Reloading .22 Hornet

247sniper

Hi guys,

I am just about to start reloading my hornet. I am going to start of using 35 grain v-max rounds with Hodgdon Lil gun powder.

On the Hodgeon web site it says a starting load of 12 grains and a max load of 13 grains, do you have to start off on the very bottom load, ie 12 grains?

When working up the loads with the hornet, what sort of load increments would be advisable , ie 12.2, 12.4, 12.6 ect, or with it being a small load anyway, would i need to take it even slower?

How many of each load would you make to try?

Any adivise would be greatfull guys

Many thanks

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Steve,

Sorry this post got left unnoticed! You can certainly start at 12.0 grains (prudence) but jumping to 13 will be fine. The real limiting factor in MAX loads of Lil Gun is case Capacity. If you look at the pressures listed by Hodgdon you'll see that even at MAX it is still far below listed industry allowable maximum pressures for that cartridge. I have a rancher friend who loads Hornet/Lil Gun for his pretty wife. They have an 1800 acre prairiedog town on their place and she LOVES to shoot prairiedogs to the extent my friend can't keep up with her and her CZ Hornet. To cut down on reloading time he meters powder by scooping the case full from powder dumped in a soup bowl, then shakes off a wee bit to allow the bullet to seat. No proble3ms with pressure or accuracy... and his wife would complain about variations in either!

Start at 12.0, then 12.5, then 13.0 and don't worry. The powder charge won't give you any problems. Also, you might sometime want to try the Midway "Dogtown" 34 grain HP's. I killed 18 p.dogs with it yesterday from my CZ, from 25 to 204M. Better BC than the V-Max.~Andrew

Steve,

Concur with Andrew, Even in my K Hornet you could not get enough powder into see pressure.

Some things I found that improved accuracy was using pistol primers - think this is something to do with the small case and the primer shifting things before the powder burn. Also using the Lee factory crimp die.

Good luck and it's a fun cartridge.

Terry

Steve,

Concur with Andrew, Even in my K Hornet you could not get enough powder into see pressure.

Some things I found that improved accuracy was using pistol primers - think this is something to do with the small case and the primer shifting things before the powder burn. Also using the Lee factory crimp die.

Good luck and it's a fun cartridge.

Terry

Absolutely! Small pistol primers and the Factory Crimp Die. Another item I like is the Lee Universal Neck Expander Die. I use it to put a very gentle flare on the case mouth before seating. It saves chamfering brass off of an already thin neck and helps with alignment of the bullet during seating. The crimp is used to just take that flare out and a little more. It doesn't take much of either to do it right. Remember to trim your brass at every loading.~Andrew

Andrew,

Not trying to steal the thread but I also purchased one of these: http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5515.html to put a cannelure exactly where it was needed to produce the correct LOA but found it to be unnecessary as the Lee crimp did the job.

Terry

Andrew,

Not trying to steal the thread but I also purchased one of these: http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5515.html to put a cannelure exactly where it was needed to produce the correct LOA but found it to be unnecessary as the Lee crimp did the job.

Terry

Yes sir, the Factory Crimp Die does the trick. I know some makers don't like them used on their bullets but I have yet to come across a detectable problem. I try the F.C. die on all of the cartridges I load for but have found the greatest benefit in use with the Hornet.~Andrew

Hiya guys, thanks for your reply,

Sorry for my late reply as well, ive been away!

My stuff has arrived here now so just need to set it up over the next day or two. The only thing that i didnt get was the crimp die, is that a must? I have only read you replys now after ordering! :lol:

Ive got fedral small rifle primer too, witch i here work well with the other combinations etc.

Just another question guys i know max case lenghth is 1.405 or somting,(of the top of my head) What would you trim your cases back down too?

Ill catch up with you later on guys

Thanks again for your help

Steve

Hiya guys, thanks for your reply,

Sorry for my late reply as well, ive been away!

My stuff has arrived here now so just need to set it up over the next day or two. The only thing that i didnt get was the crimp die, is that a must? I have only read you replys now after ordering! :lol:

Ive got fedral small rifle primer too, witch i here work well with the other combinations etc.

Just another question guys i know max case lenghth is 1.405 or somting,(of the top of my head) What would you trim your cases back down too?

Ill catch up with you later on guys

Thanks again for your help

Steve

I hate to admit it but I never measured my case length. I bought a Lee cutter/lock stud assembly for Hornet and leave it set up so that I give every case a twist at each reloading session. If it stretched, it gets trimmed, if not it doesn't. If and when you plan on crimping I would plan on trimming at every session as a uniform case length is the best way to guarantee optimal results with the crimping die. Since I would plan on trimming at every reloading anyhow, I would trim it to recommended length... maybe minus .005".~Andrew

I hate to admit it but I never measured my case length. I bought a Lee cutter/lock stud assembly for Hornet and leave it set up so that I give every case a twist at each reloading session. If it stretched, it gets trimmed, if not it doesn't. If and when you plan on crimping I would plan on trimming at every session as a uniform case length is the best way to guarantee optimal results with the crimping die. Since I would plan on trimming at every reloading anyhow, I would trim it to recommended length... maybe minus .005".~Andrew

Well finally, i got my stuff and have spent the night making up my starting loads. Just hope tomorrow will be a decent da to try them???

