best balance-beam scales?

TonyH

Have a yen for some top scales, used RCBS 5-0-2 (?) for years and OK but got a little sticky, also took ages to settle. Might the Redding be the dog's whotsits? Seems to cost £80 - £90. I like Redding stuff. All opinions welcome.

Thanks, TonyH

Have a yen for some top scales, used RCBS 5-0-2 (?) for years and OK but got a little sticky, also took ages to settle. Might the Redding be the dog's whotsits? Seems to cost £80 - £90. I like Redding stuff. All opinions welcome.

Thanks, TonyH

RCBS 10-10 or the Ohaus equivalent (same scales different colour) are as far as I'm aware the best of the beam scales about

Mark

Thanks guys. I've been looking around and AFAICS the UK Ohaus distributor doesn't handle the reloading type scales - it would seem to make sense to get a scale direct from the manufacturer rather than one rebadged by e.g. RCBS. Not planning any US trips anytime soon either, sigh... Dealers are asking nearly £160 for that RCBS 10-10 which seems excessive. Might just get another 5-0-2 or the similar (not sure in what way) the 5-0-5 - mine served me for twenty years or so before getting sticky & erratic.

Ohaus Dial-a-Grain is argaubly the best beam balance scale available but alas its no longer in production, however the not as good dial-a gram is if you dont mind converting gram to grains.

second hand examples of the dial a grain come up for sale every now and then on ebay.com in the USA but always reach a premium price.

Ian.

I use the reading ones never used others so cant compare. The redding ones are easy to use and seam to settle quickly.

Dave

That's the Redding #2 Master? Have you always found it accurate and consistent? I like Redding kit, mostly use their dies, but I gather the Redding scale uses a different bearing system from most other scales.

TonyH

Ohaus Dial-a-Grain is argaubly the best beam balance scale available but alas its no longer in production, however the not as good dial-a gram is if you dont mind converting gram to grains.

second hand examples of the dial a grain come up for sale every now and then on ebay.com in the USA but always reach a premium price.

Ian.

If you have an Ohaus, where did you get it? Just curious.

Thanks, TonyH

Tony. A local gunshop had two like-new RCBS 10-10 scales in a few weeks back at $40US each. If you get really stymied and are willing to pay the freight, I'd be willing to pick one up for you. (If they are still there) I'm off for the City on Saturday. Let me know.~Andrew

Tony. A local gunshop had two like-new RCBS 10-10 scales in a few weeks back at $40US each. If you get really stymied and are willing to pay the freight, I'd be willing to pick one up for you. (If they are still there) I'm off for the City on Saturday. Let me know.~Andrew

Andrew, I sent you a PM about this.

TonyH

Thats a major bargain

If youre buying a set for Tony I'd gladly take the other set and spilt the shipping with him :)

Payment by paypal as a gift

Mark

Got your PM's , all. If they are there on Saturday, I'll get them and contact you. You can send the $$ to my cousin in Scotland and I'll collect from him when I show up this spring.~Andrew

Sounds perfect! Get both if you can, and I'll pass one to Mark. Thanks very much.

TonyH

No problem. I often feel bad for you guys being so far away from the source. Such items are usually really inexpensive here by comparison. I have a Dial-o-Grain but these 10-10's were in such good shape I almost snatched them up when in there last. Same fellow had a Forrester trimmer for $15. HE gets a lot of used equipment.~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the gunshop that has the 10-10 scales on Saturday and found them closed because they were attending the local gunshow with a good deal of their guns. I went to the Gunshow (a planned stop anyhow) and the found their tables. The owner says he is pretty sure there is one of the 10-10's there but there may be two. I told him to hold it for me and I'd be in to get it. He was fine with that. So next weekend I'll go have a look see.~Andrew

I went to the gunshop that has the 10-10 scales on Saturday and found them closed because they were attending the local gunshow with a good deal of their guns. I went to the Gunshow (a planned stop anyhow) and the found their tables. The owner says he is pretty sure there is one of the 10-10's there but there may be two. I told him to hold it for me and I'd be in to get it. He was fine with that. So next weekend I'll go have a look see.~Andrew

Andrew, thanks for the update. Ah, those US gunshows - I only ever saw one, years ago in Detroit, but it was great, lotsa goodies that made my mouth water. I know the Feds don't like 'em though, especially (I imagine) Obama's administration.

Regards, TonyH

Andrew, thanks for the update. Ah, those US gunshows - I only ever saw one, years ago in Detroit, but it was great, lotsa goodies that made my mouth water. I know the Feds don't like 'em though, especially (I imagine) Obama's administration.

Regards, TonyH

This show was mostly over prices junk but then again, my buddy found a left hand stocked Anschutz 64MS 22LR for $300 out the door so you never know tl you go! We shot it last night with a darned cheapo air-rifle scope and I fired a one-holer at 25 M with Aguila Subs; I mean a single hole. Couldn't buy that rifle now for three times that much!! :D ~Andrew

Archived