Last night

Alycidon

Went out with a lamp last week and nailed a monster dog fox but another one that was in some sheep when it did present a shot was not safe so left for another day.

As that one is only 100 yards from a pen I had a quick look last night for half an hour. There it was same place but right in the middle of some ewes and lambs. Eventually it decided to wonder down a bank away from the ewes giving me a chance when it stood for a couple of seconds. About 200 yards, first one at that distance with a 39gr SBK. 27 for 27 since the last miss so everything's good.

Well you know what follows the Lord Mayors show dont you !!, around the other side of this drive is some newly combined oats. My initial drive through revealed nothing, on the way back I thought I caught a flash of an eye. All set up, nothing, call , nothing. Think its perhaps a moth I saw and move the truck forward. Another sweep and a very fast flash, set up again, not sure if it his a fox of a little Munti doe I had seen in the area the day before. I can now see Charlie and he is making his way directly away from me having an occasional look over his shoulder. Turns right but continues to walk quickly, at 'Oui' he stopped, broadside at about 150 yards, touched it off, felt a good shot but no impact , no eye drop nothing and no carcase even this morning.

How the hell I did that god knows, nice short stubble, broadside, no wind and worst of all no fox.

A

I joined that club last night, as well.

Was calling one which didn't want to play, when this fox walked diagonally across the field, taking no notice of lamp or call, and coming from the direction of my pen.

He finally stopped , with a safe back stop, on the cultivated rape stubble.

Can't beleive it, but as I touched the trigger I knew the outcome. Yet all seemed right, or I wouldn't have squeezed.

There wasn't even a rape stalk in front of him to give me an excuse.

Double homework is called for.

Back on the range tonight, then perhaps try the lamp on the range for effect.

Never mind it does happen.

It will just frustrate you for a while!

Check your zero, just for your own confidence though.

Stubbles can be funny things shot one a few years ago and couldn't find it.

Went back the following day and there it was lying in one of the rows.

We must have walked right passed it god knows how many times.

Cheers and better luck on your next outing.

Dave

I totally agree with Dave , many times I have been looking for foxes on stuble for up to 1/2hr, Dave shot one down with me two years ago , RAY ,DAVE and MYself searched for ages but no joy, went back the next day and the tracks of the mule were about 2ft away , that was the night we picked 15 out of the 18 we shot, the other 2 were the other side of the valley dead as a dodo but we just never got round there to pick them up .

Could you have misjudged the range? I shot a fox a couple of years back, thought he was 120, turned out to be 170, only found him the next day after giving up looking around 120 and almost walked on him on my way back to the car.

I shot some rape stuble for a few years on the same patch. I hadn't shot if for a couple of years until last year when I had my mate on the lamp, we got on to basil and I let rip as always confident with the condistions. After a half hour of pissing about searching and my mate who is the land owner taking the piss we let the dogs out onto the field. Yup it was where it dropped a good 75 yards off where we were both certain of the shot was taken.

And thats 75 yards closer than we thought.

I would test the exact same batch of ammo at the same distance to rule out faulty equipment. It may be that what you thought was a good batch may not perform so well at 200 yards.

In terms of foxes I prefer using the Nosler .20 BT (32 or 40) as the Sierra BK have a very thin jacket.

Could you have misjudged the range? I shot a fox a couple of years back, thought he was 120, turned out to be 170, only found him the next day after giving up looking around 120 and almost walked on him on my way back to the car.

I did slightly in so much as it was maybe 30 yards closer than I thought but using the 20BR at 3700 or so it does not really matter much if its under 250 yards a center chest shot will do.

I have had bullets hit rape stubble stalks and break up before they arrived to spoil Charlies whole day, now I usually use match bullets in that situation, they may also break up but I have not lost anything I have fired at since in rape.

Pretty sure that I missed by not having the stock in the right position in the shoulder and missing high. Release did feel OK though. Not checked zero yet but I would be sure its fine.

A

That's fair comment about the stock, done as much myself knowing I wasn't 100% but only dawned on me after the shot. What I meant by the range was that your dead fox may still be laying in that field, just not where ya expect him. I shoot over a lot of flat bogland, and it's a major effort to find a shot fox if I misjudge the range, or take the lamp of the spot where he falls as it all looks the same! Speaking of stocks I must get mine altered, just had her bedded and recrowned and getting a mod and screw cut Sunday :)

Yes I have walked past them as well, times I have thought they wre tight against a hedge but they were in fact 50 yards out in the field, usually when walking but this was short stubble and chopped so he should have been visible. Next morning I took my Lab and Collie down for a look and nothing, they would have found it I think.

Have another look tonight maybe.

A

Archived