U must say i did enjo doing it, paying paticular attension on cleaning the cases, measuring them , cutting them to size etc etc. Really looking forward to doing a bit more.... just hope its worth it!

Steve

Well finally, i got my stuff and have spent the night making up my starting loads. Just hope tomorrow will be a decent da to try them???

U must say i did enjo doing it, paying paticular attension on cleaning the cases, measuring them , cutting them to size etc etc. Really looking forward to doing a bit more.... just hope its worth it!

Steve

Have fun, shoot straight, and let us know how it worked out.-Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Any news?? I shot a small basket load of prairiedogs today with my CZ Hornet. I was out with a friend who had a .22LR along so I took everything past 100 yards and let him have the stupid ones. Got most from 125 to 150 yards but got two past 200 yards: One at 218 and the other at 248 yards. This, again. with the 34 grain Dogtown bullets crimped over 13.5 of Lil Gun. Splendid load. Good down-range performance, too. No run-offs.~Andrew

Any news?? I shot a small basket load of prairiedogs today with my CZ Hornet. I was out with a friend who had a .22LR along so I took everything past 100 yards and let him have the stupid ones. Got most from 125 to 150 yards but got two past 200 yards: One at 218 and the other at 248 yards. This, again. with the 34 grain Dogtown bullets crimped over 13.5 of Lil Gun. Splendid load. Good down-range performance, too. No run-offs.~Andrew

Very happy with my 1st reloading session today,

12.5 grains of Lilgun gave good results, 12.8 grains gave very poor results, with 13 grains giving excellent reults apart from the 1 flyer... twitched at the last min on the pull!!

All loads were tested at 100 yards in good conditions with 35 grain v-max.. Well pleased with myself

Time to make some more round up

Oppps sorry andrew, i forgot to add the photos, could not get the picture with 12.8 grains uploaded, but it was really bad ! heres the better two, what do ya recon ? :D

post-10190-040744800 1286841307_thumb.jpg

Oppps sorry andrew, i forgot to add the photos, could not get the picture with 12.8 grains uploaded, but it was really bad ! heres the better two, what do ya recon ? :D

Oh Yeah! That's what we're talking about! Nice shooting and evidence of some quality reloading technique. Good job! ~Andrew

Oh Yeah! That's what we're talking about! Nice shooting and evidence of some quality reloading technique. Good job! ~Andrew

Yeh excellent thanks for your help matey! and people say that hornets are not accurate!! I was worried that when i started reloading i was going to open a can of worms and struggle to get groups etc... I made several loads up last week and was just waiting for a decent day to test them, weather was excellent tonight so i thought id go for it. Made some more 13 grain loads up tonight and weather is looking good, get it zeroed and set up tonight hopfully !

Thaks again for you help Andrew! :D

Just been out again tonight, conditions good only a slight right to left breeze but went to zero the new loads in...... Well chuffed, was about a inch high last night so dialed in 1 moa and let rip, put three shots in a tiny bug hole, slightly to the left witch i expected due to the breeze, Didnt bother shooting anymore, excellent!

This reloading is great ! ;)

Steve

Just been out again tonight, conditions good only a slight right to left breeze but went to zero the new loads in...... Well chuffed, was about a inch high last night so dialed in 1 moa and let rip, put three shots in a tiny bug hole, slightly to the left witch i expected due to the breeze, Didnt bother shooting anymore, excellent!

This reloading is great ! ;)

Steve

Yes it is, and you're doing it well. I had the Hornet out again the other evening, briefly, and shot a single dog from the window of my Jeep at about 160 yards. The wind was absolutely still. That sod-rat never had a chance.

I shot off the last of the 34 grain HP ammo I had loaded so I will be back at the loading bench ASAP~Andrew

Yes it is, and you're doing it well. I had the Hornet out again the other evening, briefly, and shot a single dog from the window of my Jeep at about 160 yards. The wind was absolutely still. That sod-rat never had a chance.

I shot off the last of the 34 grain HP ammo I had loaded so I will be back at the loading bench ASAP~Andrew

Well done Andrew, nice one mate, ive reloaded 50 rounds up, and have got 50 cases prept and primed witch i will finnish of reloading tonight, just looking forward to doing a bit more now and popping a few bunnies off ;)

Speak later mate

STeve

Archived