6.5 x 47 lapua

col48

Right chaps

I'm shooting 6.5 x 47 lapua and I'm running her on 40g N140 with 120 noslers.

and i am using Federal match gm 205

Is there any primers that i should be using ? or are this type all right as i think i read on her something about using a certain type of primer.

ATB

Colin

I think most use CCI BR or CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers. I'm currently using the BR primers but have some magnum primers to test.

Try which ever you have first and if you keep getting the odd flyer switch to the other.

Right chaps

I'm shooting 6.5 x 47 lapua and I'm running her on 40g N140 with 120 noslers.

and i am using Federal match gm 205

Is there any primers that i should be using ? or are this type all right as i think i read on her something about using a certain type of primer.

ATB

Colin

Hi colin,

Mine shot like a dog untill i got some cci450 mag primers??

now it will shot bug holes at 100,,,

And the smallest group at 600 has been 2.225

Best move i ever made, After some advice from Mike Norris,,, (Top man)

ATB Darrel

Odd how a similar amount of N140 behind a 125 FB berger in .308 doesn't require a mag primer. In fact using mag primers would push pressures through the roof..

6_5x47Lapua.jpg

In addition, 40 grains appears to be quite a hefty load compared to Vits own load data. I know they 'ere on the side of caution but it still seems hefty.. Surely mag primers should be used with extreme caution considering the powder charge..

Odd how a similar amount of N140 behind a 125 FB berger in .308 doesn't require a mag primer. In fact using mag primers would push pressures through the roof..

6_5x47Lapua.jpg

In addition, 40 grains appears to be quite a hefty load compared to Vits own load data. I know they 'ere on the side of caution but it still seems hefty.. Surely mag primers should be used with extreme caution considering the powder charge..

I think that you will fined that the lapua load data is crap???

And the differance between the 308 and the 6.5x47 being

6.5x47 small primer, small primer hole, large powder collum,,

needs a mag primer,,,,,

308 large primer, large primer hole, this does not need a mag primer,,,

at the moment my load is 38.6 grains of re 15,,, fps 3060,, 123 scenar

my other load is 41,8 grains of h4350

Both these loads have won small group patches

and i have set a new ukbra small group record of 2.225 at 600 yards,,,,

All i can tell you is that these mag primers work in my rifle!!!!!

I don,t know if you actualy own or use one??? Or you are just reading and then giving your

negative coments??????????

I own one, use one, and know how to load for it,,,,

F2n ;)

"I don,t know if you actualy own or use one??? Or you are just reading and then giving your

negative coments??????????"

Steady on there sunshine. I was unaware that the 6.5 x 47 used a small primer and as such the use of a mag primer makes sense.

I congratulate you on your success with the UKBRA small group record using your load and i bow to your obvious superior knowledge in this caliber.

I was not giving negative comments, merely expressing an opinion even if that opinion was born out of ignorance. I was simply offering a word of caution based on the powder manufacturers own data. What else am i to express an opinion on if i have no working experience with this caliber ?

I'm more than happy to stand up and be counted if i've made a foo pah and i expect to be corrected but i can do without the attitude please sir !

It's for me to apologise Darrel. Like you i have a back problem i'm waiting for surgery on.. The pain makes me a bit bolshy mate..

Hopefully i'll be fit enough to make the UKV shoot. I'd love to try your 6.5 if you're able to make it.. ;)

Grant...

hi all

i have been out today with a new scope on and the rifle shot good. needs tweaking when weather is better and i have a bit more time.

what i did notice is she sempt to throw one out every now and then. i had a five shot group about the same size as a five pence. then went out to 200y and i got 2 touching and 1 away.

but i will sort that out when i get my new scope. and put some more time in on the range.

ATB

Colin

PS i dropped my charge down to 39.5g of N140

i have got some cci br 4 primers to try

Colin

the CCI BR primers are excellent in the 6.5x47, however if your rifle has a large diameter firing pin, there have been some reported problems with primer failiure.

Another primer that works well is the Rem 7 1/2's (I understand) and Wolf primers (if you can find them)

All these have thicker cups than the Federal primers.

Varget and RL 15 are also good powders to try with the 47.

Archived