what to do to improve public perception of shooting?

bluebell

Despite what many of us think...when you sign the part of the application regarding your doctor, and your records....it doesn,t mean a damn thing.

The police can only "invite" the doctor to comment on someone who the police have reservations about. ( out of 10 doctors will not comment]. I havent made that up....it came from a conversation i had with our force last friday.

This is the area of law that must be changed.

Baldie, I am sure you are pretty spot on, I am very sure the police have never contacted my Doc (who is very pro shooting as it goes) as I am sure he would have mentioned it!

Whoowhoop, As I said in my post that mental health assessment is subjective; it has to be as there are typically far fewer physical changes to the person compared to many other diseases. How you may react to a situation such as a loved on passing away, or loosing a large amount of money may well be very different to how I would react for example.

However, if a person is ill and this could affect their ownership of firearms and their doctor is made aware then should there not be a mechanism whereby the doctor contact the FLO and suggest a visit?

I am not talking about someone feeling a bit miserable because his wife has run of with her dance instructor, but someone who presents with acute depression, acute anxiety, mania, paranoia, bipolar, psychosis , illicit drug use, alcoholism etc – surely this should be a trigger?

By the same token, if we break criminal laws this may trigger an investigation and action by the FLO . Not if I get caught doing 60 in a 50 mph limit, or picking up the odd parking ticket of course, but if I get into a scrap, or threaten someone it’s a different matter.

At the moment the signing of the rights for the police an contact your GP only applies to Sec 1 , maybe there will be pressure for this to apply to Sec 2 as I have said, would this be a hardship to you or me?

However, going back to the point of the original post, would a greater involvement of GP's etc make any difference as far as the public are concerned? I do not think the public are aware of the hoops we have to jump through to get a SGC of FAC, nor do I think they realise how easy it is for those certificates to be revoked!

I would love to hear your thoughts on what could be done to help, after all this is likely to be a very hot topic over the next few months, and it is important that we gather as much feedback form shooters as possible.

My regards to all

David

Going back to a previous post the guy is absolutely spot on 99.999% of us are as good as it gets and that is the point we must endeavour to get over to the general public with the help of our own conduct and our "supporting" bodies.

I have to say that having just reread some of this thread it made me wonder - all of our legal system is based on the principle of 'innocent till proven guilty'. To remove someones FAC on the basis that there is a small possibility that they may use it incorrectly (especially if that is based on extrapolation and guess work rather than measurable fact) to my mind goes against this.

Yes it is partly me playing devils advocate but on the basis that is being discussed we should lock away all young men between 13 and 30 who live on sink estates because they may be involved in drugs....

Just a thought - 1984 here we come....

I have to say that having just reread some of this thread it made me wonder - all of our legal system is based on the principle of 'innocent till proven guilty'. To remove someones FAC on the basis that there is a small possibility that they may use it incorrectly (especially if that is based on extrapolation and guess work rather than measurable fact) to my mind goes against this.

Yes it is partly me playing devils advocate but on the basis that is being discussed we should lock away all young men between 13 and 30 who live on sink estates because they may be involved in drugs....

Just a thought - 1984 here we come....

I agree. Seems to me too many of us are willing to play the same game as the antis, and go along with the notion that wishing to own guns is inherently dodgy and we should all be watched like a hawk... I trust most doctors to prescribe a pill, or splint a busted leg maybe, but not much farther than that. My brother died in a NHS hospital after two GPs failed to diagnose his condition, then they dithered about internal investigation 'til it was too late. Doctors see no further through a brick wall than most people - they're not superhuman, and many of them are very silly. Just look at the pronouncements by the BMA. Have them rule on my suitability to own a gun? You're kidding.

TonyH

Tony, I am so sorry to hear about your brother.

OK I accept, and indeed posted , that I am not too sure how much the medical records availability will do for public perception, so I guess we are back to concentrating on some of the original points.

Should clay grounds and airgun clubs and rifle clubs do more to get involved in the National Shooting Week developed by the British Shooting Sports Council and promoted by the CA, BASC, CPSA et al?

I think the NSW is a great idea, but think the promotion should be wider, i.e. not just on the association web sites and in the shooting mags, but in local / regional newspapers too, get the message out to the widest possible audience, for people to go and try shooting.

Also, why just a week long? Let’s make it more frequent, maybe four times a year for example.

Not only could this bring more people into the sport, it will also show thousands and thousands of people how shooting is safe and well run.

David

I agree David, at the moment I think they are only reaching people who are on the fringes of the shooting circle.

Wider publicity would be great, as would a wider range of venues. As an aside I have been wanting to shoot running boar at Bisley for ages but I am told that it is so heavily booked that the club I shoot with dosent stand a chance of getting a go. So there is probably also an oportunity for some cross over between disciplines & clubs too. What about some of the military ranges there are a lot of people who would be interested to see things like the village up at sennybridge and that is right next to F range with its fun reactive targets.

Yes, very good point, more interaction between clubs and disciplines would be of great help I agree.

My other sport is karate- my chief instructor is very pro active, he contacts other senior instructors of other martial arts clubs and they come over to us to run workshops showing their style etc - its great fun to see the similarities and differences in technique and style, especially kumite (fighting) styles - and you pick up all sorts of tips you can use yourself - well I do anyway ‘cos I love kumite! :ph34r:

Once things have calmed down a bit I will have a chat with Rob Gray at the CA and our other contacts on the BSSC about expanding the promotion of the NSW next year or even later this year if its prudent so to do without seeming crass, I will let others decide on that one

David

Yes, very good point, more interaction between clubs and disciplines would be of great help I agree.

My other sport is karate- my chief instructor is very pro active, he contacts other senior instructors of other martial arts clubs and they come over to us to run workshops showing their style etc - its great fun to see the similarities and differences in technique and style, especially kumite (fighting) styles - and you pick up all sorts of tips you can use yourself - well I do anyway ‘cos I love kumite! :lol:

Once things have calmed down a bit I will have a chat with Rob Gray at the CA and our other contacts on the BSSC about expanding the promotion of the NSW next year or even later this year if its prudent so to do without seeming crass, I will let others decide on that one

David

Bravo David !

I think we'll re name you Mr Shooting

Wabbit

Archived