20br

lee w 118

lee- a few here -as always start low and work up.all loads for 40gn bullets

h322 start-28.2 max32.0

varget start-30.2 max34.8

h4895 start-28.4max 33.6

these loads were worked up for a mates rifle you could try v135 v133 as well but dont have the data.several brands of primer were used- federal-cci400-rem71/2 all worked without any pointers to a best one accuracy wise although the cci gave better esp over the chrono .redding dies were used for all loads.

LEE.these velocities were obtained in very cool weather if the same loads wre used in summer i bet you would gain some fps but watch for pressure.

with the loads i gave you these were the results.

h322 -3490-3900 although we did stoke this load up more and at 32.8 and 4100 the primers were loose so we backed off.

varget-3390-3850 the gun didnt perform the best with this powder.

h4895-3380-3950- this powder only got limited use because we didnt have a lot .

overall h322 performed the best so he went with that powder with 40grainers.

let us know how you get on its a fine calibre is 20br atlhough i shoot a .22br there isnt much between them i dont think.good splat factor on bunnies and crows.charlie also gets a fair few as well :rolleyes:

I assume you have a 1 in 11 or so twist for the 40s. I have a 1 in 9 and above 3600 or so they (40gr Vmax) were dire, probably breaking up in flight as they failed to trouble a target backer let alone the target.

I have also used H322 under 40s, 26.0gr is a sweet load and pretty accurate in my rifle with a 27" tube. I have posted some of my work with Berger 50s under the favorite loads section.

Currently I am testing N150 (28.0gr -29.5gr) under both the 40gr Vmax and 39gr SBK. The 39s do group slightly better. Not measured the speed yet but my working load with the 50gr Berger with 29.5gr N150 is doing about 3500 from memory so I expect about 3600 from the same powder load. 28.5gr is looking like the best load accuracy wise so far with the 39gr SBK and 29.0 with the 40gr Vmax. Nothing wrong with the 50s but they tend to drill crows , I am looking for an exploder !!.

Tried BR4s and Fed 205s, BR4s seem a bit better under the lighter bullets, they are certainly able to handle the pressure better if you stoke it up. If you are getting primer pocket expansion then you are also getting web expansion in the case, that will reduce case life significantly. My builder is getting over 80 cycles from a 22.250 case and strongly advocates downloading (and minimal neck sizing) for optimum accuracy and case life. Accuracy not velocity is where its at.

Slower cooler powder should fill the case better and reduce velocity speads a bit, or at least thats my thought. 26 grains in a case holding 35 or so is not really recommended for optimum ES figures but as a working fox slayer it will be just fine. Hotter powder and loads will also reduce barrel life, I am looking for acceptable (.3/.4) accuracy and a velocity over 3300.

I assume one of the custom boys screwed it together for you, did they not work a load up for it?. Sounds a nice rifle, got any pics to show us?

A

hi there alycidon, im havin a 1 in 11 bartliein barrell.its goin to be mated to a bat/picattiny 20 moa action.

single shot/ i have a new AICS black stock. scope is new S&B 12.5x50x56 pm11. mod is a quick silver

20 cal(wen i get it) all work on the rifle is being done by pete walker/ walker rifles. just got to wait till

guns finished. so just askin other 20 br users what they are using at the present time. soon as the gun

gets finished i will post a picture. many thanks LW

I have a 1 in 9 Bartlein in a modified lee six laminated walnut stock from D&B in the states. Vermincinerator has just given it a spectacular Tru Oil finish, looks the buisness now.

1 in 11 should be excellent for the 39-40s, do you have the load info from Todd Kindler's book 'The Terrific Twenties'. He loads pretty hot though so beware. Todd advises that 39/40s run out of steam at about 600 yards, the 50s add another 200 yards but you need a 1 in 9 to stablaise them.

Can't say I use mine at distance, I did shoot a fox with a Berger 50gr at just over 250 yards one night last summer, seemed to take ages for the smack to come back.

