How much will a change of bullit head effect grouping

qik1

I have got my Sako 75 .308 24" barrel shooing 1/2" @100m with 46gr of varget and 155gr AMax heads, 20thou off the lands.

Now I have different heads to try, Scenar 155gr HPBT, Hornaday SST 150gr and Nosler 150gr spitzer.

Will a good starting out load be the same as for the AMax above or must I go back again and start over from a milder load??

Guess its fun to try other heads but your on a winner at the moment,covers a multitude of uses!!

If your gonna have a go I would say stay off the lands the same for each head and work up otherwise you may miss a sweet spot and reject a bullet for the wrong reason.

46 of Varget is probably safe but probably not the best start point?? 44 perhaps???Take care.

I have got my Sako 75 .308 24" barrel shooing 1/2" @100m with 46gr of varget and 155gr AMax heads, 20thou off the lands.

Now I have different heads to try, Scenar 155gr HPBT, Hornaday SST 150gr and Nosler 150gr spitzer.

Will a good starting out load be the same as for the AMax above or must I go back again and start over from a milder load??

150gr SST with Varget 35.9MIN to 44.9MAX from the hornady manual

150gr Spitzer with Varget 44.5MIN (most accurate load) to 48.5MAX from the nosler manual

Mark

Thanks lads for your replies.

I'll go with onehole's advice of staying 20thou off the lands and start over @44gr of varget (oh so hard to get).

The other sweet spot with the varget was 44.8gr but not quite as tight as with 46gr.

Also will Vit n140 give about the same results?? Much easy'er to get hold of than the varget.

Vhit 140, 44gr to 47gr range with a 150/155 head is very popular, and a accurate load is easily found within this range, also try SAMMI length you may be supprised, but generally no closer than 20thou unless on the berger heads

Ian

Archived