>22 Hornet barrel shortening

Does anybody know roughly what velocity reduction you would get by shortening a 22" CZ Hornet barrel to say 18". Currently getting approx 3000fps with Lilgun/40gr V-Max, is there a way of calculating the reduction.I've been told that it should not alter alot because of the low pressure generated by the Lilgun powder?. Thanks Gerald.

Why? ~Andrew

Just making enquiries because the 22" barrel with screw om moderator, which extends the barrel by approx 6" and adds approx 1 1/4 lb in weight, really does unbalance the gun especially when slung over the shoulder. I know you guy's don't use moderators so this will not be a problem you are familiar with. Unfortunately where I shoot a moderator is essential but I don't want to mess the gun up by losing significant veocity or screwing up the accuracy so just wondering if anybody had any experience of this being done. Gerald.

I would think that if you had a CZ American, the addition of a moderator would aid in balance. As much as I like them, the 527's seem a little action heavy to me. Be that as it may, I agree: With Lil Gun you won't lose a huge amount of speed, but you will lose some.~Andrew

PS: I used to envy you guys for being able to use moderators but after reading all the posts concerning them, I'm glad I don't have to. They are legal in my State but when I build one, it's going to be for a .22 I think.

PS: I used to envy you guys for being able to use moderators .. They are legal in my State but when I build one, it's going to be for a .22 I think.

It's always amused me Andrew how you can have full auto and .50 cal toys over there, yet it's a drama to get a suppressor in many states.

My good friend in OK is about to bite the bullet and get one for his rimfire. I offered a while ago to take a spare rimfire one over for him but he didn't have the paperwork and said it wasn't worth the risk of having the Feds/BAFT breathing down his neck..

Chris-NZ

My Hornet was only 18" and I could still shoot bunnies at 250 yards with it. If it did lose velocity I'm sure it wasn't a lot because it killed the Foxes fine too.

I would think that if you had a CZ American, the addition of a moderator would aid in balance. As much as I like them, the 527's seem a little action heavy to me. Be that as it may, I agree: With Lil Gun you won't lose a huge amount of speed, but you will lose some.~Andrew

PS: I used to envy you guys for being able to use moderators but after reading all the posts concerning them, I'm glad I don't have to. They are legal in my State but when I build one, it's going to be for a .22 I think.

When you say all the posts concerning moderators I think you have probably been mislead by the post referring to the review of the Hornet in sporting shooter I am not aware of any problems caused by moderators as far as accuracy is concerned although there are obviously exceptions to the rule. I am merely comparing the handling of my Hornet against my shooting buddies 18" 17HMR CZ with moderator and find it so much better to handle.I find the fitting of a Bipod helps counter balance the rifles action. Gerald.

Chris: Yeah. Many folks including myself wonder at that. My state recently passed a law that states that a Moderator made in this state, to remain in this state, is legal to own. Once it crosses state lines it becomes a Federal matter.

Gerald: I am not referring to 22 Hornet and Moderators, but moderators in general. Rusting, seizing to the threads, inaccuracy after fitting, reproofing... Seems like a large bother. Here of course, we can make as much noise as we want when shooting.~Andrew

Archived