Steel for gong

Hi all,

I'm wanting to make a gong for long range practice,

I was thinking about 6" diameter but what thickness would

you recommend?

I will be using 6.5x55,6mmbr and 22/250.

Thanks

BB

If you want it to last, its no use using any old steel, especially not mild steel. It needs to be extra hard, the sort used for things like Armour ect.

Below is a pic off another forum showing a 1/" mild steel plate after about 20 rounds of .223Rem

4625.jpg

AR500 is one type that would be suitable, but various makers will have some thing similar. Generally people use either 1/2" or some times 5/8"..Some use 3/8" but that 22/250 is likely to damage it if you're not careful.

I've been told that the scrap pads off the track of a D10 or similar is hard enough to do the trick, but I've not tried them myself...

If you want it to last, its no use using any old steel, especially not mild steel. It needs to be extra hard, the sort used for things like Armour ect.

Below is a pic off another forum showing a 1/" mild steel plate after about 20 rounds of .223Rem

4625.jpg

AR500 is one type that would be suitable, but various makers will have some thing similar. Generally people use either 1/2" or some times 5/8"..Some use 3/8" but that 22/250 is likely to damage it if you're not careful.

I've been told that the scrap pads off the track of a D10 or similar is hard enough to do the trick, but I've not tried them myself...

Thank's for the reply Pete,

I'll have to find some AR500 nearby

Thank's again

BB

Archived