Lightforce

Guest rogern

New Lightforce lamp 3 weeks ago and have burnt out 2 cigar lighter sockets (female) so far.

The Lightforce plug is still ok, its my cigar lighter sockets that are no good, I guess its because of the 100 watts going through it.

I have a lead straight from the battery

What do u guys use.

Regards

I use my headlamps when driving home :D;)

Also totally re wired a H/duty socket to the main fusebox feed wire via a 30 amp fuse. :D

Martin

Cheers, any idea where I can get the heavy duty stuff from please.

Roger

The lightforce are indeed too strong for the average cigar lighter to take.

Deben do a fused pigtail adaptor that connects directly to your battery(handy if you`ve got a Landrover with the battery under the seat)and can be left in situ between outings and is about 4 quid.

Deben do a fused pigtail adaptor that connects directly to your battery(handy if you`ve got a Landrover with the battery under the seat)and can be left in situ between outings and is about 4 quid.

You still manage to melt them though ;)

The few Deben connections I've bought tent to be as bad as the Lightforce ones themselves.

I go foxing on foot, have the lamp on continiously and have burnt out all ciggie connections I could get my hands on.

Had enough one night so I cut off the connectors. Infact I cut off the switch too and soldered on an inline dimmer switch unit. I went to a motor store and bought some two core cable. I soldered that onto the end of the dimmer wires, on the far end of the lead I soldered on two eye connectors. I don't use a fuse anymore, their holders just melt on me. I have an 18amp AMA battery, the terminals on it have holes in them so I attach the eyes on the end of the lead to the terminals using little bolts.

This set up will not fail on you if the soldering is done reasonably well.

Lightforce are the best lamp but their connections do let them down, so shoot the middleman and chop'em off ;)

The few Deben connections I've bought tent to be as bad as the Lightforce ones themselves.

I go foxing on foot, have the lamp on continiously and have burnt out all ciggie connections I could get my hands on.

Had enough one night so I cut off the connectors. Infact I cut off the switch too and soldered on an inline dimmer switch unit. I went to a motor store and bought some two core cable. I soldered that onto the end of the dimmer wires, on the far end of the lead I soldered on two eye connectors. I don't use a fuse anymore, their holders just melt on me. I have an 18amp AMA battery, the terminals on it have holes in them so I attach the eyes on the end of the lead to the terminals using little bolts.

This set up will not fail on you if the soldering is done reasonably well.

Lightforce are the best lamp but their connections do let them down, so shoot the middleman and chop'em off ;)

If you go direct from the pigtail to lamp I`ve never had any problems

The troubles start when you start putting connectors/extensions in between which can`t seem to take the strain

The Lightforce 170 and 240 are both fitted with 100 watt bulbs. At 12 volts they draw just over 8 amps of current. This is to high for a fag lighter that is only designed for occasional short term use only not for hours at a time.

What you need is a DIN socket and plug, these are smaller than the fag lighter and do not normally interchange. They are designed to take in the region of 16 or 17 amps all night so do not get hot and certainly do not melt. I have a din socket under the bonnet wired from the battery running a 240 usually but I do use a scope mounted 170 from a fag lighter when taking a shot. Wireing is pretty strightforward, terminals are screw type and a fuse is I think inbuilt into the plug.

DIN sockets & plugs should be available from your local auto electrical vechicle parts wholesaler (like me!).

Here is a link so that you can see what they look like.

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/55

Other than sorting the plug/socket issue I have never had any other problem with my Lampforce lamps, never even blown a bulb.

A

Guest varmartin

A WORD OF WARNING TO ALL.

I have worked in the motor trade for 20+ years, and have witnessed a number of explosions from disconnected crocodile clips, when they have been attached straight to battery terminals.

When a lead acid battery is in a discharged state ie, `being used` some ,not all will give off flammable gasses. this occurs when the cars alternator then starts to recharge the battery. If a croc clip comes off when the lamp is being used a spark could ignite those gasses with disastrous results.

Because of the open cells with liquid electrolyte in most lead-acid batteries, charging voltages will generate oxygen and hydrogen gas by electrolysis of water, forming an explosive mix.

Just a `heads up ` hope it never happens...just be aware.

Martin

WSM Hi, as well as the other suggestions, I'd like to look at the jobby u said about.

Any chance of a link to the pigtail adaptors only I cant find anything on the net.

Regards

Get yourselves along to you nearest Caravan and Camping centre. There are loads of different solutions to your problems and they will have them all. As their main stream customers are using a battery power supply for numerous appliances and applications.

Aly's solution is the best option by far. IMO ;)

A WORD OF WARNING TO ALL.

I have worked in the motor trade for 20+ years, and have witnessed a number of explosions from disconnected crocodile clips, when they have been attached straight to battery terminals.

When a lead acid battery is in a discharged state ie, `being used` some ,not all will give off flammable gasses. this occurs when the cars alternator then starts to recharge the battery. If a croc clip comes off when the lamp is being used a spark could ignite those gasses with disastrous results.

Because of the open cells with liquid electrolyte in most lead-acid batteries, charging voltages will generate oxygen and hydrogen gas by electrolysis of water, forming an explosive mix.

Just a `heads up ` hope it never happens...just be aware.

Martin

I sell batteries for a living and see exploded batteries on a reasonably regular basis, this is caused by a loose terminal (usually posative) igniting the gases given off when under load and recharge. The battery posative end cell is usually blown to hell, that was full of acid.

What Martin is saying is correct, please be safe and fit a proper plug and socket. Cost is minimal.

A

• 3 weeks later...

I also use the DIN sockets and plugs, able to cope with a lot more current and also lock in place when connected, unlike cig plugs which tend to pull out easily, (poor connections create resistance = heat!)

I love the lightforce lamps, but the wiring has always let them down, I've rewired both my lamps with 17.5 amp two core cable and deben dimmer switches, also wired DIN sockets into my vehicles.

I use blade fuse holders instead of glass fuse holders also, never had a problem with these melting.

Cable

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/67

Fuse holders

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/298

Dimmer switch, expensive but well worth it, dont use filters anymore!

http://www.deben.com/lights_lamping/lightf...mmer_switch.php

Alycidon has already posted a link for the DIN connectors, but Maypole (Towing equipment) also make them, and sell a plug and a socket as a kit which is a bit cheaper, product code is MP947

http://www.maypole.ltd.uk/4.pdf

If you have a Lucas (LSUK) outlet near you, they will stock all of this stuff, except for dimmer switch.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jinks.

Archived