20BR - anyone have one?

force64

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone seen Alycidon?

Hi,

Got a wedding today so a bit short on time at present.

I built a long barrelled heavy 1 in 9 twist to shoot the Berger 50s, modestly loaded with N150 it kills anything it hits, shoots in the .2s and I see most impacts without a moddy. It is a heavy rifle though, 14lbs + scope.

In search of more dramatic splatter factor I have this summer started using Sierra 39gr Blitzkings, the twist is a bit to fast for them but they still shoot in the .3-.4s when I do my bit. They splatter things like a 6mm, again when modestly loaded at about 3600. It tends to be my long range/truck rifle of choice, longest fox in the year I have had it was 252 yards, no far by some people here's standards but a long one for me.

Hopefully here is a pic

20BRReady.jpg

Since that pic Vermincinerator refinished the stock for me in a shiny True Oil finish.

I have just started shooting it in some BR comps where it has opened a few eyes.

A

What sort of rifle are you thinking about building?, what sort of distances is it most commonly likely to be used at?.

The above started on paper as a lightweight walking rifle, it finished up been built purely for accuracy and as a result is very heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

What sort of rifle are you thinking about building?, what sort of distances is it most commonly likely to be used at?.

The above started on paper as a lightweight walking rifle, it finished up been built purely for accuracy and as a result is very heavy.

Looking at custom .20Br with Sako 75 action, Mac Millan stock, 23" border barrel 1:10 twist. Aim to use the 39gn Blitzking and shoot up to 300yds.

Andy

Looking at custom .20Br with Sako 75 action, Mac Millan stock, 23" border barrel 1:10 twist. Aim to use the 39gn Blitzking and shoot up to 300yds.

Andy

If you're getting that made from scratch, I would look at getting a 1-11 twist for the 39gr sierras. A 1-10 twist is not fast enough for 50gr, and more than the ideal 1-11 for 39/40gr.

If you're getting that made from scratch, I would look at getting a 1-11 twist for the 39gr sierras. A 1-10 twist is not fast enough for 50gr, and more than the ideal 1-11 for 39/40gr.

Agreed, the 39gr Blitzking is a fantastic bullet, the Berger 50gr wants a 1 in 9 twist. Under 300 yards there is not a lot of difference in the drops and drifts, over that then the Berger 50 is quite a bit better drop and drift wise. I do drive the 39s at about 3600 through a long 1 in 9 and they still shoot in the .3s or so. The 40gr VMax through that twist at above 3700 breaks up in flight. Ihave a 1 in 9 yet the 39 SBK is my favorite bullet for it, crows in 4 pieces, foxes missing major parts of head etc , very effective.

300 yards or less then yes do it as a 1 in 11, your should if you want be able to get 4000fps or pretty close to out of it.

A

Archived