Very accurate though.

A

hi there alycidon, im havin a 1 in 11 bartliein barrell.its goin to be mated to a bat/picattiny 20 moa action.

single shot/ i have a new AICS black stock. scope is new S&B 12.5x50x56 pm11. mod is a quick silver

20 cal(wen i get it) all work on the rifle is being done by pete walker/ walker rifles. just got to wait till

guns finished. so just askin other 20 br users what they are using at the present time. soon as the gun

gets finished i will post a picture. many thanks LW

What happened to your 20ppc? Or have you switched to 20br

I assume you have a 1 in 11 or so twist for the 40s. I have a 1 in 9 and above 3600 or so they (40gr Vmax) were dire, probably breaking up in flight as they failed to trouble a target backer let alone the target.

I have also used H322 under 40s, 26.0gr is a sweet load and pretty accurate in my rifle with a 27" tube. I have posted some of my work with Berger 50s under the favorite loads section.

Currently I am testing N150 (28.0gr -29.5gr) under both the 40gr Vmax and 39gr SBK. The 39s do group slightly better. Not measured the speed yet but my working load with the 50gr Berger with 29.5gr N150 is doing about 3500 from memory so I expect about 3600 from the same powder load. 28.5gr is looking like the best load accuracy wise so far with the 39gr SBK and 29.0 with the 40gr Vmax. Nothing wrong with the 50s but they tend to drill crows , I am looking for an exploder !!.

A

You should try the Nosler 40gr - the jacket is much thicker than the 39gr SBK, so you might be able to get them working faster in your 1-9. I use both in my 1-12.

I have a 6mm PPC not a 20PPC and a 20BR. I think that Nick has the only 20PPC on here.

A

I was referring to 'lee w 118' - he was asking for 20ppc load data a while ago - just wondering why he's changed to 20br...

You should try the Nosler 40gr - the jacket is much thicker than the 39gr SBK, so you might be able to get them working faster in your 1-9. I use both in my 1-12.

I have not yet tried the 39s on crows, to cold yet to be out with a rifle for me unless lambs are vanishing. I have noticed that the carcase damage on a fox shot with a 6mm 55gr NBT is less generally than a match bullet and certainly less than a 65gr Vmax. What I am looking for is not so much velocity, I know I can shift the 50 at 3800 (but get large web expansion) but explosive results on targets such as crows. The 50s drill through, sometimes taking its backside off but generally not that spectacular.

When I hit a magpie at distance it usually is in several pieces with a 65gr Vmax. I think that a 39/40 204 bullet at about 3600 should have similar results. The NBT is a good thought velocity wise but I think the terminal results will be little different to the 50gr Berger MEF the rifle has been chambered for.

Food for thought anyway.

A

I was referring to 'lee w 118' - he was asking for 20ppc load data a while ago - just wondering why he's changed to 20br...

Ah I see, personally I think that the BR case is a bit overcapacity for the 39-40s, these are ideal for the PPC case.

A

hi there mate was goin for a 20ppc but changed to a 20br no reason! cheers LEE

Lee

Found some of my data ;

Powder Vit 150 33.40 grains / Hornady 40 grain v-max / Fed match primers 205 .

Case 6mm B/R Lap . / Neck bushed down Trimed to length 1.520 and just a slight neck trim. to even out neck,

seating depth is up to you, mine was just off,

Using Neil Jones custom Products Die set . I sent about 6 fired case's and he made the dies' to match the chamber,

My Barrel was a 26 inch pacnor 3 grove, on RPA action

My charts where done on 4010fps, was good up to 600 yds

THIS WAS MY LOAD SO WORK UP !!

Hope this helps

I am getting cratering with 205s and web expansion at those loads, just mic up the webs after firing, web expansion will cause premature case failure.

Mind you the load is ideal from a case fill point of view. What accuracy and ES do you get?.

A

Archived