Actually it doesn't, it blows, and it would appear to me that it blows from opposite directions at the same time!

Anyway another great weekend shooting the UK F class League. Saturday proved to be difficult for most, apart from a select few which includes FTR guys .

I managed to maintain average consistency, shooting a 66.3 at 800 yards and a 63.1 at 1000 yards, this I believe put me half way up or half way down table depending on how you look at it.

On Sunday I had a very good 800 yards, shooting 49.5 out of a possible 50.10, I dropped my 9th shot. It's funny I should have been over the moon with that score, and at the start of the day I would have gladly accepted it but if I had held that 9th shot in I would have tied for first place.

I felt quite confident going back to 1000 yards, a mistake I will not make again. I was on target 1 and paired with a guy that I hadn't seen in my previous two F class meets. He introduced himself as Glen and I introduced my self as Ian which seemed like the sensible thing to do, as it is my name, he then asked me what I was shooting so I told him and then threw the questions back at him, he said he was using a 22BR, that's when the penny dropped, who else could it be called Glen, shooting a 22BR at stupid distances other than Trigger from this site, small world.

Glen gave me a good run for my money at 1000 yards, and when I realised it was getting quite close I stopped peeing about, took my self out the 3 ring and scored some quite magnificent 4's which then opened a quite commanding lead of a point, Glen couldn't come back from this mauling and I came out as the gracious winner, although the cart wheels across the firing point did get a few looks.

Glen, sorry I didn't get to say goodbye, but it was a pleasure talking to you.

Oh and if anyone is interested I totally bombed the 1000 yards shooting a 59.1, the wind looked easy and I guess for some it was, I think I just failed to notice the drop offs. Stupid bloody wind.

It really is a pity we cannot shoot in a 1000 yd hanger, ahh well..

You know how I feel about Blair now :rolleyes:

At least the barrel isnt bent or burnt out :rolleyes:

See ya in July

Ian,

Sorry we didn't get to say 'hello' at Diggle - maybe next time.

The only good thing about the wind at Diggle - it gives no advantage to a home shooter. I've shot there for 20 years and it's still a mystery!

Guys like Russell Simmonds are amazing wind-readers - finishing second overall with a 308!!! Beating every Open shooter except for Grant Taylor.

Glen's score might not seem to be anything to shout about - until you find out he was shooting a 22BR - fantastic!

Cheers

Vince

Vince I will make a point of saying hello next time, but you always look busy doing your RO duties, unfortunately I can't make Diggle until next year now.

Andy, I did feel for you at Blair, both myself and Helen moved away thinking the consoling words better luck next time wouldn't go down to well. I now know how you felt.

I have certainly learnt the importance of having first round accuracy. I have looked back over my plotting chart and spotted what I think was my error. On my first shot at 1000 I went 1 1/4 MOA to the left, I then added 1 MOA to the right for my second sighter but didn't notice the wind drop, or at least the flag didn't appear to indicate it ( I think the angle of the wind changed but the flag looked to be the same to me ) so I'm now shooting 1 MOA to the left, and so begins the shooting equivalent to ping pong.

On shot number six I had had enough and decided to aim straight at the V bull and use the shot as a sighter and start again.

I watched Grant shoot for most of the weekend, he really is Mr consistency as well as being extremely helpful, as for Russell, imagine what he would do using a open class rifle!

:blush:

Have to say it was quite diheartening to make a cock up of the last shoot at Blair.

No doubt it will happen again along the leaning curve.

If we all could read the wind as well as the top lads, the comp would be pretty dull wouldnt it :wacko:

Archived