204 cal

v-max

Hi,

Just as a point of interest, I am getting 3800fps with a 39gr bullet over 27.4gr vit Ni33 out of a 17" Bartlein barrelled 20ppc, again accuracy is in the 1s.

Regards,

Nick.

You bad man planting a seed like that in my head :wacko:

Guest Scotland Rifles

heres some more 20 info on the 20Tac.

I love the bit about the 220 swift :)

The Tactical 20 was designed by Todd Kindler - Editor of Small Caliber News www.smallcaliber.com and owner of The Woodchuck Den, Inc. www.woodchuckden.com for precision long range varmint shooting. The goal was to design a twenty caliber cartridge with super long-range performance, but on a modest case design to minimize recoil and noise. Todd also selected the time proven and readily available top quality 223 case to base his Tactical 20 on (most shooters call it the 20 TAC or TAC 20 today). Todd designed the 20 TAC with the accuracy proven 30 degree shoulder and the proper neck length to accommodate a wide range of bullets that he knew would be available down the road.

It didn't take the 20 TAC very long to prove itself in the varmint shooting sports. It soon was destroying alfalfa eating woodchucks at 400 to 600 yards and stopping coyotes in their tracks with minimal pelt damage - something the most serious coyote hunter likes to see. Serious varmint shooters around the world started building 20 TAC's for their varmint hunting needs. It wasn't long until the word spread on the outstanding design and long range potential of this cartridge. Some of the shooters like Greg Tannel owner of Gre-Tan Rifles who just happens to have a solid reputation for building the most accurate competition and varmint rifles in the world built himself a 20 TAC and called it a "Death Ray On Varmints"!

The 20 TAC is one of the many early twenty caliber cartridges that Todd has designed and it soon "blew the 20 caliber door wide open"! With 30 to 40 grain bullets, it is one of the most accurate and efficient 20 calibers available today. With the high B.C. 40 grain bullets, it has less bullet drop and wind drift than the 220 Swift! And does it with less than 25 grains of powder compared to the 220 Swift using 39 grains of powder!

Recently Dakota Arms was so impressed with the 20 TAC that they decided to license it from Todd and soon there will be precision Lapua brass and loaded ammo for it. Todd has just completed testing the first production run of the Lapua/Dakota 20 TAC brass and he was very impressed with the excellent quality and precision of the new Lapua/Dakota 20 TAC cases.

Are you ready for a serious "Death Ray" varmint cartridge? Then buy or build a 20 TAC today! The Woodchuck Den has all the precision reloading dies and equipment to help you on your 20 TAC, so give Todd a call at 330.897.0614 today!

Check out Todd's "Terrific Twenties" reloading manual - the one and only 20 caliber reloading manual on the planet!

_uacct = "UA-4091670-1";urchinTracker();

my .204 using blitkings 39gn R10x 26.5 3850fps very good out to 500mtrs 22in barrel 1-12 twist iv killed out to 660yrds with mine, a.22-250 using 40gn bullets would be just as good..

Guest Scotland Rifles

Bigun

if that thanks was to me then your welcome,

not pushed mine to hard, i run 25.5 gr rl10x first in my test loads, it was showing presure signs on the brass, so i dropped it to a set load of just 23.5 gr rl10x, this has had 3 effects to me,

1, no brass issues anymore.

2, less powder means more rounds per tub at todays prices.and a longer barrel life.

3, the rifle shoots the 40gr Vmax and the 39gr Blitz kings into a concistant group if i do my part.

And if i ever had to prove to myself that the the 20 was worth buying, i dropped a pig of a charlie who was rather lamp shy out past 330 yards under the lamp, the shot was taken from my 4x4 using just 12 mag on the scope and a l40 lightforce, goasted by a remington 22.250 that was not needed.

bob.

PS: I AM THINKING OF SELLING MY .243 AND MY CURRENT .20TAC PUTING ALL THE CASH TOGETHER AND GOING FOR ANOTHER 1 OFF BUILT BY DASHERMAN, :)

No question that a 20 through a fox chest gets the job done fine, like you I also don't drive mine to fast but its fast enough.

Had you missed then I can't see that the 22.250 would have got a shot as well, I would have thought that your drops/drifts would not be far away from the big boomer.

A

Guest Scotland Rifles

No question that a 20 through a fox chest gets the job done fine, like you I also don't drive mine to fast but its fast enough.

Had you missed then I can't see that the 22.250 would have got a shot as well, I would have thought that your drops/drifts would not be far away from the big boomer.

A

Hi A.

I must admit, i love the wee rifle to bits, and speed is not really an issue, as you know the fact that you know the rifles capabilities you can work out just about any shot in the book, what i can say is that the fellow with me who had the 22.250 aimed at charlie was so impressed with its performance he wants one (another customer for my mate Neil).

if my stalking dries up i know where my cash will be going,

A dasherman special, i would love a 20tac fully custom job with a pistol grip type stock adjustable cheek piece, duel trigger and a nice bit of glass on top for those summer days on the furrows,

bob.

accuracy is first, speed just makes it feel even better.

