Need some measurements

Ian

dont know suggest 3" wide x 4 inch long for starters.

Think Mark D has one - you should have his e-mail address through F Class association - alternatively post the question on the GB F Class forum (if you havent already) :)

Hi Andy, good idea about using the F class forum.

What I actually meant but typically didn't make very clear was this part..

The front of the fore-end is also relieved on the underside. This effectively lets the stock run on two integral rails. We’ve learned that this also improves tracking and reduces rocking since the stock doesn’t contact the hump in the middle of the front sandbag

Yup

you will find that two stainless rods partially inletted longitudanly in the underside of the stock do the same thing.....

Ive also thought of modifying the tracker stock (mine) in a similar way - reducing the depth of a section to the last 4 - 5 inches of forend by 1/2 " and milling two "rails" into both sides retaining the width but having the tracking ability enhanced.

I think a downside would be less friction on the bags so greater recoil, but if the change in cartridge works out as planned (it will) I see a reduction in felt recoil anyway.

I think the rail needs to be no more than 1/4" deep to work as the bag tops are pretty unforgiving - well mine is anyway.

Ian

not sure if this is what you are thinking of, but its a mod I was going to do AFTER, the Europeans - you just geed me up a bit :lol: :lol:

Anyway - standard Tracker stock is 2.9" wide and has flat base.

Should have taken a before pic :rolleyes:

After a couple of hours on the mill with a 1.5" diameter half round mill cutter and a straight......

This will lower the the stock on the rest by 1/4 inch - not much but it will help

DSCN2328.jpg

I milled some bag running rails into the underside - hopefully there is enough space to clear any "raised" area of the bag top now to stop instability.

DSCN2329.jpg

These "runners" extend to the rear of the cut out area and are .450 wide - I also machined only what I think to be enough of clearance space to maintian strength / inegrity bettween the base of the barrel channel and the new under channel.

DSCN2330.jpg

The WSM kicks a wee bit - I initially nade the cut out 4 inches long, but after a few tries decided that nearer 6 inches is better (aint it always :lol: :lol: )

DSCN2331.jpg

The stock is now re-sealed and presently being re-finished with Tru Oil.

It will be ready for the Europeans and we will see how it does - I was thinking of getting a Truflite stock as replacement or a PS Ballard, the former looks superb, the cost being prohibitive...

If the alterations work, I wont be changing. :D

Nicely done Andy, that's exactly what I was referring to.

Can I ask what is the measurement from the barrel channel to the bottom of the newly removed stock. My only concern about doing this with the Ballard is whether there will be enough laminate, and if removing some it it will have an impact on strength.

Nicely done Andy, that's exactly what I was referring to.

Can I ask what is the measurement from the barrel channel to the bottom of the newly removed stock. My only concern about doing this with the Ballard is whether there will be enough laminate, and if removing some it it will have an impact on strength.

Depth of timber at base of barrel channel to apex of "new inlet" is .750" (3/4")

Its more than adequate (I think) there is no flex laterally or longitudanaly.

The laminate is layered so that its vertical across the stocks width (obvious from the pics) - as most other stocks are, I am pretty certain that I could have left more material so that the "rails" would be less obvious.

What is there on the Ballard at the moment?

There's not much on the Ballard and it hasn't had the barrel channel done yet. I can't measure it because Mr McKillop has it at the moment (if you're reading this Neal could you measure it for me?) but I will take a rough guess at 1 and 3/4 inches to 2 inches max.

Archived