Has anybody got a recoil measuring device?

Hi guys,

As I know many of you here are very technically minded and curious I thought I should ask if anybody has ever put their minds to finding/buying/building a device that more or less accurately measures recoil? I know that a consulting company did some measurements for the Forestry Commission using accelerometers, but in my opinion that is open to errors as the recoil, measured as it was, will be influenced by the body mass behind the rifle, i.e. the shooter's body mass.

I know there are several formulae out there, but those only take into account weapon mass, calibre, powder charge, bullet weight, etc., but I guess it must assume that there is no friction on the jig that holds the weapon during firing. Basically I would like to be able to calculate recoil and muzzle flip on unsuppressed and suppressed weapons.

Would like to hear your thoughts on the above.

Best,

George

How about hanging the rifle on a pendulum and measure the angle which

it swings up and calculate from there.

Very little friction.

Won't help with muzzleflip though.

Muzzleflip depends on the stock too. Zero muzzle flip without mod will

mostly have zero muzzle flip with mod. ??

edi

George,

Don't know if this would help as an 'in the parish' start point (from Brassey's Small Arms and Cannons):

R= recoil energy (J)

M = weapon mass

m = bullet mass

v = muzzle velocity

c= charge mass

k = constant between 1.5 and 1.7

Unsuppressed :

R = (0.5 * v2(m + kc)2)/M

Suppressed (bit of a bluff as it pretends the charge/ gas is being caught entirely):

R = (0.5 * (mv)2)/M

George,

looks like you need to talk to my boss Geoff, he made the PMAX recoil pressure test device for measuring pressure in the chamber by using an accelerometer mounted on the rifle scope. He will know all there is about recoil as its used to measure the pressure.

Lee

Hi guys,

As I know many of you here are very technically minded and curious I thought I should ask if anybody has ever put their minds to finding/buying/building a device that more or less accurately measures recoil? ...........

Best,

George

Yes - my shoulder. Don't know why you want to measure recoil, but my shoulder is available on a consultancy basis at £800 per diem plus expenses, plus VAT. Happy to quote a global discounted figure for several days.

Regards, Tony

George,

what about this as an opening gambit.

If you removed the recoil pad off the butt. Mounted the rifle on a bench top trolley device on good bearings to minimise friction. It would then be able to move freely fore and aft.

Behind the butt and before a suitable anchoring face mount a load cell with a connection to a pc with labview or similar. Lightly spring the rifle to the rear so as to give a consistent start pressure which could be calibrated out.

This should then enable you to create a pressure (recoil) graph against time for you.

Archived