Nice cull buck this morning.

Guest northernchris

The weather was clear and i was up and about early so i went for a wee walk with the Sauer ;) He trotted out 160 yrds from where i was lay.

05092007142.jpg

That one looks to be a bit better than the one i shot,

he looks to be a bit younger as well

nice one

ATB

Colin ;)

Nice one chris ;) ;)

Looks like a very nice cull buck - should make good eating too!!!!

All the very best................

RAY...................... ;) ;)

Guest northernchris

Hi Col

Reakon he is about 3-3 1/2 years old going by his teeth.Did you boil your head out?

Redfox

Munty are Far HARDER than Roe/Fallow to stalk on foot,when do you ever see a munty stood still????????? As Col saw when he was out with me they appear like fairies.As for harder to skin,just do then within a few hours of getting them and they are know different to any other.

They can run after a mortal shot BUT only the same as others,depends if they are geeded up or not when hit.

Should be good eating at the weekend :P

Chris

Hi Col

Reakon he is about 3-3 1/2 years old going by his teeth.Did you boil your head out?

Chris

hi Chris

i have not boiled out the head, as i was in hospital having the end of my finger put back on :D:D:P

i have stalked mutjac a couple of times,and i think they are quite hard to get a shot at, i have taken to whistling them, and they stop. and the i shoot them.

Chris must do the same as he whistled for me on the last one i shot.

ATB

Colin :D

I have shot a lot of muntjac and never found them hard to stalk, they do tend to keep moving I agree.

As for skinning I have tried immediate, wait a while , or wait a day, they still are a lot harder than say a roe to get off without tearing the meat in places.

I like the meat, so long as they havent been browsing on something strong, I think they are probably better than the others to eat.

Redfox

Guest 308Panther

Nice Buck there NC.

I am havin a hard time gettin used to the shape of the head tho...

You guys sure do have a variety of deer to take down.

Is there any folklore connected with them?

They seem to have a certain mystique about them.

308Panther

Guest northernchris

Hi 308

No "mystique" about them they are just small and mobile deer,which is what i ment by being hard to stalk.You could spy 1 500 yrds away in a corner by the time you get around into postion its gone and appears somwhere else thats what i ment about hard to keep in touch with sometimes.

Chris

Yes I will go with that Chris, they seem unable to stay anywhere for more than a few seconds/ sometimes a minute or so, they dont even get on a patch of something they like and stay on it, " the grass is always greener" for them.

The good bit is they will often stand if you whistle or squeak for long enough to get a shot as Col mentioned, whereas roe usually play safe and run anyway. I like Munties both for eating and the stalking. I came on three young bucks once, under small conifers and they were like rugby players in a scrum, all three head to head and pushing and shoving. I waited till one was side on to me ( about85yds) and took a quick shot with the 243 off my elbows ( prone), there was quite a bit of weed etc so I had to get as high as possible but not into the low branches. I squeezed off and all three vanished like smoke! I waited a few minutes then went with my friend ( an Experienced stalker)who was stood well back, to look. He said all three had gone to the right, so we looked and there was a blood trail sure enough ( I had reloaded so didnt see after the shot) anyway there was no more blood trail and he said they had not run back the other way. After 15 mins of looking round and nothing, I said I'm going to look the other way, (particularly as they tend to turn towards the exit wound and the trail did curve a little in that direction) sure enough he was dead about 15 yds to the left and the lung tissue had filled the exit wound stopping the blood trail.

I still remember that shot and it was years ago now, and the little bucks like schoolboys pushing and shoving at playtime. :D:D:P

A nice buck you got there by the way, in good condition from the look of him, nice meal or two there, I, as said, think they cook up better than the others.

Cheers

Redfox

Archived