To restock or not to restock

I had my .308 75 varminter apart the other day to have a general spring clean.

I could see the pressure points in the walnut stock where the action sits and was pleased at how evenly the bearing marks were.

This got me thinking... Everyday we see pics posted on the forum of a members latest boomstick mounted in a McMillan , Aics, Robertson and so on. The actions are then Devcon & pillar bedded into these expensive stocks and some even have titanium bedding blocks but what are the real benefits ?

My walnut stock has been cut by a computer to "fairly" ( i use the word loosely) tight tolerances. The bearing surfaces are flat and and when the action screws are tightened down the action doesn't move in the stock or so it appears.

So what is the real benefit of clamping my prize 75 into a fancy stock ?

Or have i answered my own question by using the word "clamp" ?

Surely at the end of the day it's the same two screws holding the sandwich together no matter what the filling is ?

My other 75 is sat in a laminate stock. My understanding of that is that the stock wont warp when used in high humidity and changing temperature conditions.

That kinda makes sense and so a replacing my walnut stock for a McMillan say would have the same effect in the same conditions. I once swapped stocks over to see if the laminate would produce tighter groups..... It didn't..

My question is this... Will replacing my walnut stock for a fancy jobby really improve the accuracy of the rifle and by what degree is this likely ?

It will already print sub moa when my ammo and i are doing our bit..

Thanks for your patience guys.. I know it took me awhile to get to the point..

Grant...

Long question, short answer:

What is the accuracy of that rifle now in its present stock?

If its what your happy with, leave it alone.

If its not, try having pillars inserted and bedding.

The stock will effectively become "inert" to changes of temp, humidity and be the similar to a composite, providing action screws are tightened to "uniform" tightness.

One reason for composites can be weight. Laminate is fairly heavy, meaning if you

need a light weight stock inert to weather conditions the only option might be composites.

I finished a remmy 700 stock today that weighs 674grams is made 95% carbon and 5% Kevlar.

Weighed with buttpad, paint and studs.

edi

Archived