Quality knife

Hi guys I would like some advice on buying a knife.

I'm off to the Midland on the weekend and would like to get a quality knife suitable for deer stalking.

Have any of you guys got any recomendations of ones to look for or any hints tips or links to sites for me to have a look at before I go.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

Its a difficult one because a knife is such a personal choice.

Buck Alpha

Browning Signature

Cold Steel Master Hunter

Gerber

Frosts Clipper

I have all the above, the one I use most is the Browning, if you at the midland drop by, I will bring them along for a looksie if you like. :(

Kal

Hi Dave,

Those Hague knives are very nice, If you haven't seen them before you should have a look at Rory Conners collection on www.knives.com . Rory is base in Co.Cork, he has made a few knives for me in the past and I'm very happy with them.

He like the better knife makers will make pretty much whatever you want. He is usually fairly busy, but if it is something that you were not in a hurry for then its well worth the wait.

IMG_0029.jpg

This is my stalking knife with African blackwood handle.

IMG_0023.jpg

This one I just wanted not very practical. These pics look a little better when blown up.

Dave ;);)

Guest 308Panther

I have an older Browning Knife....Its been with me for at least 8 years now.

Couldnt tell you the model...the only marks on the blade is... Browning U.S.A

The blade is 4 inches long....The tang and butt of the handle are brass,and the

handle is I believe to be Rose Wood.

I have had to only sharpen it a handful of times....This thing holds an edge better than a

Jew can hang onto a Dollar.

I have done at least 6 deer,4 Turkey,countless Squirrels,Pheasants,Doves,Rabbits,

Geese,Ducks with it.....

I have no idea how old it is.I discovered it when I was clearing out a deceased

relatives estate...

If the new Brownings are made to the same quality as this one is...You are not

gonna find a much better made knive...

308Panther

• 1 month later...

Hi folks I kind of forgot to update you on the knife front after my visit to the Midland game fair.

Vim thanks for reminding me :)

Well I had a good look around the craft tent which had a custom knife section. I was a bit suprised at the cost of some of these beautiful knives :lol: I kind of wanted something more practical rather than something to look at.

Well in the tent I came across a young chap called Phillip Siddell who is a joiner by trade but makes knives and sheaths in his spare time. I was impressed with his selection of knives and I fancied the knife below.

DSCF0271.jpg

It is called his Companion knife.This has stocks made from a wood called wenge and they had red liners. He uses 01 carbon steel which he recons holds a better edge than stainless but does need a bit more looking after, if it's anything like my old Opinel it sure does hold a good edge.

We did a bit of haggling and agreed on a price.

I will let you know how it performs if I manage to have a sucsesful days stalking next week in Bodmin.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Chris, I love the knife and it feels good to handle. It seemed one of the more practical knives, some there the price was frightening and you would worry about loosing knives like that.

There's something special about the warmth of wood over the synthetics :)

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Chris, I love the knife and it feels good to handle. It seemed one of the more practical knives, some there the price was frightening and you would worry about loosing knives like that.

There's something special about the warmth of wood over the synthetics :)

Cheers

Dave

Actually Dave you not wrong there. Nice tool mate.

Archived