The .20ppc just looks right. I wish I had the nerve to take my .20 Tactical down to 17" but there is still time. I will see how I get on with the N133 and even the N130. But I have 2.5 grains to play with to compete with the ppc case.

I'm using 25.2gr N133 at the moment with 39gr BK on a BAT, lower pressure than 10X. Also have some N130 to try out. I wouldn't be surprised if you got quite a decrease in velocity with either the rl17 or Varget you mention.

My 1-12 is still at 22", though for a long moderator I think 18" or less is a good length, and takes the overall length to about the same as a 22" with a normal muzzle can. For normal use I don't see much point going longer than 20". Someone (in the UK) did get to 4500fps with H4198 and 32gr bullets in a 26" Tac 20.

Mine shoots very well but I think a 1-11 is best.

well i was speaking to my old man today and he wants to get the tikka changed to 20 tac. will defo get dasherman to do it because he has done a number of them and two loads i no are very hapy with theres.

pacnor barrel just got to deside on what length now. maybe 22 inch barrel with the ase cqb mod on top will still be pretty short. so the 39 grain blzkings have a better bc then the 40's then lads. what twist do you have to have to shoot up to 40 grain bullets a 1 in 12 ? would the tikka standard stock need bedding to get the best out of it ?

or would it be ok as it is for now. as we might replace in in the future with a aftermarket stock.

I'm using 25.2gr N133 at the moment with 39gr BK on a BAT, lower pressure than 10X. Also have some N130 to try out. I wouldn't be surprised if you got quite a decrease in velocity with either the rl17 or Varget you mention.

My 1-12 is still at 22", though for a long moderator I think 18" or less is a good length, and takes the overall length to about the same as a 22" with a normal muzzle can. For normal use I don't see much point going longer than 20". Someone (in the UK) did get to 4500fps with H4198 and 32gr bullets in a 26" Tac 20.

Mine shoots very well but I think a 1-11 is best.

Interesting. My forthcoming (Christmas-ish?) 20Tac will be 1:11, 22" barrel. I already have N130, since that has been my longstanding powder for a .223 load using the 40gr V-Max; but rather than that just carrying across to the 20Tac with 40 V-Max or 39 SBK, quite a few sources suggest N133 is better... So do please pass on your findings with N130 compared with N133 - I've got both the 20-cal bullets mentioned to try out. I have Benchmark too, seems to be recommended for 20Tac e.g. at 6mmBR.com

Regards, Tony

Jamie go with a 1/11 you wont have any issues then.

If anyone is interested in a 20TAC I might be selling mine as I fancy a 20PPC......

hi mate if yours didnt have that thumbhole stock on it. and it was ambi i would have had yours off you. its fine for my dad but it means i cant shoot it.

bloody wacky righthanded people

Jamie go with a 1/11 you wont have any issues then.

If anyone is interested in a 20TAC I might be selling mine as I fancy a 20PPC......

Why?, I cant see that 20PPC is that much of a step up from TAC20. You wont see much difference in the field, couple of hundred feet per sec maybe. To get a decent step up come to 20BR or 20x47. We do though need a plastic tipped 50gr to get the best destruction wise out of the bigger cases.

A

I do alot more walking around with the rifle now and its cumbersome shooting out of the car window with a 26" barrel. A short, light 20PPC would suit me better and give good vel with the 39-40's. After having a sako 75 for a while I would prefer more compact rifle now.

That said, its a fantastic rifle and Im still contemplating just having it chopped

I have a 27" barrel on my 20BR so do know where you are coming from. Case forming is far more complicated for 20PPC, if you chop the TAC20 by say 4 inches you will loose about 50fps per inch http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_barrel.htm

You could compensate that by using faster powder but that will generate higher pressures, you perhaps wont see the impact and accurate barrel life will be a bit shorter.

20PPC will I am sure give you sound advice, I think his barrell is about 18 or 19 inches.

A

Has anyone got any RL17 that they could spare a few grains from? I'll run it through my 20" barrel. I am going to also load some varget and n133 and test these next weekend at the Carlton Moor tunnel.

I am tempted to buy a full tub of Rl17 but have no other use for it at the minute.

I have a 27" barrel on my 20BR so do know where you are coming from. Case forming is far more complicated for 20PPC, if you chop the TAC20 by say 4 inches you will loose about 50fps per inch http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_barrel.htm

You could compensate that by using faster powder but that will generate higher pressures, you perhaps wont see the impact and accurate barrel life will be a bit shorter.

20PPC will I am sure give you sound advice, I think his barrell is about 18 or 19 inches.

A

Cutting a long barrel like yours at 27" I would guess the fps per inch would be much lower than 50fps per inch as the 20ppc and 20br seem to reach almost 'max' velocity, 4000fps (with slower twist barrel) with 40gr bullets, in around 22-24" of barrel. From around 22" downwards the fps/inch loss seems to be more like around 40fps/inch. Any speed from 3600fps to 4000fps with the 39gr BK will still be flat to 250 yards anyway (just over 1" difference at 250yds), so all pretty academic. After that distance you would still have to dial in anyway.

When you say case forming for ppc far more complicated than br - a bit more time to fireform - but not as if you need any special case forming dies?

Archived