Cutting a heavy barrel remmy down to 20"

Hi all, i have been considering chopping my heavy barrel .243 rem down to 20", i have already chopped it to from 26"- 23" but it still handles like a dog when it has its predator 8 attached and plenty long enough.

What are your thoughts on velocity/ accuracy with such a chop ? Thanks in advance DF

Cant see a massive problem I have a 22 inch barrel Ackley .243 and it is shooting 95 grain at 3200fps (2159 ftlbs)no pressure signs so I would imagine you would beable to acheive 3000 (1898ftlbs) with a 20 inch .243. NB I am using the same powder load I did with the standard .243 which is 42 grains of 160. All you need to acheive with 95 grain heads is 2840 fps to get 1700ftlbs

Dave

20 inch barrel chop would be fine, however it may be "better" to lose the heavy can and go lighter.

The moderator is the root cause of the problem......

hi

i,ve got a remmy 243 with heavy barrel finished at 20 inches and its great. i guess the shorter the stiffer for accuracy,just need to get the best velocity out of heavier bullets though.its well balanced with a mod but does have a heavy stock which helps. i got fed up when its on a sling on my shoulder continually slipping backwards

matt

20 inch barrel chop would be fine, however it may be "better" to lose the heavy can and go lighter.

The moderator is the root cause of the problem....

Thanks for the replies lads

Ronin , what mod would you recommend i would prefer the o/b type but open to any suggestions ?

Mash, what stock have you got ?, mine is std but it feels a tad light at the back end especialy with the can was thinking of trying to get some weight into it, a mate did a good job of his he injected silicone sealant into it handles a lot better now . thanks DF

Hi double four,

I chopped my 22-250 AI down to 20 inches for just the same reason.

Now when fitted with my Predator 8 its much more handy.

However my favourite load which used to average about 3800fps from a 26" barrel is down to just over 3400fps but i put a small amount of that velocity loss down to the use of coated bullets as well.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its back , shortened to 20" with a match crown .

Decided on a pred 8 compact after trying various mods, the ballance and handling has been transformed making it a tidy compact rifle.

Had a few shots with it today with some ammo i wanted to use up, some home loaded 70gn hollow points and some remi factory pemium 75gn varmint .

Used the 70s to re zero cooled it off cleaned it put a 4 shot group of 75s through, first 1" left the other 3 a raggy touching group.

Well chuffed with the result especially the rem varmints ( cant remember them being that good before ) in all a worth while excersize, have some shotgun ammo to test shortly so will get the chrono out and see what the damage is 3" shorter. DF

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Scotland Rifles
Well its back , shortened to 20" with a match crown .

Decided on a pred 8 compact after trying various mods, the ballance and handling has been transformed making it a tidy compact rifle.

Had a few shots with it today with some ammo i wanted to use up, some home loaded 70gn hollow points and some remi factory pemium 75gn varmint .

Used the 70s to re zero cooled it off cleaned it put a 4 shot group of 75s through, first 1" left the other 3 a raggy touching group.

Well chuffed with the result especially the rem varmints ( cant remember them being that good before ) in all a worth while excersize, have some shotgun ammo to test shortly so will get the chrono out and see what the damage is 3" shorter. DF

nice one bud,

i run a 20" 243 and a 20" .20 tactical, both work well and the 20 tac is the most used rifle in the cabinet and is so handy in the truck.

bob.

Archived