Scottish Gamekeepers Association Rifle Shoot

longbow3

The SGA rifle shoot was held on the 11th July.

14 teams and 42 individuals competed to win a large assortment of prizes on offer.

The day was sponsored by

Calumn Ferguson of Precision Rifle Services

Spratts Gamefeeds

Bushwear

Swarovski optic uk

Aim Fieldsports

Best Fox Call

Reloading Solutions

Highland Game

Best Placed Teams were-

1st: Good, Bad & Ugly 565 points

2nd: The Macnabs 536 points

3rd: Nuts behind the butt 507 points

Best Placed individuals- points out of a possible 280

1st: Ali C Mackintosh 217 points. Winning the Aim Fieldsports Drag Bag

2nd: John Campbell Smith 207 points. Icotec Remote Caller from Best Fox Call

3rd: Steven Fraser 205 points. Highland Game voucher & Gun Wizard from Reloading Solutions

Winner of the Swarovski crystal stag for the best group at 400m: Raymond Holt 47/50

A total of 9 Fly's were hit at the 400m target and all of them will receive the new SGA Sharpshooter badges

Yes was a great day out and stayed dry despite it looking like it was going to pour in the morning. More importantly the midges weren't too bad either!

Was great to have the rep from Swarovski there, was very useful and very trusting of him to leave an assortment of rifle scopes, binoculars and spotting scopes for everyone to use as they pleased. Was nice to get a play with the new X5i long range/target range of rifle scopes, quite nice but for a few reasons not up my street and am sticking with Kahles.

Thanks again Raymond and well done on your group and winning the Swarovski stag, looked pretty stunning! (Can also put a face to the name now, I think the UKV hat was a giveaway! I gotta get me one of them!) ;)

Out of interest, what were the targets used and the course of fire?

Very similar to last year - http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/24995-sga-glen-tilt/?p=204326 however at 300 yds the crow turned into a kiwi. I found the bigger bird easier to hit, but my team mate also shot my bird. Fortunately his .308 holes were easily separated from 6mm ones when it was scored. However it did confuse me while I was shooting.

No sighters allowed, no rear bags or butts on the ground.

Regards

JCS

The different ranges and targets make it an interesting and challenging day

when you look at the scores many competitors are good at the short range targets and then struggle with the longer range and vise-versa

consistency is the key

sounds like the kiwi was to big john?

was great to see the London (now called Team GB) team back again this year

Paul Innes from Swarovski, was very helpful and added to the whole day. Paul also a decent shot when he tried my rifle at 400m after the event

May possibly be a Swarovski/Blaser team there next year

yes UKV hats are good

Maybe UKV will donate 3 hats to the SGA shoot next year for the best team ?????????? hint-hint

Ray

Well I had a helluva day!

I came 4th much my surprise after 3rd bottom last year ! & that with a .25-06 and privi brass & a load thrown out of a Lyman gen 6 and cobbled together

Only 2 time I've shot at range like that.

NO RAY !!, kiwi was fine ! ?

Better than crow in that I struggle to see holes / splash in black target , far easier in the White

Size was fine ..... Honest !

Was very impressed with Swarovski & their rep , allowing stuff to be used all day by anyone , scope used for spotting for shooters, watching reds on the far away Corrie etc.... Far better than a minute here or there on a game fair stand .

I did like the new X5i but would love to be able to get all the big names side x side on a place like that to compare.

Weather was good, midges not too bad , venison burgers on camp,stove back o the motor & a heap o bony rifles to ogle over.

Good day for good cause well done Raymond and thank you.

John .. Where did you get those flapjacks you offered, bloody fine !

Paul

Archived