggers couldnt be choosers at the time of buying the nightforce),i have been for a while looking at the ior with the mp8 reticule with the second focal plane and illumination on the centre dot,

ive emailed nightforce for a quote to change the reticule with second focal plane and zero stop turrets

$300 for the ret change incl second focal plane

$350 for the zero stop on the turrets

thats not inculding postage etc (they wanted me to send it through the nightforce agent here which im definitly NOT doing,id rather deal with them privataly)

so then i had turned my attention to selling my nightforce to fund an ior,

am i mad in doing so,or better saving up a few quid and sending it off the nightforce for an upgrade and in the purpose of makin my scope more expensive but not as valuable in market value ??

I've had both and personally think you'd be making a big mistake going IOR. Why not sell your Nightforce and trade up to a new one the spec you want?

The $650 odd to change the reticle would probably go a long way to buying the scope you really want. Just my tupence worth...

Mike

I've got an IOR an am very impressed with it. I sold my nightforce in favour of the better light gathering of a swaro and then when i got an IOR I expected to be disappointed but I was very pleasantly suprised in the image quality, my other scopes are kahles, swaro and schmidt and I rate the IOR amongst them.

The MP-8 reticle is a nice one that I have shot with that is for sure so I personally would be interested in the OP's responses as was considering a similar choice.

looking for advice on anyone who switched from a nightforce to an ior,

bascially i have a 8x32 nxs with the npr1 reticule and had always wanted the np2dd reticule with the second focal plane(beggers couldnt be choosers at the time of buying the nightforce),i have been for a while looking at the ior with the mp8 reticule with the second focal plane and illumination on the centre dot,

ive emailed nightforce for a quote to change the reticule with second focal plane and zero stop turrets

$300 for the ret change incl second focal plane

$350 for the zero stop on the turrets

thats not inculding postage etc (they wanted me to send it through the nightforce agent here which im definitly NOT doing,id rather deal with them privataly)

so then i had turned my attention to selling my nightforce to fund an ior,

am i mad in doing so,or better saving up a few quid and sending it off the nightforce for an upgrade and in the purpose of makin my scope more expensive but not as valuable in market value ??

Have you thought about a Nightforce BR with NP2dd ret they are about £500 cheaper than NXS? my next NF with be a BR model.

Have you thought about a Nightforce BR with NP2dd ret they are about £500 cheaper than NXS? my next NF with be a BR model.

not really,the ior mp8 iluminated dot only is appealing to me more as i do alot of foxing and the second focal plane,and the zero stop is a plus for the long range varminting

You do realise that all nightforce scopes except the new F1 are sfp?

Also I didn't get on with my ior mp-8 when illuminated at night. It was far to bright on all settings and I found all I was looking at was a bright red Christmas tree and not the quarry.

I now shoot a 5.5-22x50 nxs with the single dot.

You do realise that all nightforce scopes except the new F1 are sfp?

Also I didn't get on with my ior mp-8 when illuminated at night. It was far to bright on all settings and I found all I was looking at was a bright red Christmas tree and not the quarry.

I now shoot a 5.5-22x50 nxs with the single dot.

when you mean single dot is that the np2dd ???

but i have an appeal for the less clutter in a scope crosshair the better

Hi as has been mentioned the mp8 ret is good but for foxing etc you need to illum the ret to see it & even on lowest setting it was to bright & cluterd because of the each mark was 1MOA space & to cluterd as you could not see target stick to NF.

I think the IOR scopes are excellent and would agree about the MP8 reticle when illuminated.

Mine was too bright and after looking through a friends new IOR his settings are much dimmer so i am

guessing they have changed the brightness settings now.

For me the nightforce optics were really quite poor when i had compared it to the IOR side by side.

I am guessing you are from ireland??

I have a 42XBR Nightforce on one of my rifles and my wife has a 24X IOR on one of hers, admittedly different magnifications and I dislike the turrets on the IOR but glass wise the IOR is vastly superior to the Nightforce. The IOR tracks well and gives accurate elevation and windage values.

Dare I say the IOR glass is as good as my PMII..............

id be careful with a quote like that,you could start a war on a firing line with that :lol:

Hehe, I am quite safe in this house as my wife is not on the UKV forum.... I would never admit to her that I liked the glass in her 'scope... :wacko:

• 4 months later...
Guest richness

I've got an IOR an am very impressed with it. I sold my nightforce in favour of the better light gathering of a swaro and then when i got an IOR I expected to be disappointed but I was very pleasantly suprised in the image quality, my other scopes are kahles, swaro and schmidt and I rate the IOR amongst them.

+1

I have an NXS 12x42x56 and an IOR 3x18x42. The glass in the IOR is good I have the MP8, modified mill dot (hash marks). I personally would have liked the reticle to be a litle finer but there is nothing wrong with it Very good scope at a very good price. The NXS has the target dot even at 42x allows very precise aiming at a 100 yards. Just wish the NXS glass was as good as the IOR.

Archived