fireball barrel life

leadpig

it looks like our flo over here has seen reason and will be allowing some of us 17 fireball

can any one who HAS one or had one give me any advise on what to look out for/any makes to avoid when buying one .

also a straight answer on barrel life some say 3k but others have said 15k and still going

last question,what is the sensible working range for rabbits ect on this calibre

thanks for any help dave

LeadPig,

As far as I know only Remington are doing 17 Furballs as standard and they have a several models available . I think there's one on Guntrader.

As far as barrel life is concerned I think 3-4K at moderate velocities would be a reasonable expectation.

The other options are a custom build on a CZ, Sako or similar short action. Swift Rifles the last time I heard had one on a Sako action at VERY resonable money. It might be worth dropping him a line

(p: 01527 871 620 / 07739 689 871).

Its really meant to be 200-300yd round and will be effective at that distance on bunnies (and then some :rolleyes: .

We are starting to see a lot of shot-out cz .17hmr,s that have had 7-8000 rounds down them. The furball will be burning twice that amount of powder. I would estimate 4000 rounds personally.

We are starting to see a lot of shot-out cz .17hmr,s that have had 7-8000 rounds down them. The furball will be burning twice that amount of powder. I would estimate 4000 rounds personally.

What's the accuracy like for a shot-out 8000 round 17HMR? (ie. how bad has it got)

no swift dont have a webite as such, you'll need to drop them a line. If its the same 17fb that I saw the last time I was there its a nice little thing for sensible money (he's had it for a while so maybe even a bit of negotiation on the price!!)

Dave,

Swift did my mates 17 AH and a cracking job he made of it too. Its a tack driver at 200yds!Cant hurt to drop him a bell. I think as it stood the rifle was about 1/2 K or there abouts but a little more if you wanted it tarted up some.

Pete

Get hold of dasherman, the man can build a rifle and he has a 17 fireball and I am sure he will be happy to discuss this sort of thing, find a cheap cz527 action and rebarrel it will probably end up cheaper than a new remmy.

i think baldie is on the button there with estimated 4000 for the 17fb maybe a few more with a good bbl and a light load.if your after a custom i ordered a cooper last year from brian fox i have had it 4 months now and its got 550 rounds through it,it shows a little copper at 40+rounds but a lot of carbon even with 5 down the tube so i aiways take a rod/bore guide and some kg with me when out bunny bashing.the effective range with 20vmax is 150-200yds with no wind the 25gn bergers will shoot a little better to 200 with a little more hold over.

it knocks over charlie with no exit so is very safe.as for bunnys head shots let you take them home.i also shoot a .17rem but the 17fb is more enjoyable to shoot.

hope this helps you decide.

A rifle that works at 22-26K burning out a barrel? I wonder how much of that is cleaning rod wear.~Andrew

Hmm, check out this link; 40,000 to 50,000 rounds quoted to burn out an HMR barrel. But not CZ and probably by guys who know a thing or two about barrel cleaning.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showt...6318&page=2

I can only speak from experience of burnt out cz,s in the shop. I also know we aren,t the only ones getting them. Edgars are having rebarrelling enquiries all the time.

I find the idea of what is essentially a small calibre jacketed bullet doing centrefire velocities, attaining 50, 000 rounds.....completely unbelievable. There isn,t a centrefire cartridge made that will attain that barrel life. A rimfire at 2400 fps with a jacketed bullet wont be a lot different.

I can only speak from experience of burnt out cz,s in the shop. I also know we aren,t the only ones getting them. Edgars are having rebarrelling enquiries all the time.

I find the idea of what is essentially a small calibre jacketed bullet doing centrefire velocities, attaining 50, 000 rounds.....completely unbelievable. There isn,t a centrefire cartridge made that will attain that barrel life. A rimfire at 2400 fps with a jacketed bullet wont be a lot different.

The big difference between a rimfire and centrefire is chamber pressure, about 24,000 psi for an HMR compared to 61,000 psi for a .17 Rem centrefire. The much higher chamber pressure and temperature results in throat erosion which typically determines the barrel life of a centrefire.

If the burnt out CZ's were not suffering from throat erosion but some other general rifling malaise due to neglect, then there can be no relevance of HMR barrel life to the OP question re' a Fireball.

Makes a semi HMR a bit of a non starter even if we were allowed them, you knw what they are like to chew through ammo.

A

Archived