Menagerie Fox

happyhunter

This vixen had been hammering this small holders assortment of foul for quite some time before I was contacted by his brother (a farmer I control fox for). My first visit at the beginning of the week was a blank as his two acre plot was surrounded by field yet to be cut for hay. I was called agin last night and told the hay had been cut that afternoon so it would be possible to get this problem fox shot. Getting to the field just shy of 10pm it was a wait of 45min sat tight in a hedge for cover with the long legs on the bipod deployed been eaten alive by midges when she finally caught my eye slowly working the cut hay for small mammals etc. The slight breeze was in my face and she was slow early working towards my position. I could of taken her at any point I wished from nearly 240yards out where she first appeared but I let he get closer and closer just because I could, at 12 yards out I finally squeezed the trigger of the .22/250 with a resulting huge thump. Must of took her 15min to work up the field and I could count the whiskers on her snout!

image_zpsea3e1629.jpg

If you can get that close , next time use a sword ! :P:lol:

Cheers lads, no increase in pulse mate pretty sure my heart had almost stopped.... Only ever had them closer when using nv or sitting very very tight with the 12 gauge makes for great sport. Yep a nice vixen the four cubs almost 3/4grown dispatched also, no sign of a dog.

Well done! I went out last night after the remaining two cubs of a litter that we've been sorting out, but there was no sign of them. Hopefully, we'll meet sometime soon!

They'll turn up Paddy, been a hectic weekend foxing up here 16 shots 16 kills. This must be the best breeding season they have had up our way for the last 5-6years they are popping up everywhere, never knows so many farmers ringing up wanting litters sorted. There also seems to be a fair age gap of some of the litters, the litter we sorted last night must of been atleast 12 weeks older than the litter sorted the previous night. Sitting out waiting for Mr and Mrs Reynard to return home tonight, three cubs keep showing but parents haven't arrived to meet Mr v-max yet...

They'll turn up Paddy, been a hectic weekend foxing up here 16 shots 16 kills. This must be the best breeding season they have had up our way for the last 5-6years they are popping up everywhere, never knows so many farmers ringing up wanting litters sorted. There also seems to be a fair age gap of some of the litters, the litter we sorted last night must of been atleast 12 weeks older than the litter sorted the previous night. Sitting out waiting for Mr and Mrs Reynard to return home tonight, three cubs keep showing but parents haven't arrived to meet Mr v-max yet...

Thanks - let's hope so... Fingers crossed for you too!

Talking of close ranges...... I had a vixen the other week off my knees at 13 paces. She was coming to see wtf was crawling through the long grass towards where I'd seen her from across the field as I was driving in.

I was on a bank between 2 fields with electric stranded fence on both sides and as I'm belly crawling into positon I heard the fence twang.... so I'm thinking wouldn't it would be ironic if a fox appeared on my right wondering wtf I was up to..... then there was another twang on the fence and I thought I'd better stick my head up to be see the vixen coming down the fence line..... oh sh*t.

Wound the 'scope right down, safety off, up off my knees, rifle forward, head behind the 'scope to see the vixen sort of focusing on my vehicle down the field behind me, head cocked to one side. Pulled the trigger. Result.

It's amazing what you can get away with sometimes. :D Years ago I shot a vixen at less than 6' as it walked past the bit of bramble I'd crouched behind.... when the scope went orange I pulled the trigger on the .243.

good stuff

Cheers

Fizz

:ph34r:

Archived