Flyers in group? 6 mm BR

Dan534

Like to pick the brains of you more experienced re loaders,

I currently have a new 6 mm BR that I'm finalizing a load for. I use a typical load of 30.3gr of Varget under a 107 Matchking, it shoots 4 round in the high 0.2 at 100 yds, but I always get 1 flyer abourt an half inch away from the group and its not always on the same shot :D

I'm thinking its maybe me, the nut behind the trigger as it does 90% of the time. I've shot from prone and off the bench, and don't have the same issue with my .308. It even had it with the same charge of varget and 105 A-max bullets to eliminate the Match Kings. I'm however using older cases coming towards the end of there life so Im wondering if its the work hardened cases and neck tension on some of the cases.

I'm in the learning stages still reloading for this caliber. All previous experience has been with .308.

So I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on this?

Dan

Chuck the brass and get some new Dan. The neck tension is bound to be iffy if they have done some. Nothing shoots like new brass, and its unfair on a new gun/cartridge to attempt load developement with anything but new brass. Remove the variable.

Cheers baldie, I stupidly hadn't realized it was the older brass when I PM'ed you. Ive got some brand new shiny brass, its ready to be loaded, I will be making a detailed log off the number of times its been loaded and marking it on the box. And idea of expected Lapua case life?

Lapua say their cases will do 10 reloads. With a chamber cut to minimum headspace, and a bit of annealing now and again, you would get a lot more.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dan,

Ayy update on your results with new brass, I am thinking of trying the matchkings in my BR.

Yes, I tried new brass, a lot more consistent. Pretty much every load I tried with the SMKs shot well, nothing over 0.4 of an inch. Settled on 30.3gr of Varget with a .30 thou jump, sweet spotseems to be 2850+ fps. Its true what they say about the 6br and 107 SMK, the shoot so easily and now it mag feeds flawlessly too :). I'm going to partially full length size to save barrel life. Let me know how you get on with yours.

Yes, I tried new brass, a lot more consistent. Pretty much every load I tried with the SMKs shot well, nothing over 0.4 of an inch. Settled on 30.3gr of Varget with a .30 thou jump, sweet spotseems to be 2850+ fps. Its true what they say about the 6br and 107 SMK, the shoot so easily and now it mag feeds flawlessly too :). I'm going to partially full length size to save barrel life. Let me know how you get on with yours.

Sorry, but I don't understand that last bit.

Sorry, but I don't understand that last bit.

Sorry poor explanation,

I haven't got a neck sizing die yet. So I'm going to try re-sizing the necks and shoulder of the case only, by using the full length sizing die.

Apparently if you wind the die away from the shell holder 1 or 2 turns, then the die only re-sizes neck and part of the shoulder. Dont know if anybody else has tried this?

Hopefully this will make the cases last longer.

Cheers.

Archived