Back in Action

nemasis243

Well after being switched off from the world for a few days ,last nite saw me back on my feet and out to stretch my legs.

Iv been off for a few days with the bloody back playing up again, so its been painkillers and motionless on the floor until better.

I had a call teatime from a Keeper friend of mine called Vern,

"They have just combines and do you want to have a look " well it didnt take long to work the answer out lol.

We set off a 21.45hrs and with me on the the lamp in the passenger seat we drove into the first field, top left hand corner saw a pair of eyes glowing back ,so Vern parked side on and I got out , got the rifle from the case in the back of the open back landy and rested on the bonnet.

Vern held the light ,from his drivers seat position and I got settled in behind the rifle, he slowely brought the light down ,just so you you could get a faint glow of the eyes,I tapped the bonnet and he stopped and I got my self lined up and dropped the bolt,one more little tap and the light dropped until it shone on the fox full time.

I checked the back stop ,Vern gave the ok and thump, a nice shot of over 240yrds to start the night,

We did three fields one after another and did the same thing in all 3 picking off a charlie in each,

As we were leaving the 3rd field Vern said, bloody hell Brooky we have another 20fields to do could be in for a bit of a nite here have you enough ammo lol?

Well ammo wasnt a problem ,been there before and learnt a lesson, And I always say now to my self " if its too much ammo ,I can always take it home at the end of the night"

Well Vern's words were the kiss of death, we drove to all the other fields an nothing, each field we stopped and I had a very short call just to see if there was anything in the hegdes that we couldnt see , but to no avail.

I then said well we have had 3 which is better than 2 shall we call it a night?

His answer was yep and we headed away from the fields, as we were driving down the road he said ," what about the long field in Colby, I wonder if thats been cut"?

We got to the gate ,which was open and drove in , the field is about 500yrds long and about 300 wide and they had just finished combining my the look of things, we got to a small brow and parked up and I got out the truck with the lamp,

I spotted eyes about 200yrds away , one pair so I gave a little sqeak,

Then it was like Blackpool illumination , 5 sets of eyes looking back towards us.

One set was alot bigger than the rest, this was about 20yrds further behind the main group ,so that was my first target if all went ok.

I got the rifle out the back of the truck as Vern truned to give me a good shooting Platform, the way he parked the truck gave me a good arc of fire so I could cover all the targets we had seen.

Vern got out and came round to hold the light off to my left side.

I shoot a Tikka 243win for my foxing ,which holds 5rnds, so when I have 5 targets infront of me I give myself an extra bullet by loading one in the breech first and reloading the mag till full but dont put it back into the rifle until I have shot the first round,

It mite seem a bit OTT but I have learnt from past episodes that it works for me.

"Top of the shop Vern" was my comment and he held the light on the big set of eyes , within a split second the fox was down and I said next as I loaded the mag into the rifle, by this time he was onto the furthest out of the group and bang ,another on the floor.

I managed to take all 4cubs and the vixon in a very short time and to be honest was very chuffed with myself, and dint need the extra round.

Vern as a game Keeper was over the moon and was singing my praises, he has seen me shoot many many foxes and shots that always get brought up in coversation whe were having a walk down memory lane ,lol.

Anyway 8 in the bag and 2 happy guys, cant wait for next week , looks like the Turkey farm is ready for a visit.

cheers Andy

Nice write up andy & a great nights shooting :-P

its got real slow donw here!

did thosands of acres on friday from about 10pm to 130am & didnt see anything untill the last hour where i shot to almost full grown cubs!

had about 20 foxs of this permison som far this year!

last year this time it was 50 odd!

cheers Andy

I know what you mean Skany, some years I have taken over a hundred off a farm in a year then the next year could be more or could be less there's no telling.

We are having a lot of trouble here with lads with long dogs ,running them on foxes. if they hav permission thats not a prob.but when there on my land without it ,it is causing me a lot of probs,

Have night vision here at the mo if I need it but I do prefer the lamp.

Anyhow I hope you get into a few more soon.

ATB Andy

Archived