5mm Remington magnum rimfire round.

I saw a comment elsewhere here from Andrew, a member here who has one of the above in the United States, could you please give us a rundown on the round, the rifle you fire it in and its effectivness on things like groundhogs, coyotes etc.

Thanks

A

Uhh...devastating (with the new 30gr HP). The ammo is available now in Europe, (Midway International) and is quite snorty for a rimfire. I'm surprised it has never had a following in the UK, as it seems perfectly suited for the large hares and foxes you guys have...

Unfortunately I believe the rifles for 5mm were never sold here. If we want it we are going to either find someone willing to part with one in the USA and have it shipped here or wait untill the manufacturers decide to make the current crop of rimfires in this calibre. The next problem will be ammo at the moment the USA is swallowing up all that can be made yep some is drifting to europe but without the guns its pointless. Next problem try getting a 5mm rimfire onto your ticket at present unfortuantely some peoples FEO's may look a little bit puzzled. Its unfortunate as this cartridge has the potential to be sensational, it was well ahead of its time when it was first brought out. Had it arrived when the .17hmr did and had it been the same size case it probably would have been a roaring success the world over. Hopefully we will see new rifles in this calibre and ammo for this country, I will switch its a better round than both .17hmr and .22wmr. I will just keep me fingers crossed but I wont hold my breath.

5mmVarmintballistics.jpg

This is the ballistic table I generated while testing the 5mm Remington 30 grain HP. The BC was calculated using twin chronographs at the altitude and atmospheric conditions listed. The Chronograph was at 15 ft so the actual MV is closer to 2500 fps.

5mmVarmintbodyshot.jpg

This flea ridden rabbit was hit at around 90 yards from the window of my 5000 pound bench rest (jeep) and flew spectacularly when the new HP hit it. I took the photo where he landed.

It is a shame that the Authorities will boggle at the 5mm. Maybe if it was called a "20" Remington?? ;) As to the rifles, there are over 50K of them in the US so this ammo is a godsend. I will keep faith that a company here will decide to make a rifle in this chambering. As you said, it outperforms the 17HMR and 22WMR across the board. ~Andrew

I seriously doubt it would be popular in the Uk due to the cost of ammo.

.17hmr is £20 + per 100 rounds. I dread to think how much would be charged for a 5mm rimfire !

Here is the ballistic table for the .223. Is there any real advantage in the 5mm ?

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/223_remington.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_mm_Remington_Rimfire_Magnum

It looked an interesting round for those whose 17HMRs are not seeming to be that effective and being a rimmy it wont be that hard to have ground approved for it for those with closed tickets.

What is the ammo price from Midway UK?, I did a search but nothing came up on the Midway UK site, is it comparable with HMR costs, somehow I doubt it.

I do think a lightweight low powered 20 would be ideal for things up to charlie at 150 yards or so, there are a number of centerfire rounds that would do based on Hornet, Fireball, Bee cases but this being a rimmy might be easier to aquire for some.

A

A

Intl Midway - 5mm Ammo

I think you'd have to call for shipping rates, but it doesn't look too bad of a price...Also the newer Varmint HP stuff deosn't seem to have made it yet.

if you order off the us site through midway uk you'll pay $1 to £1 plus postage,so going on the us price your going to be looking at nearly £40 a 100 plus postage

atb paul

I seriously doubt it would be popular in the Uk due to the cost of ammo.

.17hmr is £20 + per 100 rounds. I dread to think how much would be charged for a 5mm rimfire !

Here is the ballistic table for the .223. Is there any real advantage in the 5mm ?

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/223_remington.html

You're kidding, right? You're comparing a .224 centerfire to a rimfire? ;) They are not in the same class. The 5mm is, as was suggested, a 150 yard varmint/vermin cartridge.~Andrew

I forgot to mention that I leave my 5mm sighted in +1 inch at 100 yards. This leaves me within an inch out to 130 yards with any hold and reduces hold over at 200 to 7.5 inches. It sure flattens the curve.

The Marine and I are heading to the SHOT Show in Las Vegas Monday evening. We'll talk to the manufacturer about the prospects for expansion to the UK. Maybe Eley could take on manufacturing as the 5mm utilizes the Eley Priming system. A couple of summers back we were testing a very high speed 40 grn .22LR round made by the same company while a Highland buddy of mine was in town. My buddy was ecstatic about the prototype so I talked to the maker about UK exports and he said that it just takes someone interested enough to want to make shipping worth the while.~Andrew

Archived