Can someone point me in the right direction?

njc110381

Hey guys. I'm looking at load data for the .338 Win Mag. In my Lee book there is a load listed for a bullet and powder combination (can't remember the details off the top of my head) and it's confused me a bit. It's using RL22 and for several bullet weights there is just one charge weight listed!

All the others have start-max but with RL22 it's just ?grns compressed in the start and max columns (which varies between bullet weights, I understand that bit). So... Is that a Max load to be reduced or a "that's the most you can cram into the case and it's well below max pressure"? I don't want to drop it 10% without asking because I know that compressing some powders can change their burn rate. If I drop it to not compressed then I'm thinking it may be a bad thing? I like my face as it is!

I'm reading it as that's the best that powder can offer and there's no need to start lower. Am I right?

I have to say when it comes to load info, I dont look at die makers as a source of loads.

The primary source is the powder maker as they test every batch for burn rate etc, and if they dont know its certain nobody else does.

Second is the bullet manufacturer as again they do regular testing with their bullets and declare the case and primer used.

All the above puts you in a safe and useable area, other stuff is guesswork or someones personal experience in their firearm, which doesnt apply to you and yours.

I have Alliant's load data book and the loads according to bullet make and weight vary from a 56.5gr starter up to a 78gr top load. You can get more info at:- http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

But it isnt as comprhensive as the data book and the start 10% lower is a good maxim.

Redfox

I think I got this book from Aftab at Reloading Solutions Direct in Oxford

I,ve come across this before, and i think its also in the lee book. Its a typing or printing error, and obviously wrong. Dont use that data under any circumstances. Look elsewhere. A good place to start would be snipershide, under "beyond 1000 yards" .The yanks use all the .338 wildcats, just as much as the lap mag, and someone there should be able to point you in the right direction.

Archived