reloading .22 hornet

247sniper

Hi guys,

im going to reload my .22 hornet, i was going to by the lee aneversary kit, but get the RCBS 502 beam scales as well (bit better) and get the Lee collet neck sizing dies,

What do you more advanced reloaders think this combination would be like, any good?

Cheers guys

ATB

Steve

Hi Steve,

You should have no problems with that. The Lee scales are a bit naff I must say. I use a cheap electronic mostly and just use the Lee scales as a double check every now and then or for a new load where I'm not familiar with how full the case should be.

I throw all my charges either on the Lee powder measure for single stage loading or on the Hornady for progressive.

Lee collet neck dies are the business, that's what I use for all my calibres. For the Hornet I found they needed to be set 'tight' so the collet is fully closed. You'll see in the instructions.

Trimming wise the Lee cutter / length gage is OK for a few rounds and you can put the shell holder in a drill to speed things up a bit.

The RCBS trimmer is good and can have the motor system put on at a later date if you want, and that is very fast!

I've yet to do some testing using the Lee crimp die on the Hornet. Tried it with the .308 and it seemed to make sod all difference, but I think it makes a bigger difference on the Hornet and greatly evens up the neck tension.

H110 and Lil Gun are good powders. 35 grain V max go well. I use small pistol primers in mine.

Have fun and enjoy the vast savings over factory fodder.

Cheers

Clive

Here's a few...

Thread one

Thread two (the long one)

These should keep you reading for a little bit... :)

Cheers thanks guys, i have a lot of reading to do,

Ill have a read through and get back to ya,

Thanks again guys

Steve

Archived