NRA 150th Anniversary Imperial Meeting Bisley

Well I don't know really where to start as it has been a long meet of 10 days as I shot Match rifle the first week.

As some of you know I love shooting F class.

During the imperial meet at Bisley the F class competions are run along side the target rifle events.

They follow the same competions but are shot on separate butts with the F class targets.

The whole competion is made up of 15 individual competions of 2 sighters + 15 to count at distances from 300 to 1000 yards.

These are then added together to form aggregates long range 900+1000/short range 300/500/600 yards and the Grand Aggregate of the 2.

This equates to 3 competions a day for 5 days which is a bit of a marathon.

Here are some of the trophies people compete for.

Bisley013.jpg

Bisley015.jpg

Pretty impresive.

It is the largest collection of sporting silver in the world and is priceless.

My kit for this meeting was a .284Win based on a Barnard P action in a Shehane Tracker stock, she has a 32" straight 1.25" Bartlein 9 twist barrel and was built by Neil Mckillop aka Dasherman.

The rifle launches a 175gn Sierra Matchking at 2970 fps.

Bisley016.jpg

The competion was great fun and the weather was supeb bar 2 soakings.

As the week progressed my scores started to build nicely helped by a win in the Donegal competion at 300 yards.

I made a perfect score of 90 putting all my shots into the 2.25" V bull, which earnt me a HPS (highest possible score) medal along with the gold.

Bisley008.jpg

Squad shooting 300 Yards

Bisley007.jpg

A fair breeze running across Century range

I took a few bronzes and silvers in the various competions and my aggregate was building nicely.

By Monday night I was lying in 3rd place in the Grand Aggreate on the same score as Wolfgan Scholze the 2005 World Champion but slightly a head on V count.

Tuesday was a good day and I pulled a head, it was great to see my name on the Grand Aggregate board.

Bisley020.jpg

A good final shoot at 900 yards on Stickledown cemented my bronze medal

Bisley018.jpg

It was down to the whailing wall to see if I had got into Fridays Finals

Bisley021.jpg

I was pleased to have made the Queens Prize F class final.

This was a 2 leg shoot of 2+15 at 900 and 1000 yards.

I shot a poor 900 yard stage with fish tailing wind making me play ping pong with the 4 ring, the 5" V bull being elusive to say the least!

We fell back to 1000 and I don't know what happened I got into the zone and bar 3 shots in the 4 ring in the first six to count the rest went into the 5 or V. I still thought I had blown it but had the satisfaction of finnishing on a good shoot.

I was about to pack my stuff up when the announced the winners.

My mates reckoned my jaw hit the floor when Mik Maksimovic announced the results with me in silver medal place!

Bisley024.jpg

A superb week with a bronze medal in the Grand Aggregate a silver in the Long Range Agg a bronze in the Short Range Agg and to cap it all a silver medal in the Queens Prize F class final.

The only problem now is all the empty brass in the truck needs reloading!

All the results can be viewed here

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/results/i...10&site=NRA

Cheers

Dave

I watched Dave shoot in the 900 yards detail and the conditions were twitchy to say the least, which makes his score of 78 in the 1000 yard detail a fantastic achievement. I wished I could have stayed until the end.

Many congratulations on a great shoot.

The Imperial week is pretty gruelling and making a cock-up in any of the large number of shoots can ruin your grand in one fell swoop (as I found with a 69 in the Daily Telegraph - the first shoot in the grand! :rolleyes: ) so to do well you have to be a) very good and :blink: very consistent and it was certainly not the easiest of conditions particularly at the start of the week.

Cheers

JohnE (85th in the TR grand!!)

Many congratulations on a great shoot.

The Imperial week is pretty gruelling and making a cock-up in any of the large number of shoots can ruin your grand in one fell swoop (as I found with a 69 in the Daily Telegraph - the first shoot in the grand! :rolleyes: ) so to do well you have to be a) very good and :blink: very consistent and it was certainly not the easiest of conditions particularly at the start of the week.

Cheers

JohnE (85th in the TR grand!!)

A very respectable finnish in TR well done.

Have to agree the wind was a pig at the begining of the comp blowing a wholly across Century.

A great event non the less.

Cheers

Dave

Archived