.17HMR2

Anybody using the HMR2 ?, if so how are you getting on with it. Might be a nice round if we could have it in a semi.

There was an artical in one of the mags recently about a well known pest controller /board sponsor using an HMR on pigeons inside a building. No exits so no building damage.

Maybe I got the jist of the artical wrong, do you not get bullet pass throughs with HMR, I would have thought that maybe the M2 version might be better but lower velocity may lead to less break up and a larger chance of a pass through and subsequent building damage.

A

I wouldnt dare use a HMR inside a building, ive had pass throughs on foxes at 100 yards, even though the bullets broken up im sure that high speed shrapnel would have no worries cutting through aspestos or even tin roofing sheets, however i could be wrong, but personally i wouldnt try it!

Im going to stick to the airgun inside, havent got the need for a 100 yard zero inside any of my buildings haha!

The 17Mach2 looks intersting however it seems abit impractical, unless all your shooting in life is rabbits the 17 HMR i think is the smallest 17 caliber that is still practical, resonably quiet, fast and most importantly SAFE, its why i stopped using the 22LR because all to often what looked like a good back stop had a 40grain twang as the bullet bounced off somthing, it just doesnt happen with the HMR

I use my hmr quite a lot,, And find that it is better than my .22!! I.e Does not bounce all over the place when i fire a shot,,

The only down side is the price of the bullets?? Just bought two boxes at a cost of 23 pounds

The hmr mark two is only about half the price, with only a slight reduction in power??? This is what is swaying peoples minds??

A few years ago i used to go through 2000 rounds plus on rabbits,,, This then starts to get very exspensive when i have got a rabbit clearance to do????

But i must say that i love my hmr

All the best f2n

We will never get a semi, in anything other than .22, because thats all the firearms act specifically states....it will take primary legislation to change it. We have sold several hm2,s...mainly to professional bunny controllers who do golf courses.Having shot one myself, i personally preffered it to the hmr, its a sweet little cartridge.However, i know sales in the UK have been exceptionally poor, and Eley are constantly cutting the ammo in an effort to shift it....that tells me one thing....they are gonna dump it in the none too distant future.

I typed a similar post on another board so you have probably read some of this already.

The HM2 is an HMR minus ~60 yards. Anything you do with an HMR you can do with an HM2, only a little closer in. For me, my HMR is a 160 yd point and click gun (+/- 1"). The HM2 would do that at 100 (with a 22 and subs doing it at 60). For typical ground vermin in this country it has all of the power you could want to 150 yd or so and plenty of accuracy. The ammo is half the price of HMR ammo and about the same as premium 22LR rounds like stingers.

However, in this country I see it as impractical. Given the restrictions on buying guns, how many you can have, and having a good practical reason for having one there are more practical choices. The 22LR is cheaper, quieter, and does almost the range of the HM2. Mine will do 100 with holdover on rabbits and I have a mil-dot scope to really push its limits on the way. If you frequently shoot longer then you'd pick an HMR as it gives you an extra 60 yards. So for practical purposes I can understand completely why the HM2 hasn't really caught on here.

That said, I'd like to get one when I go back to the states. I have a HMR now and really like it. But back in the states I won't have the distance shooting like I do here so I wouldn't mind having the half priced ammo. And, I can buy an HM2 for £125 or so and use it infrequently.

Thanks,

Rick

If I had a 17 and could not have a semi then I would go 17AH or 17BEE. I just wondered how M2 was getting along, declining ammo prices says it all I recon. i.e dont have one.

So the artical I saw has maybe a bit of journalistic licence then ?, someone said they get pass throughs on fox at 100 yards, pigeons in a shed at maybe 40 yards would certainly get passed through then. Perhaps they were shooting them with steel girders behind them, sounds a bit hairy to me.

A

We will never get a semi, in anything other than .22, because thats all the firearms act specifically states....it will take primary legislation to change it. We have sold several hm2,s...mainly to professional bunny controllers who do golf courses.Having shot one myself, i personally preffered it to the hmr, its a sweet little cartridge.However, i know sales in the UK have been exceptionally poor, and Eley are constantly cutting the ammo in an effort to shift it....that tells me one thing....they are gonna dump it in the none too distant future.

Good prediction Baldie, you have no idea how right you are...or maybe you do. :D;)

I have two Mach 2's and other than some range testing, they get NO use. They are too little, too late. At 100 yards they don't carry the energy of a standard 40 grain hi-vel 22LR cartridge. The local trading post is selling off anything M-2 at give away prices. It won't be long now, I agree.

Wait a minute! Marine? Do you have that 77/22 Mach II barrel?? If so, then I am down to one! ~Andrew

I have a .17HM2 and would not be without it! Along with .22LR and .17hmr

I'm not surprised that Eley are dropping the price of their ammo and frankly they should be ashamed of themselves for ripping people off here in the UK!

Basically Ive only found Eley in two places here in the UK and it was £7.50 or £7.59 a box of 50 at those two locations, this whilst it was readily available in the US for $3.99 a box or a mere £2.00 per box.

As for the round, it has great performance and is headshot capable out to 200yds if you are good enough? You would have to aim off but with a mil-dot scope you can pull of some amazing bunny bashing!

I'm sure some will remind me that it's badly affected by wind which is true, but on those windless nights at the back end of summer its an excellent choice.

For anyone who shoots a lot of rabbits and wants something less expensive to run than a HMR but more capable than a .22, then this is a great calibre!

It will be a very great shame if they drop the manufacuture of the ammo at Eley as it is a quality product and to some extent worth a premium, but in all honesty, not the differential currently being aked of the UK market place!

Buy one and enjoy!

English

English,

What makes you think Eley makes their own HM2 ammo? (Aside from the label on the box) :D

Andrew,

Who me? What 77/22 barrel? :D

Yeah, I think I have the HB one, but quite honestly, haven't even mounted it on that 77/22 I have (too lazy to inlet the stock I suppose). Much more interesting projects right now... :D

English,

What makes you think Eley makes their own HM2 ammo? (Aside from the label on the box) :ph34r:

Andrew,

Who me? What 77/22 barrel? ;)

Yeah, I think I have the HB one, but quite honestly, haven't even mounted it on that 77/22 I have (too lazy to inlet the stock I suppose). Much more interesting projects right now... B)

MPMI.........

Hi Bud (is that Andrew from Montanna) you refer to above?

What makes me think that Eley make it is two things:

Firstly it came from (was purchased at) one of our better gunsmiths who when embroiled in a debate about if or not Eley would ever go on to make .17HMR said they were only going to make .17hm2 as they havent made .22WMR in a long time and arent prepared to tool up for it, due to the cost?

Second is that it states (moulded into the bottom of the Box): "Manufactured by Eley Limited, Mlnworth, B76 1BA, England".

I'll mail you a photo of the bottom of a box over the next couple of days feel free to e-mail me your thoughts!

Best Regards,

English

Archived