Shipments from USA to UK

Tikka

I have a pal in Michigan USA who has a Jewel Trigger for my Rem700.

He was going to ship via US Postal Service but apparently they will throw my pal in jail

if he ships anything linked to firearms with them.

Has anyone else had firearms parts such as trigger units shipped from the US to the UK?

If so can anyone recommend how I can get this unit over here?

All help and advice much appreciated.

Gets a bit complicated but can be done.

They need to apply for a US export licence, to get this you need to clear the paperwork chain at the UK end a provide them with an original TURN certificate that you get from the UK Dept of Trade, faxed copies etc are no good. UK paperwork is free but the US export license costs and it is not cheap.

It would probably be cheaper to source the trigger over here from one of the custom builders or via Jackson Rifles.

Several members here hold Turn paperwork and could perhaps give you a better idea of costs etc.

A

Guest varmartin

I had a Jewell shipped straight to me last Nov 06, from the USA...No problems as far as I know.

Asked them straight up if they could ship it over seas..."Certainly Sir" was what the man said.

Had to pay the Fat man at customs for handling etc but still saved £40.00.

Martin

As I understand it anything to do with firearms including brass but excepting stocks from some suppliers now needs a US export licence. As the moment wooden stocks can be classed as sporting carvings, I think that McM also have no problems shipping, at present.

The US export laws have been tightened up considerably after 9/11. Breachs of their regs if caught could lead to a term in a US jail for the sender.

A

Nonsense. Your friend can ship that trigger with total indifference from the US Postal Service. The USPS only cares if it is a firearm (technically, the receiver is the "firearm") and things that go boom like powder and primers. Bullets can be shipped as can brass. Now, on your end, that's a different story.~Andrew

Nonsense. Your friend can ship that trigger with total indifference from the US Postal Service. The USPS only cares if it is a firearm (technically, the receiver is the "firearm") and things that go boom like powder and primers. Bullets can be shipped as can brass. Now, on your end, that's a different story.~Andrew

Sorry Andrew, but I think if you check you will find there is now a requirement for an export licence for triggers and as such any offence committed by exporting same without the required paperwork will result in a prosecution that may terminate in a custodial sentence. I understand there is now also some legislation in the UK for reciprocal prosecutions for the other party if so required.

I cant remember the exact wording, but american federal law stipulates, an export license is required for anything over 100 dollars, and must be obtained for any parts which will make a firearm FUNCTION. That obviously includes a trigger.Interestingly enough, there is no such wording in english law, its a grey area.

However, just of late, customs are getting very keen indeed, on travellers bringing back bits.One customer of ours, had several items confiscated at one of the scottish airports, which were cases, bullets, and odds and sods, he lost £700 apparently.Also, i think any item which has a serial number [intended for recievers] must be air freighted, but they could turn round and use any serial number on anything i would guess?

Sticky area.Midway usa were prosecuted a few years back for shipping leupold scopes and bases, the fine ran into six figures.

Earlyer this year I had a Mag conversion, Timney trigger and a HS Precision stock shiped from the states from 3 seperate private sellers. The only one I had any dificulty with was the stock. It got stoped at UK customs and I had to pay tax on it but there was no inferance that there was anything inproper referance importing these items.

Dave

I brought scopes and game cams to the UK in 2005 without any grief. I would think nothing of shipping a trigger assembly to someone. They are a non-regulated part here. The postal service won't even blink if you say "gun parts". The odd thing for most people to realize is that the receiver: that unit in which all the parts are assembled and which is serial numbered, is prohibited from transport via US mail. In the US, it is the receiver only that is the firearm. Everything else is non regulated; including bolts, barrels, triggers, and stocks, etc. Black powder rifles and handguns -as well as air rifles- are considered a "non-gun" and (local laws not withstanding) are shippable via US Mail anywhere in the US. ~Andrew

Guest 308Panther

That is the case for now at least......

Wont be for long..... if the likes of Hillary gets into the Pres spot.

OSHA is chompin on the bit to get into the mix too.

308Panther

My mate who went a couple of months back found this:

For those of you not aware, on 01 January 2007 the USA enacted the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which severely restricts the movement of military technology and firearms related items. The regulations are complex and ignoring them and putting prohibited items in your luggage to bring home could result in you being arrested at your departure airport, fined and banned from the USA for 10 years !!!

While not comprehensive (please plug ITAR into your search engine to download the entire act from the US State Dept if you have hours to spare), the following are highlights that may affect our members:

Note: These regulations relate to items of 'original origin' in the USA, in other words, manufactured in the USA (so imported items of non USA manufacture should be OK) Be prepared to be able to prove this if necessary!

Section 1 Prohibited items:

Cartridge Cases

Bullets

No powder, primers or ammo

Major Component parts (Barrels, receivers, cylinders & breeches) for any firearm under .50 cal or 'combat shotgun (under 18" barrel)

Any sighting system manufactured to military spec.

Allowed items:

Any Blackpowder arms related items (including parts other than major components but obviously NOT the powder)

Any shotgun related items (including parts other than major components)

Any handloading related items

Any accessories for firearms that 'do not enhance the useability of the firearm' (Whatever that means!)

Interestingly Section 123.17 has an exemption for foreigner (Brits) to export up to $100 at wholesale value, component parts (such as spare magazines, quickloaders etc) if specifically packed in their luggage.

OA

Archived