Turkey Hunting

Carl

The boys in the US rave about it, and some have spent weeks scouting out favourite hunting locations for the start of the Turkey Hunting season.

Judging by what I've read and heard I'd love to give it a go.

Anyone on here tried their hand?

Big Sport...??? 1/2 million+ hunters belong to the National Wild Turkey Federation alone. Ask any of our hunting organisations if they would like 1/2million members.

Bow hunting does have a massive appeal over there partly due to earlier starting and longer running seasons. Personally I'd stick to the 20 guage.

Before the law change regarding the release of non native species a good friend was planning on rearing and releasing Turkeys in the Scottish border country. Shame he never got around to doing it.

Think it is popular 'cos they are annoying so snd sos! you can hear them but rarely see them and if you do they are not close enough to shoot! Spend a number of hours sat in a hide calling to one and he was calling back but never did show himself ^_^

• 1 month later...

I visited during "thanksgiving", the Americans traditional time for hunting and eating Turkey. There was a lot on the various hunting chanels about hunting them.

Land where they are to found is prized and often difficult to get access too, Public land is treasured like a deep family secret and in some areas, due to population numbers and the popularity of the sport the "Tags" you need to buy are only available by a lottery system and very hard to come by?

For these reasons it wasn't possible to hunt turkey in 2004.

I got to hear turkeys whilst high in a stand, pig hunting in Texas in 2007 but that is as close as it has got.

I live in hope!

Archived