38spl rifle loads with 357 brass

clivej

Hoping to start loading for my Marlin 1894 38/357.

I have Vit 340 and CCI small pistol primers and 155gr lead heads that I'll be using.

Its looking like about 4.5gr for the 38spl loads in a rifle.

What I need to know is will the same load work if I use 357 cases and will I be better off using the 357 cases, as in feed through the action with 357????

Sorry is this sounds a bit abrupt, it's not my intention but why not just use 357 loads instead of wondering if 38spl loads will be ok?

If you want a load that is a bit more tame then just use a low velocity load.

Rich

Sorry is this sounds a bit abrupt, it's not my intention but why not just use 357 loads instead of wondering if 38spl loads will be ok?

If you want a load that is a bit more tame then just use a low velocity load.

Rich

Good point and I didn't think of it that way. The Marlin will only be used for Gallery competition shooing so I don't want or need the bigger recoiling 357 mag ammo. And I have just realised that they are the same head just different cases. doh.

Hoping to start loading for my Marlin 1894 38/357.

I have Vit 340 and CCI small pistol primers and 155gr lead heads that I'll be using.

Its looking like about 4.5gr for the 38spl loads in a rifle.

What I need to know is will the same load work if I use 357 cases and will I be better off using the 357 cases, as in feed through the action with 357????

I have never used that powder but as far as function, the 38 Special cases should function fine. Make up a dummy round and cycle it through the action if you have doubts. Usually, any problem that arises in feeding from these rifles comes when a loader tries to use a cartridge that is too long; like when trying to use some heavier (longer) than normal bullets.

As to using 38 Special cases. Why not? More efficient than 357 cases if the intention is a light load. If you have the cases, use them. I shoot a thousand of each every year.~Andrew

just a 10th of an inch length difference in the case if i remember right , my winchester used to feed either with equal reliability ?

if your rifle feeds them ok then i would say why not?

Flat nose bullets remember Better off with the copper washed one from the like of Tim Hannams than lead bullets. Have never put lead through a rifle apart from 22LR just don't trust it not to foul the barrel badly. That's just my preference.

Preference acknowledged, but "un plated" bullets work fine as long as they are cast and not swaged pure lead. I cast my own bullets for the 38/357 and .44's. If you don't get silly with chamber pressure, they work great.~Andrew

Clive,

You want the 158 grain round nose flat point bullet that gets sold every where. Ace bullets in Leeds make them, and distribute them allover the country. You will get them from Hannams up here, or from Bisley. These work just great in any Marlin in .357 or .38 special cases, loaded with mild, gallery rifle loads. Most powders work well with them, i use Solo 1000 which is a shotgun powder from Accurate Arms. You can use unique, bullseye etc...another good one is GM3 and its muck cheap. Dont worry about Leading....it doesnt happen at gallery velocities.

Clive,

You want the 158 grain round nose flat point bullet that gets sold every where. Ace bullets in Leeds

Get my vote too, thats what I use in both my lever action and LBR

Clive,

You want the 158 grain round nose flat point bullet that gets sold every where. Ace bullets in Leeds make them, and distribute them allover the country. You will get them from Hannams up here, or from Bisley. These work just great in any Marlin in .357 or .38 special cases, loaded with mild, gallery rifle loads. Most powders work well with them, i use Solo 1000 which is a shotgun powder from Accurate Arms. You can use unique, bullseye etc...another good one is GM3 and its muck cheap. Dont worry about Leading....it doesnt happen at gallery velocities.

What are gallery velocities? Is there a limit? A reminder that the ability to resist leading comes to matching chamber pressures to your alloy strength, not the velocity. You can have quite high pressures with low velocity if you choose the wrong powder.~Andrew

The actually upper limit is around 2000 fps Andrew, to allow the use of jacketed, but few people do, as the recoil is so much greater, and getting back down on target becomes a problem quickly. One of The COF,s is 2 accurate shots in 3 seconds !

Most folk load the 158 grain hardcast bullet to travel around 1150 to 1250 fps i guess, and its real nice to shoot.

Clive,

I've followed Andrew's excellent advice and went with 5gn Unique behind a 158gn bullet, in .357 cases. Seated it to the Alliant recommended length .1585' and they are accurate, easy to load and infinite fun to shoot, with no feeding problems whatsoever. My gun is also a Marlin 1894.

best wishes,

Finman

The actually upper limit is around 2000 fps Andrew, to allow the use of jacketed, but few people do, as the recoil is so much greater, and getting back down on target becomes a problem quickly. One of The COF,s is 2 accurate shots in 3 seconds !

Most folk load the 158 grain hardcast bullet to travel around 1150 to 1250 fps i guess, and its real nice to shoot.

My deer hunting loads from my eight-inch Model 27 S&W are at around 1500 fps with a 158 grain bullet and they are pretty snappy! The term "gallery" threw me. For that kind of shooting I'd use that 5.0 Unique load. From a lever gun you can really crack them off without losing sight picture.~Andrew

Great reply's here lads and I'm learning from you all.

• 4 months later...

i am also about to start reloading for Marlin 1894 38/357

i have been told by a few in my club that it is better to use 357 cases with a 38 load, as the 357 case feeds better (where is the cheapest place to buy 357 cases ??)

also, does anyone reload with these and are they any good ? what sort of load are you using with them ?

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_165_166&products_id=1283

thanks

5gn of Unique, 1.585oal with 158gn roundnoses and a cci200 pistol primer does it for my 1894. Remington .357 brass, cheap and surprisingly uniform.

Best wishes

Finman

Ps: just saw I have said this before above... It's late!!

i am also about to start reloading for Marlin 1894 38/357

i have been told by a few in my club that it is better to use 357 cases with a 38 load, as the 357 case feeds better (where is the cheapest place to buy 357 cases ??)

also, does anyone reload with these and are they any good ? what sort of load are you using with them ?

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_165_166&products_id=1283

thanks

I would wonder if you truly get better feeding with the .357 cases. Much is determined by the bullet nose: not a tenth of an inch in case length. If you want to use .38 Special cases,simply try seating the bullet shallower by that .1 inch and you'll get the same OAL as the .357 with the bullet seated normally.

I don't have a Marlin but my M-92 Winchester doesn't care a bit whether I shoot .38 Special, .357 Magnum, or a combination of the both. Feeds .38's fine! ~Muir

Archived