300 win mag load advice

Hi Guys,

Just had a custom rifle made by borders and after them shooting the barrel in now starting work on a load devolopment!

Mc Millian lazzeroni stock

borden timberline action

border archer 24" barrell 1 in 12 twist

Jewell triger

3rd eye tacticail spartan mod, rail and rings

with a zeiss 6-24x56 il davari on top

Made a few loads up with 165gr nosler accubonds with a start load of 68.5 gr of vit n160, going up to 73 gr(which were awful)

70 gr shot a 3/4 of a inch group @100yards wich is a starting point, loaded 0.10 hou of the lands with a mv of 2854fps

One thing i noticed is that there was no real increase of velocity as the load went up? Should i be useing a slower burning powder as i would like to get the mv up to around the 3100 mark?

Considering imr 4831 or vit n165?

any advice would be great as new to the calibre and dont know many who have one.rifle will be used for stalking with some long range stuff.

Cheers

Cloverleaf

Blimey, you've got to post some pics of the rifle - it sounds great!

My 300win days are behind me, but I used n165 successfully - I also got better results with heavier bullets (180gr+)

(but with 165gr, you're doing the right thing sticking with bonded bullets -if you can get them up to speed - as you say, your mv does sound a bit 308ish at the moment)

Are you using photobucket ? or similar ? this is the easy way. I,ve never used the site,s upload feature personally.

Regarding the fps. Are you seeing pressure signs with the loads ?

Just read the post again. You will be unlikely to reach top velocities with a 24" barrel and slow powders.

Thanks guys, not seeing any signd of pressure but as i went up in charge the group went everywhere, just compareing the mv stated in the reloading manual to what i was acchiving with the same lenght barrell, dont think i can get these photos up will keep trying.................

I have used 165 gr sierra spt and when loaded 1 calibre deep into neck they are nowhere near the rifling, I suspect you may have them too far out. The std bullet for 300wm is 185 gr and they do shoot best with that weight of bullet, having sadi that mine as above will group into .5" comfortably at 100 yds. I use Reloader 22 and get around 3000fps with the recommended load of 76grs and CCI magnum primer. As I'm sure you know these head space on the belt not the shoulder, so oal measuring takes a bit more fiddling about. The 1000yd plus shooters use 185gr bullets well off the lands and get some very impressive results, I get much the same accuracy with the 185s at 200yds as I do with the 165s at 100, with the added advantage that anything I shoot is still useable, whereas the 165s blow stuff to bits.

Redfox

One calibre deep in this instance means the bullet calibre is .308" so it needs to be seated .308" deep in the case. I disregard the boat tail from the measurement personally. Other people may do it differently.

The bullet diameter rule is a very good one. anything seated by a smaller amount will have a poor start in the bore, and will undoubtedly lead to yaw.

Hi Cloverleaf,

I did some load development for a Tikka T3 tactical 300 mag with Nosler 180 gr Accubonds

Found the best powder was N560 started at 74.0 gr and went to 77.0 gr

in .5 gr steps shooting 3 shot groups best load was 76.5 at 2947fps

At 77.0 gr had sticky extraction and velocity dropped to 2933

Used Winchester cases Federal 215 primers bullets seated at 3.340" to fit magazine

N560 is hard to get down here so had to settle for second best powder ADI AR2217

it's too slow burning for the 300 Win 80 grains is compressed the load we went with

was 79.2 gr only doing 2810fps, A couple of weeks ago the rifles owner dropped a 10 point

Red stag at 335 yds with it,

He also has an Armalite AR30 in 300 Win the magazine is longer and we can load to 3.500"

and get 80.5 grs of AR2217 with a velocity of 3054fps having 2" longer barrel helps

Hope this helps

Robert.

Archived