New Toy has arrived

Well I have finally managed to get the 20 practical out and running. I am only at the load development stage but I thought I would have a bit of fun with what was left of the zeroing ammo I made up. I am pretty sure that the magpie didnt appreciate it. Still here are a few photos of the new peice of kit and a shot of the unfortunate, no pun intended.

DSC01207.jpg

DSC01208.jpg

Rifle1.jpg

Distance.jpg

1stvictim.jpg

The range wasnt spectacular but 200 yards for it first use in anger I am quite happy. It loves those blitz kings. One of the photos is looking back upto the car its not very good you might just be able to see it.

I must just say a thank you to both Dasherman for his excellent work and my good friend Vermincinerator who bedded the action and put on the new bolt knob. He also finished the stock for me. Again his work is excellent. Its a lovely rifle to shoot and it would seem that it does shoot better than me anyway lol.

Just so you know what it is; its a CZ527 changed to a single shot, 1 in 11 twist pacnor chrome moly super match barrel, it has a aftermarket trigger but I buggered if any of us could figure out which one, pillar bedded in a richards microfit stock, true oil finish, PTG tactical bolt knob and a brugger and thonet moderator (Very Effective). Scope is a swarovski Z6 3-18x50 with that terrible ballistic turret lol.

It is a light setup until you put the moderator on lol.

Nice easy to form cases and the recoil is so light you can see the bullet impact, its great.

I will put some load data up when I get finished with that job.

Thats real nice Alled.

Cant tell properly from the pic, but i would bet money the trigger is a rifle basix. I,ll bet the trigger doesn,t have the "set" function anymore ? If not...its an RB.

That also looks like a wildcat thumbhole. Very clever design of stock....it,s seems to fit most people.

Are the wallis and grommet mods good ?

Baldie the trigger isnt a set type. Further discussions with Ian we think it might have been a factory job but there was a lot of adjustment screws and it now breaks cleanly at about 2lbs, so we couldnt be sure, Ian would be able to tell you what we thought it was but I cant for the life of me remember the name he said. The other CZ527 donor I have waiting has a rifle basix unit this one doesnt look like it. I will take the stock of and put some photos up of the trigger when I have a minute.

It is a wildcat thumbhole, It seems to fit me quite nicely. I would say that for me to be comfortable i rest my cheek on the back rise in cheek peice if you see what I am saying. I wouldnt import another one pre inlet, I have there mote carlo one in electric blue on the way for my next project but it is not inlet. It was a bugger to do as the inlet was slightly off. Ian worked his magic and we got her in and it looks superb now.

The brugger thonet is excellent for sound attenuation, it sounds a bit like an unmoderated .22 sub sonic when fired. No barrel flip at all you can keep the site picture on the target and see the impact, exactly what I had in mind. The one downisde of the BT mod is the wieght, it comes in at about 900 grams, 2lbs in old money and it noticeably upsets the balance of the rifle. But it will do for the time being untill I can afford something different. Without the mod on it is a deceptively light rifle, I would say around 6lbs. You could sling it and walk all day even with the hefty mod on.

20 Tac I think it took 12 weeks for the inletted stock to come through, cost me about £150 including browns bit, very good value and they are very nice people to deal with. However this time the stock is unilet which i think is better. For an unilet one you are looking at about 8 weeks. They are rough when they arrived but with some tlc and alot of sand paper they turn out really nice. I am sure vermincinerator will fill you in on all the detials, I was a bystander for most of it lol.

Once I have finished all my rifles some time next year the actions and barrels are all going to be duracoated, 5 in all cant decide on colours and I would like to have a look at how they come out when dried and finished. I think a matt black of some description. Perhaps Baldie you may be able to help with that one, are you doing this kind of work at the moment? I like my rifles to look mean not prisey and I think a mat black on the barrel and action will ofset against the stock nicely. I will also need a basix unit for my M77/44 at some point over the next few months.

All in all really pleased with what was a cheap donor rifle £130 for the barrelled action. Just shows you dont need to buy expensive actions to get great shooting rifles. I just have to finish the load development now what a chore lol. I would, having shot this one recommend the CZ actions to anyone who cared to listen.

Thanks for looking lads I am sorry I couldnt make the shoot this year but I promise I will get my arse down there with all my rifles next year.

Thanks for that Alled, that was very interesting.

I had an electric blue laminate on a cz 527 hornet a few years ago, and it was lovely, but they do require some work.

Duracoating.

Yes, i am now fully operational in a purpose built paint shop, and have approximatly 75% of all duracoat colours in stock.

We were originally only painting our own built weapons, but have recently been taking trade work from several well know trade rifle builders/military etc, so i decided to take in all work in the future. I enjoy it, and have a background in vehicle muralled airbrush work anyway, so painting rifles is hardly testing.

Your trigger is now bugging me ... ;)

The rb unit for the m77 is one of the best triggers they make. They absolutely transform the guns.

Baldie

Thanks for the info on the duracoat, when I get back from the middle east I will come and see you and take a look at the colours and see how they turn out. I will also colelct that trigger. I may have to have the rifles done in two batches. Any chance you could pm with the price per rifle, I will probably have three initially, its only the barrel and actions mate not the stocks or scopes. I will get Ian to stick the name of the trigger up for you.

Regarding the trigger i thought it might be a Kepplinger but cant be sure, it is 3 point adjustable for engagment, take-up and overtravel.

The stock finished up really well with half a dozen coats of tru-oil knocked back between coats with 0000 steel wool and finally rubbed with stock sheen and conditioner.

The inlet however left a lot to be desired not only had the action screw holes been drilled an eighth of an inch off centre but both the bottom metal inlet and the action inlet were slanted slightly front end to one side, the action to the right and the bottom metal to the left.

The barrel channel also had to be deepened to allow the the action to seat into its correct position.

I said to Alled that if he wants me to do another one to get it uninletted and i would do it myself ensuring everything came out straight and centralised.

Ian.

Its a lot easier to start from scratch Ian, than to correct the banjo playing backwood bubba,s cock-up,s. :D

Kepplinger. Hmmm. About the only people, i would guess that make a trigger for it, other than Rifle Basix. They are reputed to be truly excellent triggers.

Lovely rifle.

All I can say is that it is some trigger, it really does break nicely, really suits the rifle it has become. I really like this rifle looking forward to getting on with the 2nd one.

Archived