Shooting sticks

huntsman

I always rest the rifle in direct contact with the V of the sticks, have never had any problems doing it that way with my 75, but recently I have been using a home made version of the quad pod sticks and have found them to be a lot more accurate with less movement.

Iv got the lightweight aliminium telescopic sticks which came with the webbing strap to rest the rifle on, first thing i did was take that peice of webbing off, i rest the forend in the V and hold the sticks at the hinge at arms lenght, makes a solid shooting platform and alot of deer have dropped because of it! ;)

huntsman,

Use a homemade set of sticks fabricated from the green platic covered steel garden centre 'canes'. Mine are the 'delux' version with some rubber hose slid over the upper ends. The rifle sits between these on the sling so not realy 'hard up' on the sticks. does not seem to shift any zero relative to a bag or 'bench' rest.

Terry

I have a set of knobloch X sticks, they have a thin web strap across the top and I tend to rest the legs of the bipod on them as the bipod is folded when I shoot off X sticks.

I find it a very very stable shooting platform ,but I have done a lot of wokr with them ,the secret in using them is to have then slightly leaning back towards you ,so you are pushing into them.If they are vertical it can cause you to be unbalanced , I have shot eggs consistantly from a standing position at a range of 200yrds , which can be confired by 6mmbr off here ,we have done a video of it to go on the dvd ,

cheers Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I have the knobloch tripod and although i find them great when lamping, they have cost me a Roe doe, all because i had a bit of a tussle getting the sticks set up, so i now use some plastic garden canes when deerstalking.

I rest the forend in the v & on the webbing on the knoblochs and have been very succesfull when solo lamping, lamp in my left hand & rifle resting on the webbing on the knoblochs.

Archived