UKV Challenge Shoot 2010 Sunday 11th

UKV Challenge Shoot 2010 Sunday 11th

The write up Part Two

Well it was an early start for me as I was camping in the front garden, and the local wildlife were up and about, pigeons cooing and pheasants calling, so looking out from my tent the weather was looking good.

I was up and about and taking a look at the countryside with my bins, and just enjoying the morning.

We had arranged for people to arrive from around 8am, Matt was the first to arrive with Ian & Jill, and then john, Graham was up and about so we went over to the benches in the front garden for some introductions and general chat.

Grant & Jan, Ian & Phil then turned up, so we had a good number of people for our 2nd UKV annual meet.

There was a good selection of different calibers, .222, 22-250,243,308,300win mag, and then the makes of rifles………

Everyone was eager to see the layout of the course, and when Graham brought the straw bale round, you could people’s faces change………

The 100 yard target was a rabbit in colour and there is a small circle drawn on the back of its head where the brain would be and it is 5 points in the circle or breaking the line and then 2 points if the shot was in the head area, but no points for piercing the rabbit’s ears.

Then at 200 yards there is a 5” Gong, but it was new and Ian wasn’t sure how it would hold up, so time for a test, Grant got ready with his .308 and fired two shots, it held up so was looking good.

Glen and Alan arrived and after a quick brief it was their turn for the 100 yard bunny, and then we would move on to the 200 yard target.

So now for the 200 yard gong, and Glen took up position with his .308, at his shot the gong flew off, a 155grain killed it, so some farming know how and a welder and it was repaired so we continued, the gong lasted for a few rounds and then when Ian took his 3rd shot it broke at a different spot, so back to the welder and round two. It held up to finish the 200 yard course, so time for lunch and a chat.

Then it was off to the 300-400 and the undisclosed gong, now this was going to be good as we were putting the 5” gong at 300 yards, the 10”gong at 400 and a 12” gong at over 500 yards.

Once everyone was at the benches, Graham and I went off to set out the gongs, and while we put out the undisclosed gong we had a quick look to see if the magpie was there, but no feathers or carcass…

So back up to the FP and time to get down to business (didn’t make a note of the order of the shooters, so another point for next years meeting)

We all had five shots at the 300 & 400 gongs and each hit would earn us a point, the wind was blowing left to right and was ranging from 10-12 mph, but then it would drop right off for a few seconds, so had to wait for it to pick up.

This is where the people who had scopes they could dial in with or had mil-dots had a bit of an edge.

The sound of the hits were clear on all gongs the 5” gong had a lovely sound to it and I must say I am most impressed with the one my dad made for me, a very resounding whack when struck. The frame took a few hits but hey that can be repaired.

After everyone had finished Graham & myself went down and put the gongs at 530 yards for some fun, and to give other people a chance at shooting some different calibers at long range, and to learn about dialing in for bullet drop & windage.

While we were taking it in turns a crow landed at just over 300 yards away, so we all said to Graham to take him, he grabbed his .308, and settled down for the shot, Duey ranged it had 310 yards, and Graham took the shot, the bullet hit the crow smack on, a UKV member in the 300 yard club with 10 eyewitnesses….can’t ask for better than that.

Sirslotsalot had two shots at some crows, the one was slightly down hill and the bullet struck just over it’s head, while the 2nd one was hit, it took off and tried to gain height then fell back to earth.

After a while we spotted some crows at over 800 yards away, the ground was safe so Trigger2 (Glen) was given the go ahead to have a crack, the 1st one was 900+ and the wind had picked up and the bullet strike was just to the right….then a few minutes later another crow was spotted and over 800, again Glen was ready, and the bullet strike was just to the right and took a tail feather off the crow.

The weather had been good to us, the company fantastic and I’m sure we all learnt something new, along with new friendships face to face.

Our thanks go out to Graham & family for hosting this event along with the help and guidance of Warwickshire police force for common sense, and to all of you that made the effort to make this an annual event, 2011 is in the planning stages as Easter is later on in the April.

Here are the results and pictures…….

1st 38 pts John. (Jma Rem) 700 .308 Aics built by our baldie.

2nd 35 pts Alan ( Sir slotsalot). Tikka 22 -250 Tikka 590.

3rd 34 pts Glen (Trigger 2) RPA .308 tight neck.

4th 30 pts Kip270. Tikka 595 de-luxe .222

5th 25 pts. Duey (Ian) Rem 700 .308 , Rem VSF 22 - 250 , 300 Win Mag HS Precision.

6th Phil 23 pts Tikka T3 .223 Rem

7th Grant (Streeker59)21 pts, Sako 75 .308 win

8th matt (Mash67)20 pts, Rem 700 Aics .243 Win.

9th Graham (Grahamfarmer)16 pts, Rem 700 PSS .308 win

10th Ian (Vermincinerator) 11 pts, Stiller actioned 22 - 250 Ack Imp

11th Jan (bluebell) 3 pts, TRG .308 Win.

What a great write up, and superb pictures....thanks Kip, really enjoyed that.

You guys looked to have had a brilliant day...i will definatly be making it myself next year.

Excellent write up and photos Kip,

Thank you to all the organisers of this event it was a fantastic day, a special thank you to Graham for been kind enough to host the event.

A big thank you to everyone that made the effort to attend,..... What a great bunch of people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lastly a big thank you to Baldie & SYSS for building me a superb rifle.

best regards

Jma

Archived